Page 1 of 1

Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:16 pm
by itsonlyme
Hi, I'm sure I'm useless and I'm looking in the wrong places but I can't find the answers to my many-a-question. Could some1 please direct me to the answers. I am replacing my 3 platies in a 10 gallon tank with a Puffer hopefully. My platies have multiplied and I now have 14 fish with no signs off slowing which is not practical in a small tank. I have homes for my adults and fry and I'm wondering if a puffer would be ok for my tank, I dont want to make another mistake like I did with my lovely platies. I have read that otocinclus are possible to home with a puffer, (my tank grows a lot of algea) would it be possible for my tank to house 3 otocinclus and a single dwarf puffer?
Any pointers in the right direction would be appriciated.
Hope your all having a fab Christmas

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:29 pm
by J-P
you are correct you could get 1 male and possibly 1 female in that tank, but I would suggest 1 male only.

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:56 pm
by itsonlyme
Thank you. That is good news! The more I read about them the more I want one. what about the oto or should I go to an otocinclus forum? . My tank is about 4mnths old now and I am used to doing weekly water changes, my platies are so messy, I have read that puffers are just as messy, my question is, is it right that I should do 50% water change each week? (that sounds alot) and is my tank ready (cycled enough) once my platies are re-homed in a few days? Is it ok to ask questions here? I have never been a member of a forum befor and am not sure of house rules ( I have read the rules)

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:14 pm
by bertie 83
Its touch and go with ottos. They are difficult to keep long term especially with a puffer nipping at them relentlessly

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:18 pm
by Pufferpunk

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:07 pm
by itsonlyme
Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=29296
That is what I wanted to read, thank you.
I am now wondering after reading PUFFERPUNKS advice, wether I should just carry on manualy removing algea and forget about the otos and consentrate on the puffer and plants...confused Folkestone.
I already feel guilty having to give up my platies due to my ignorance and want to make the right choice 2nd time around. I have a 10 gallon tank.
Cheers

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:11 pm
by itsonlyme
itsonlyme wrote:
Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=29296
That is what I wanted to read, thank you.
I am now wondering after reading PUFFERPUNKS advice, wether I should just carry on manualy removing algea and forget about the otos and consentrate on the puffer and plants...confused Folkestone.
I already feel guilty having to give up my platies due to my ignorance and want to make the right choice 2nd time around. I have a 10 gallon tank.
Cheers
Whoops BERTIE 83 advise on otos not PUFFERPUNKS

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:15 pm
by Pufferpunk
There's great info on both species you are researching, in that link I gave you.

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:22 pm
by itsonlyme
Pufferpunk wrote:There's great info on both species you are researching, in that link I gave you.
Thank you it was usefull reading and makes me think that I can have both but the recent comment by the other forum friend makes me waver

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:03 pm
by Pufferpunk
Trust our articles here.

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:35 pm
by J-P
most of what you read here is written with blood, sweat and tears. It is not re-hashed and not 2nd hand. These are real owners and scientists giving you their best advice.


BTW... what is the "other forum" ?

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:25 pm
by itsonlyme
J-P wrote:most of what you read here is written with blood, sweat and tears. It is not re-hashed and not 2nd hand. These are real owners and scientists giving you their best advice.


BTW... what is the "other forum" ?
Hi,
This forum, the 3rd comment after my initial post.

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:32 pm
by itsonlyme
I do not get forums, I cant find all the answers to my questions and I have spent hours over weeks reading, I'm sure u pro's r bored with all the questions. But I was told "go to a forum they will help u out". The fish shops dont know the answers and googling contradicts itself, whats a girl got to do?????????????????????????

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:59 pm
by Pufferpunk
Just post your questions & all here are happy to answer them .:)

Re: Hi and happy christmas

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:41 am
by bertie 83
Any questions will be answered for you, the members here have masses of experience. I have not had any success with ottos, maybe not enough real algae in my tanks, however when I housed them with my puffers they always got eaten or killed by continuous nipping.