Hi and happy christmas
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Hi and happy christmas
Hi, I'm sure I'm useless and I'm looking in the wrong places but I can't find the answers to my many-a-question. Could some1 please direct me to the answers. I am replacing my 3 platies in a 10 gallon tank with a Puffer hopefully. My platies have multiplied and I now have 14 fish with no signs off slowing which is not practical in a small tank. I have homes for my adults and fry and I'm wondering if a puffer would be ok for my tank, I dont want to make another mistake like I did with my lovely platies. I have read that otocinclus are possible to home with a puffer, (my tank grows a lot of algea) would it be possible for my tank to house 3 otocinclus and a single dwarf puffer?
Any pointers in the right direction would be appriciated.
Hope your all having a fab Christmas
Any pointers in the right direction would be appriciated.
Hope your all having a fab Christmas
- J-P
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 5626
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Japan
- Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Re: Hi and happy christmas
you are correct you could get 1 male and possibly 1 female in that tank, but I would suggest 1 male only.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Re: Hi and happy christmas
Thank you. That is good news! The more I read about them the more I want one. what about the oto or should I go to an otocinclus forum? . My tank is about 4mnths old now and I am used to doing weekly water changes, my platies are so messy, I have read that puffers are just as messy, my question is, is it right that I should do 50% water change each week? (that sounds alot) and is my tank ready (cycled enough) once my platies are re-homed in a few days? Is it ok to ask questions here? I have never been a member of a forum befor and am not sure of house rules ( I have read the rules)
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Hi and happy christmas
Its touch and go with ottos. They are difficult to keep long term especially with a puffer nipping at them relentlessly
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hi and happy christmas
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Re: Hi and happy christmas
That is what I wanted to read, thank you.
I am now wondering after reading PUFFERPUNKS advice, wether I should just carry on manualy removing algea and forget about the otos and consentrate on the puffer and plants...confused Folkestone.
I already feel guilty having to give up my platies due to my ignorance and want to make the right choice 2nd time around. I have a 10 gallon tank.
Cheers
Re: Hi and happy christmas
Whoops BERTIE 83 advise on otos not PUFFERPUNKSitsonlyme wrote:That is what I wanted to read, thank you.
I am now wondering after reading PUFFERPUNKS advice, wether I should just carry on manualy removing algea and forget about the otos and consentrate on the puffer and plants...confused Folkestone.
I already feel guilty having to give up my platies due to my ignorance and want to make the right choice 2nd time around. I have a 10 gallon tank.
Cheers
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hi and happy christmas
There's great info on both species you are researching, in that link I gave you.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Re: Hi and happy christmas
Thank you it was usefull reading and makes me think that I can have both but the recent comment by the other forum friend makes me waverPufferpunk wrote:There's great info on both species you are researching, in that link I gave you.
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hi and happy christmas
Trust our articles here.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- J-P
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 5626
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Japan
- Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Re: Hi and happy christmas
most of what you read here is written with blood, sweat and tears. It is not re-hashed and not 2nd hand. These are real owners and scientists giving you their best advice.
BTW... what is the "other forum" ?
BTW... what is the "other forum" ?
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Re: Hi and happy christmas
Hi,J-P wrote:most of what you read here is written with blood, sweat and tears. It is not re-hashed and not 2nd hand. These are real owners and scientists giving you their best advice.
BTW... what is the "other forum" ?
This forum, the 3rd comment after my initial post.
Re: Hi and happy christmas
I do not get forums, I cant find all the answers to my questions and I have spent hours over weeks reading, I'm sure u pro's r bored with all the questions. But I was told "go to a forum they will help u out". The fish shops dont know the answers and googling contradicts itself, whats a girl got to do?????????????????????????
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hi and happy christmas
Just post your questions & all here are happy to answer them .
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Hi and happy christmas
Any questions will be answered for you, the members here have masses of experience. I have not had any success with ottos, maybe not enough real algae in my tanks, however when I housed them with my puffers they always got eaten or killed by continuous nipping.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)