Addicted!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
zdeswarte
Puffer Fry
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:29 am
Location (country): Wisconsin, US

Addicted!

Post by zdeswarte »

Hi everyone my name is Zack and I'm new here. I got into the aquarium thing while shopping at petco for my fiancee's dog a couple months ago, and I have been insatiably hooked since. Bettas are seemingly a gateway drug! After I had my betta for a couple weeks I started looking for interesting freshwater fish to keep in small tanks (since I didn't have any aquarium supplies besides a 2.5 gallon tank for my betta) and stumbled on the dwarf puffer. After planning out a 5 gallon marineland planted tank, I stumbled on the green spotted puffer. Their care seemed a little complicated with transitioning from freshwater to brackish to marine depending on life stage and size, and they required a somewhat larger tank than the 15 gallon high that I was able to steal away from a friend of mine, so I looked up the other puffer listed on the tank at my lfs, the figure 8 puffer. It was love at first sight! They are the coolest looking puffers and having a brackish tank seemed like enough of a challenge without being overwhelming for a beginner. Hours upon hours of research later, I felt like I had a grasp on what they needed (and also how so many people have so many differing "facts" on the f8). I got the tank cycling with some messy black molly's and when that lfs finally got f8's in stock, I brought one home. Now to be part of the community of other puffer addicts!
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: Addicted!

Post by bertie 83 »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): Sweden

Re: Addicted!

Post by Tim »

[welcome]

Wonder if we should start placing bets when Zack will get a 120g+ for a Fahaka :lol:.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
User avatar
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 672
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:57 am
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Re: Addicted!

Post by scpion »

Welcome. I have running nose and my hand shivers just by not touching my puffer tank for a day..
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Addicted!

Post by Pufferpunk »

Bettas are seemingly a gateway drug!
Love that!!!

Just in case you haven't found them:
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Re: Addicted!

Post by Pufftastic »

F8s are my very favorite puffer. They're endlessly entertaining. Welcome, and enjoy!
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
User avatar
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Re: Addicted!

Post by purplecandle »

Tim wrote:[welcome]

Wonder if we should start placing bets when Zack will get a 120g+ for a Fahaka :lol:.
6 months max.



Welcome to puffer addiction! Endless hours of planing the next tank and searching the internet for the puffer you want and cannot find!
Image
User avatar
sgtmyers88
Moderator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA
Contact:

Re: Addicted!

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. Beware. lol
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: Addicted!

Post by bertie 83 »

All it takes is one puffer and you are left wanting more lol. Everytime I see a puffer I consider taking it home, it's so hard not to buy when you have so many tanks to put them in. Though to be honest I am like that with all fish, I nearly purchased a zebra plec for £140 today cos I thought he looked cool
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Addicted!

Post by Pufferpunk »

Be sure to feed it meaty foods.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:33 pm
Location (country): uk
Location: London

Re: Addicted!

Post by Arny »

bertie 83 wrote:All it takes is one puffer and you are left wanting more lol. Everytime I see a puffer I consider taking it home, it's so hard not to buy when you have so many tanks to put them in. Though to be honest I am like that with all fish, I nearly purchased a zebra plec for £140 today cos I thought he looked cool
Hey bertie where did you see that zebra plec?
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Re: Addicted!

Post by Master of Puffers »

Pufferpunk wrote:
Bettas are seemingly a gateway drug!
Love that!!!

I've never seen the appeal of bettas.Too many times I see them in teeny tiny glasses and then LFS selling unfiltered unheated "betta"tanks with reading lights attached..shudders.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Re: Addicted!

Post by Master of Puffers »

bertie 83 wrote:All it takes is one puffer and you are left wanting more lol. Everytime I see a puffer I consider taking it home, it's so hard not to buy when you have so many tanks to put them in.
And this, my dear Bertie is why I have over 12 cycled tanks awaiting thier puffer overlords ...
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
User avatar
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): Sweden

Re: Addicted!

Post by Tim »

Master of Puffers wrote: I've never seen the appeal of bettas.
Same, though mostly I just think it's a very ugly fish. :lol:
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
User avatar
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Re: Addicted!

Post by defool89 »

Master of Puffers wrote:
Pufferpunk wrote:
Bettas are seemingly a gateway drug!
Love that!!!

I've never seen the appeal of bettas.Too many times I see them in teeny tiny glasses and then LFS selling unfiltered unheated "betta"tanks with reading lights attached..shudders.
I dont agree with their small enclosures either...i think a minimum of 10g is at least something a betta deserves. but as in filtration, I heard they dont need oxygen from the water, they can also breath out of it through their mouths. So if water changes are frequent, im okay with it. I think they populate shallow stagnant water in nature around rice patties in Asia and have learned to adapt in those conditions by learning to breath above water, very neat little critters
You have the right to bear Puffers.
Post Reply