Page 1 of 1

Hi All

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:23 pm
by OllieNZ
Hi All,
Just got my first puffers today. 2 dwarf puffers
Image
And a quick pic of their new home
Image
After doing quite a bit of reading I think I'd like to have a go at breeding these little guys in my 60cm tank once it grows in, especially as my lfs sells them at a sexable size.

Regards

Ollie

Re: Hi All

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:25 pm
by Arny
Welcome Mate, nice looking tank you got there. Are you using Co2?

Re: Hi All

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:26 pm
by Nuclear_Glitter
There's one of those protector things over that pump right? Or at least no way for them to get sucked in? Way too many horror stories about dead puffers here from that. Welcome to the forum! They're very cute. Good luck breeding them.

Re: Hi All

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:29 pm
by Pufferpunk
[welcome]
That's a nice big tank for just 2 lil fellers!

Re: Hi All

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:29 pm
by Gooburz
WOW that is a beautiful tank! Hope I can get mine to look half as good as that! And welcome!

Re: Hi All

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:51 pm
by OllieNZ
Thanks All,
No co2 gas but I am using liquid carbon and EI dosing. The tank is 48x18x18 inches all optiwhite glass and currently using 1x 54w t5 bulb(the luminare holds 3)
The pump (3200l/hr btw) is switched off at the moment as it was ripping up my plants after I trimmed and replanted a load of stem tops Ill keep it off while the puffs are in there. The filter is 1500l/hr so is adequate for the moment.
They arent alone the tank also houses 10 cardinal tetras, 5 N. Brevis, 5 amano shrimp and 2 nerite snails.

Regards
Ollie

Re: Hi All

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:28 pm
by sgtmyers88
I would keep a close eye on your fish, even though they are just Dwarf puffers they are still puffers and all puffers like to take nibbling samples of anything and everything. Especially if it swims or crawls.

Re: Hi All

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:22 pm
by FADE2BLACK_1973
Beautiful tank.

Welcome to the group :D

Re: Hi All

Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:32 pm
by kcartwright856
Be prepared to lose any and all tank mates. It really is a gamble with DPs.

I suspect your nerite snails will be first to go.

Re: Hi All

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:54 am
by OllieNZ
Thanks All,
I'll be keeping a close eye on them and do have another tank I can move them into.
my observations so far: ignored the tetras, figured out to stay out of the brevis's way, found my nerites which they showed a bit of interest in but gave up in the end(the nerites are nearly twice their size :lol: ) and dont seem to have noticed the amanos.

Regards

Ollie