New to the puffer forum

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
User avatar
Sylar_92
Puffer Fry
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Figure 8 puffer and dwarf pea puffers
Location (country): Canada
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by Sylar_92 »

J-P wrote:can't say that argonite will be of use or not without knowing the pH of the tap water.
Last time I measured it's PH was a few months ago, with a reading of 7.2 ( nearly neutral ).
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sylar_92 wrote:A question I have always thought about was if it was possible to use kitchen grade non-iodize seasalt as a substitute for aquarium salt. I heard it was possible but I also heard it wasn't.
Yes, for the purposes of treating diseases (the only reason to use any salt in FW), table salt is fine:
library/water-filtration/thesaltoftheearth/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:54 pm
My Puffers: Albie (F8) soon to be rehomed
Milo and Millie (DPs)
Location (country): United States of America
Location: Ohio

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by Salmon »

Sylar_92 wrote:
J-P wrote:can't say that argonite will be of use or not without knowing the pH of the tap water.
Last time I measured it's PH was a few months ago, with a reading of 7.2 ( nearly neutral ).
so in your case, argonite would bring your pH up to 8 or 8.2
Those who say money can't buy happiness don't know where to find puffers.
User avatar
hadla
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by hadla »

J-P wrote:no salt... no salt, no salt..
rotfl! there was salt on the glass, big grains of salt

and welcome to tpf
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
User avatar
Sylar_92
Puffer Fry
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Figure 8 puffer and dwarf pea puffers
Location (country): Canada
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by Sylar_92 »

Heres the pic of my figure 8 a month ago while I was accimilating him to the tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by Pufftastic »

Absolutely adorable F8 you have there! I have two of them myself. Looking forward to hearing more about yours!
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
sevenyearnight

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by sevenyearnight »

Even if his pH were higher, I believe his KH would also have to be 10° - 14° (?) As the bacteria oxidizes ammonia, it depletes KH, and if the KH gets low between water changes, the pH may not remain steady.
Maybe some people have liquid rock for tap, but I know if I were to keep a F8, I'd have to use a calcium carbonate based substrate at the least. My KH is about 8 - 10 ppm and even though it comes out of the tap pH 6.8 - 7.0, it quickly drops to 6.0 and below.
Last edited by sevenyearnight on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Posts: 2938
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm
Location (country): Canada

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by Flutter »

Our water is close to liquid rock at about 18dH but we used an aragonite substance as long term stability is also very important. All of our tap water changes over the year and years. If your water is soft then the aragonite will slowly dissolve, if it is hard then it will not.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
sevenyearnight

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by sevenyearnight »

hadla wrote:
J-P wrote:no salt... no salt, no salt..
rotfl! there was salt on the glass, big grains of salt

and welcome to tpf
Huh?
User avatar
hadla
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by hadla »

sevenyearnight wrote:
hadla wrote:
J-P wrote:no salt... no salt, no salt..
rotfl! there was salt on the glass, big grains of salt

and welcome to tpf
Huh?
it was from the movie office space
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
mikesaturday

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by mikesaturday »

I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post
User avatar
eieio
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:34 am
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.
Location: Prescott, Arizona

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by eieio »

mikesaturday wrote:I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post
MMMMmmmmmmmm.......... :roll:
Image
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Black Widow

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by Black Widow »

eieio wrote:
mikesaturday wrote:I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post
MMMMmmmmmmmm.......... :roll:
Image
Hes not a spammer,

O wait his names gone black MMMMmmmmmmmm.......... 8)
User avatar
eieio
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:34 am
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.
Location: Prescott, Arizona

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by eieio »

Walrus Head wrote:
eieio wrote:
mikesaturday wrote:I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post
MMMMmmmmmmmm.......... :roll:
Image
Hes not a spammer,

O wait his names gone black MMMMmmmmmmmm.......... 8)
before his name turned black, he had two links in his post related to software sales, etc..........
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Black Widow

Re: New to the puffer forum

Post by Black Widow »

eieio wrote: he had two links in his post related to software sales, etc..........
Thats why his name is now Black ;)
Post Reply