Last time I measured it's PH was a few months ago, with a reading of 7.2 ( nearly neutral ).J-P wrote:can't say that argonite will be of use or not without knowing the pH of the tap water.
New to the puffer forum
- Sylar_92
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Figure 8 puffer and dwarf pea puffers
- Location (country): Canada
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: New to the puffer forum
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: New to the puffer forum
Yes, for the purposes of treating diseases (the only reason to use any salt in FW), table salt is fine:Sylar_92 wrote:A question I have always thought about was if it was possible to use kitchen grade non-iodize seasalt as a substitute for aquarium salt. I heard it was possible but I also heard it wasn't.
library/water-filtration/thesaltoftheearth/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- Salmon
- Green Spotted Puffer
- Posts: 270
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:54 pm
- My Puffers: Albie (F8) soon to be rehomed
Milo and Millie (DPs) - Location (country): United States of America
- Location: Ohio
Re: New to the puffer forum
so in your case, argonite would bring your pH up to 8 or 8.2Sylar_92 wrote:Last time I measured it's PH was a few months ago, with a reading of 7.2 ( nearly neutral ).J-P wrote:can't say that argonite will be of use or not without knowing the pH of the tap water.
Those who say money can't buy happiness don't know where to find puffers.
- hadla
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1626
- Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
- Location (country): California
- Location: Sacramento, CA
- Contact:
Re: New to the puffer forum
rotfl! there was salt on the glass, big grains of saltJ-P wrote:no salt... no salt, no salt..
and welcome to tpf
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
- Sylar_92
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Figure 8 puffer and dwarf pea puffers
- Location (country): Canada
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: New to the puffer forum
Heres the pic of my figure 8 a month ago while I was accimilating him to the tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Pufftastic
- Green Spotted Puffer
- Posts: 430
- Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm
- My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus - Location (country): California USA
Re: New to the puffer forum
Absolutely adorable F8 you have there! I have two of them myself. Looking forward to hearing more about yours!
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
-
sevenyearnight
Re: New to the puffer forum
Even if his pH were higher, I believe his KH would also have to be 10° - 14° (?) As the bacteria oxidizes ammonia, it depletes KH, and if the KH gets low between water changes, the pH may not remain steady.
Maybe some people have liquid rock for tap, but I know if I were to keep a F8, I'd have to use a calcium carbonate based substrate at the least. My KH is about 8 - 10 ppm and even though it comes out of the tap pH 6.8 - 7.0, it quickly drops to 6.0 and below.
Maybe some people have liquid rock for tap, but I know if I were to keep a F8, I'd have to use a calcium carbonate based substrate at the least. My KH is about 8 - 10 ppm and even though it comes out of the tap pH 6.8 - 7.0, it quickly drops to 6.0 and below.
Last edited by sevenyearnight on Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: New to the puffer forum
Our water is close to liquid rock at about 18dH but we used an aragonite substance as long term stability is also very important. All of our tap water changes over the year and years. If your water is soft then the aragonite will slowly dissolve, if it is hard then it will not.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Charles Darwin
-
sevenyearnight
Re: New to the puffer forum
Huh?hadla wrote:rotfl! there was salt on the glass, big grains of saltJ-P wrote:no salt... no salt, no salt..
and welcome to tpf
- hadla
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1626
- Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
- Location (country): California
- Location: Sacramento, CA
- Contact:
Re: New to the puffer forum
it was from the movie office spacesevenyearnight wrote:Huh?hadla wrote:rotfl! there was salt on the glass, big grains of saltJ-P wrote:no salt... no salt, no salt..
and welcome to tpf
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
-
mikesaturday
Re: New to the puffer forum
I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post
- eieio
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1033
- Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:34 am
- My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-( - Location (country): U.S.A.
- Location: Prescott, Arizona
Re: New to the puffer forum
MMMMmmmmmmmm..........mikesaturday wrote:I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
-
Black Widow
Re: New to the puffer forum
Hes not a spammer,eieio wrote:MMMMmmmmmmmm..........mikesaturday wrote:I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post![]()
O wait his names gone black MMMMmmmmmmmm..........
- eieio
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1033
- Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:34 am
- My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-( - Location (country): U.S.A.
- Location: Prescott, Arizona
Re: New to the puffer forum
before his name turned black, he had two links in his post related to software sales, etc..........Walrus Head wrote:Hes not a spammer,eieio wrote:MMMMmmmmmmmm..........mikesaturday wrote:I'm also new from this puffer forums. Thanks for the post![]()
O wait his names gone black MMMMmmmmmmmm..........
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
-
Black Widow
Re: New to the puffer forum
Thats why his name is now Blackeieio wrote: he had two links in his post related to software sales, etc..........