hello all

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
alcosta
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location (country): United States

hello all

Post by alcosta »

My name is Andrea and I am new to this site.
I will attempting to convert my freshwater to brackish tonight...super excited! Eventually get me a puff or two. I fell in love with them when a friend told me about them. So exctied!
User avatar
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Re: hello all

Post by purplecandle »

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19348

Read the above link for info on Brackish water mixing!

Welcome! What kind of puffer were you thinking? GSP or f8?
Image
User avatar
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 4167
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA
Location: Orange Park, FL

Re: hello all

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

howdy
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
alcosta
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location (country): United States

Re: hello all

Post by alcosta »

Thanks! so very helpful. I'm going to start tomorrow. I think I'm going to end up with F8's. I'm super excited about it.
User avatar
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:09 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)


Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America
Location: Kentucky

Re: hello all

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Welcome to the group.... :D
Chris,


He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Blaine

Re: hello all

Post by Blaine »

Welcome to the neighborhood!!!

Take your time,...do lots of research,...ask lots of questions...

You'll have a happy puffer before you know it.
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: hello all

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hi there! If I were you, I'd just keep the tank cycled as FW, since most BW puffers around here are sold in FW. Then when you are sure the tank can handle the bioload of the puffer, you can start slowly transitioning him to BW.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
alcosta
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:17 pm
Location (country): United States

Re: hello all

Post by alcosta »

Pufferpunk wrote:Hi there! If I were you, I'd just keep the tank cycled as FW, since most BW puffers around here are sold in FW. Then when you are sure the tank can handle the bioload of the puffer, you can start slowly transitioning him to BW.
Well's it's too late for that.
I have already done the transition. I have a good friend of mine that suggested switching to BW before I get the puffs that way it is cyceld and ready to go for them.
I'm super excited! I'm going today to get a Archer to help get the bio going along-hopefully in the next 4-5 weeks...I can get my puffs.

What do you think?
User avatar
trekenk
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:53 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: hello all

Post by trekenk »

What are your parameters and SG at now? How fast did you raise the SG? Never cycle your tank with fish.

library/water-filtration/fishlessconsiderations/

Welcome to The Puffer Forum.
Post Reply