Addicted!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Addicted!
Hi everyone my name is Zack and I'm new here. I got into the aquarium thing while shopping at petco for my fiancee's dog a couple months ago, and I have been insatiably hooked since. Bettas are seemingly a gateway drug! After I had my betta for a couple weeks I started looking for interesting freshwater fish to keep in small tanks (since I didn't have any aquarium supplies besides a 2.5 gallon tank for my betta) and stumbled on the dwarf puffer. After planning out a 5 gallon marineland planted tank, I stumbled on the green spotted puffer. Their care seemed a little complicated with transitioning from freshwater to brackish to marine depending on life stage and size, and they required a somewhat larger tank than the 15 gallon high that I was able to steal away from a friend of mine, so I looked up the other puffer listed on the tank at my lfs, the figure 8 puffer. It was love at first sight! They are the coolest looking puffers and having a brackish tank seemed like enough of a challenge without being overwhelming for a beginner. Hours upon hours of research later, I felt like I had a grasp on what they needed (and also how so many people have so many differing "facts" on the f8). I got the tank cycling with some messy black molly's and when that lfs finally got f8's in stock, I brought one home. Now to be part of the community of other puffer addicts!
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Addicted!
Hi and welcome to the forum.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
- Tim
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 583
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Sweden
Re: Addicted!
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)
Wonder if we should start placing bets when Zack will get a 120g+ for a Fahaka
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
- scpion
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 672
- Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:57 am
- My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g - Location (country): singapore
Re: Addicted!
Welcome. I have running nose and my hand shivers just by not touching my puffer tank for a day..
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Addicted!
Love that!!!Bettas are seemingly a gateway drug!
Just in case you haven't found them:
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- Pufftastic
- Green Spotted Puffer
- Posts: 430
- Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm
- My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus - Location (country): California USA
Re: Addicted!
F8s are my very favorite puffer. They're endlessly entertaining. Welcome, and enjoy!
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
- purplecandle
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 2019
- Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer - Location (country): USA (NC)
Re: Addicted!
6 months max.Tim wrote:
Wonder if we should start placing bets when Zack will get a 120g+ for a Fahaka.
Welcome to puffer addiction! Endless hours of planing the next tank and searching the internet for the puffer you want and cannot find!
- sgtmyers88
- Moderator
- Posts: 1296
- Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
- Location (country): USA
- Contact:
Re: Addicted!
Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. Beware. lol
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Addicted!
All it takes is one puffer and you are left wanting more lol. Everytime I see a puffer I consider taking it home, it's so hard not to buy when you have so many tanks to put them in. Though to be honest I am like that with all fish, I nearly purchased a zebra plec for £140 today cos I thought he looked cool
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Addicted!
Be sure to feed it meaty foods.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- Arny
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1081
- Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:33 pm
- Location (country): uk
- Location: London
Re: Addicted!
Hey bertie where did you see that zebra plec?bertie 83 wrote:All it takes is one puffer and you are left wanting more lol. Everytime I see a puffer I consider taking it home, it's so hard not to buy when you have so many tanks to put them in. Though to be honest I am like that with all fish, I nearly purchased a zebra plec for £140 today cos I thought he looked cool
-
Master of Puffers
- Green Spotted Puffer
- Posts: 358
- Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: target puffer
fahaka
6 dwarf puffers - Location (country): La Belle Province
Re: Addicted!
Pufferpunk wrote:Love that!!!Bettas are seemingly a gateway drug!
I've never seen the appeal of bettas.Too many times I see them in teeny tiny glasses and then LFS selling unfiltered unheated "betta"tanks with reading lights attached..shudders.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
-
Master of Puffers
- Green Spotted Puffer
- Posts: 358
- Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: target puffer
fahaka
6 dwarf puffers - Location (country): La Belle Province
Re: Addicted!
And this, my dear Bertie is why I have over 12 cycled tanks awaiting thier puffer overlords ...bertie 83 wrote:All it takes is one puffer and you are left wanting more lol. Everytime I see a puffer I consider taking it home, it's so hard not to buy when you have so many tanks to put them in.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
- Tim
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 583
- Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Sweden
Re: Addicted!
Same, though mostly I just think it's a very ugly fish.Master of Puffers wrote: I've never seen the appeal of bettas.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
- defool89
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 821
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
- Location (country): United states, Garland Texas
Re: Addicted!
I dont agree with their small enclosures either...i think a minimum of 10g is at least something a betta deserves. but as in filtration, I heard they dont need oxygen from the water, they can also breath out of it through their mouths. So if water changes are frequent, im okay with it. I think they populate shallow stagnant water in nature around rice patties in Asia and have learned to adapt in those conditions by learning to breath above water, very neat little crittersMaster of Puffers wrote:Pufferpunk wrote:Love that!!!Bettas are seemingly a gateway drug!
I've never seen the appeal of bettas.Too many times I see them in teeny tiny glasses and then LFS selling unfiltered unheated "betta"tanks with reading lights attached..shudders.
You have the right to bear Puffers.