Hi! Need help identifying a puffer.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
yogadhipa
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:26 pm
Location (country): Quebec, Canada

Hi! Need help identifying a puffer.

Post by yogadhipa »

Hi, my name is Sam, I live in Montreal Quebec, Canada.

I have a few tanks, one of them with dwarf puffers.

I bought the puffers six month ago, not all of them at the same time and place.
My problem is that I think one of them is not a dwarf puffer, not Carinotetraodon travancoricus anyway.
I searched the web trying to identify it with no luck, so I hope someone will be able to help me here.

I tried to take pictures but it's very hard to get a good shot, because unlike the other puffers in the tank,
it's very nervous. So I'm gonna describe it.

First it's about twice as big as my other dwarf puffers, otherwise it looks like them but not exactly:
it's yellow and black too, but the yellow lacks the golden aspect of C. travancoricus. The pattern is different too:
the dwarf puffers are kind of black spotted with clear borders, it's more like black stripped with blurred borders.
It's tail is orange with black in the middle, the base of the dorsal fin is orange too.
As I said before, it behaves differently and seems quite unhappy, it's very shy and very often it swims like crazy
against the side of the tank.

Since it doesn't seem to feel right in the tank, I'm gonna give it away. But before, I'd like to know what it is, so maybe
I can find someone who keep the same species and would like to have it.

Thanks for reading and helping me if you can.
Sorry for my English, I'm better with French :)

Sam
User avatar
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Re: Hi! Need help identifying a puffer.

Post by purplecandle »

Really, really need a pic! IDs are very difficult without pics.

Lately Canada has been getting cutcutia in...that would explain the Orange tail and the size.

Is it this one?
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/T_Cutcutia/
Image
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Re: Hi! Need help identifying a puffer.

Post by Master of Puffers »

Bonjour et beinvenue.

Which shop did you get it from??

see pm please..
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
yogadhipa
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:26 pm
Location (country): Quebec, Canada

Re: Hi! Need help identifying a puffer.

Post by yogadhipa »

Ok, I'm gonna take a picture, the other day I spent almost an hour trying to get a good shot...
I guess I'm gonna have to catch it and move it to a small container for the picture.
But for now lights are off, I'll try to post the picture tonight.

Thanks.

To purplecandle: It doesn't look like cutcutia, thanks anyway.
To Master of Puffers: Got your PM, I'll post the picture and we'll see what's next, thanks.
yogadhipa
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:26 pm
Location (country): Quebec, Canada

Re: Hi! Need help identifying a puffer.

Post by yogadhipa »

Hi, sorry I was a bit busy.
Thanks for your answers, it's not a cutcutia.

I finally managed to take some pictures by moving the puffer in a small container:

Image
Image
Image

Ok, maybe I'm not a great photographer :)
Post Reply