puffer eating pinky mice?

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Post Reply
User avatar
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

puffer eating pinky mice?

Post by defool89 »

I can only think of a thousand things on why i believe this is wrong, but not for the mouse but for things like the water and sickness.

I just removed the video. Some people may find it offensive. I dont see why but i do respect your opinion enough to have removed it before you saw it.


Its a baby mouse thrown in a tank while puffers knaw on him. Crazy.
You have the right to bear Puffers.
User avatar
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:11 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Re: puffer eating pinky mice?

Post by El Scorpio »

Hmm. I mean, mice are great for snakes, but.. well, y'know. Not for puffers.
User avatar
bunny
Puffer Fry
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:27 pm
Location (country): China Guangdong Provice

Re: puffer eating pinky mice?

Post by bunny »

defool89 wrote:I can only think of a thousand things on why i believe this is wrong, but not for the mouse but for things like the water and sickness.

I just removed the video. Some people may find it offensive. I dont see why but i do respect your opinion enough to have removed it before you saw it.


Its a baby mouse thrown in a tank while puffers knaw on him. Crazy.
Wow ~ actually , my little clearer --dace, was ate cause one day i feed them 1 hour later than before ~
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Re: puffer eating pinky mice?

Post by Master of Puffers »

I'm hoping it was a frozen pinky mouse rather than a live one. I know feeding live mice to snakes is frowned on in most hep circles.

I've heard of pirahna keepers feeding frozen pinkies to thier fish but never puffer keepers.

I'm sure in the wild puffers can and do eat what ever is available like most predators.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
User avatar
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): Sweden

Re: puffer eating pinky mice?

Post by Tim »

Master of Puffers wrote:I'm hoping it was a frozen pinky mouse rather than a live one.
Not sure how it is any worse than feeding live snails or shrimp at any rate. Pretty sure most of us do that :lol:.

I don't suppose someone knows how these mice are killed prior to freezing if at all?
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Re: puffer eating pinky mice?

Post by Master of Puffers »

google live pinky and snake images ..mice are agressive while being eaten, unsurprisingly..
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
User avatar
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:10 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA
Location: Seattle

Re: puffer eating pinky mice?

Post by Terrance »

Does not seem appropriate to feed mice for my puffers. Its not part of their natural diet.
Kind regards,
Terrance
User avatar
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:45 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): Sweden

Re: puffer eating pinky mice?

Post by Tim »

Terrance wrote:Does not seem appropriate to feed mice for my puffers. Its not part of their natural diet.
I sure wouldn't feed them to a puffer, but I wouldnt be surprised that if a puffer came across a rodent swimming in the water to try and take a bite :lol:
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
RTR
Mentor
Posts: 6155
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 4:39 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: puffer eating pinky mice?

Post by RTR »

Personally I have reservations about feeding lend animals to puffers or other fish. I just do not see mammalian flesh as significant part of a healthy diet for them. Not in my fish tanks.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Horsegirlmaddy
Puffer Fry
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:22 pm
Location (country): Canada

Re: puffer eating pinky mice?

Post by Horsegirlmaddy »

Tim wrote:
Master of Puffers wrote:I'm hoping it was a frozen pinky mouse rather than a live one.
Not sure how it is any worse than feeding live snails or shrimp at any rate. Pretty sure most of us do that :lol:.

I don't suppose someone knows how these mice are killed prior to freezing if at all?
I work at a pet store, so I can answer this for sure: they don't kill them first. There are rumors that the mice are "gased" before being frozen, but that's completely false.
Piranhas, oscars, arowana, and snakeheads very commonly eat frozen/thawed mice, although I know more than one fish keeper who feeds live for the thrill of it >< for ever one pinky mouse, there's about twenty times the nutritional value of a group of feeder fish. However, fed more than once every ten days, the fish is at risk of bloating, protein overload, constipation from the bones, and obesity. I've personally never heard of feeding mice to puffers, but IMO it seems a more economical option for,say, an adult mbu every once in a while. Probably better than live feeder fish, but that's just my thoughts. I personally give the oscars at our store any freezer burnt pinkies that a snake won't eat, and they seem to quite enjoy this occasional treat.
Post Reply