Good Evening fellow puffer lovers.

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
kali78
Puffer Fry
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:02 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Green spotted puffers, figure 8 puffer.
Location (country): England

Good Evening fellow puffer lovers.

Post by kali78 »

I just thought id take the opportunity to say hi as iv only just joined the puffer fourum.

My love of puffers came quite by accident. Firstly I went to sharm eh Sheikh in egypt and spent the day snorkling in Ras Mohhammed national park. The guide got excited and told us today we were very lucky as we spotted a pait of puffers in the corals. We followed them as they swam and it was amazing!!

A few months later I cam across some puffers in an aquatic shop. They were so cute and they were looking at me through the glass as i swear inside there minds they were saying take me home!!

I thought id give it some consideration and went back the next day. I had done a bit of reasearch on the internet. They were marked up as fugure 8 puffers. When I went back I asked for one and explained I had a 1.5 foot tank. (eeeeeekkkkk i hear you al say but read on) I only wanted one as id read they could be aggressive but she said one would be lonley. So I said well what about 2? she said 2 may fight so 3 may be better, so I chose 3. but she said that would leave one left and that it would be lonley so why didnt i take all 4. she also told me there were fresh warer fish.

So off i went with my 4 puffers back home to put in my tiny tank. As I started reasearching more I realised that they were infact not figure 8's but green spotted puffers that needed to live in brackish (i didnt even know what brackish meant) warer needed 30/40 gallons each and a specialised diet!!

Anyway to cut a long store short, I have 2 of the gsp's left as I didnt have space for all 4 in the (Large) new tank. so 2 got rehomed. and they are doing great. Im keeping them im high brackish 0.012 and intend to go marine at a later date as they mature. I also have a figure 8 in a different set up on low brackish.

Im also getting a large, mature Ceylon soon so you could say I have the puffer habbit already.

I cant believe how miss informed I was about these little guys at a specialised aquatic shop but thankfully i did my homework and my guys are now doing well in brackish.

Anyway thanks for listening to my ramblings and hope to chat to some of you soon. Claire x
corin
Puffer Fry
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:43 pm
Location (country): england

Re: Good Evening fellow puffer lovers.

Post by corin »

hi and welcome to the forum like you I'm new too. I have acquired three dwarf puffers who had been sold to go in a community tank which caused a few problems. mine like yours are a few of the lucky ones how many suufer or worse still because of lack of knowledge and care.
Good luck with them and have fun. Corin
kali78
Puffer Fry
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:02 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Green spotted puffers, figure 8 puffer.
Location (country): England

Re: Good Evening fellow puffer lovers.

Post by kali78 »

Thank goodness for the Internet eh, what ever did we do without it! There is so
Much info out there on puffers and I'm so glad I stumbled across this site as im sure i stillhave so much more to learn. X
Blaine

Re: Good Evening fellow puffer lovers.

Post by Blaine »

Welcome to the neighborhood !!!
User avatar
greenspottedlover
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:47 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): Vermont

Re: Good Evening fellow puffer lovers.

Post by greenspottedlover »

Welcome! :)
Image
User avatar
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:09 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)


Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America
Location: Kentucky

Re: Good Evening fellow puffer lovers.

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

[welcome] Sounds like you got it down pat, imo.
Chris,


He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Post Reply