Hi glad to be here
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Hi glad to be here
Hi.. My name is Gina and I live in Arizona. I have kept fish off and on since I was a kid.
However, I have never kept a puffer and I am considering it now..
Thank you for having this forum available!
Gina
However, I have never kept a puffer and I am considering it now..
Thank you for having this forum available!
Gina
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hi glad to be here
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)
What kind of puffer are you considering?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- J-P
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 5626
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Japan
- Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Re: Hi glad to be here
Welcome to the forum!!
If you find a little guy that interests you, you can always fact check it here before buying:
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/
If you find a little guy that interests you, you can always fact check it here before buying:
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Re: Hi glad to be here
Hehehe. Welcome 
Once you get a puffer you'll be hooked
Once you get a puffer you'll be hooked
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Charles Darwin
- c333davis
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 187
- Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:10 pm
- Gender: Female
- Location (country): Jacksonville, FL, USA
Re: Hi glad to be here
Welcome, GinaGV! Good for you for researching a pet before buying! I wasn't as smart as you, but fortunately for me and my puffer, this forum helped me learn what I needed to do to provide a good home.
~ Candice
With the following creatures in various tanks:
1 GSP with live rock and red mushrooms (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25686)
1 Red-ear Slider Turtle—32-yrs-old!
1 African Cichlid - not sure of species
2 Green Terror Cichlids
2 Jack Dempsey Cichlids
~30 Jewel Cichlids
With the following creatures in various tanks:
1 GSP with live rock and red mushrooms (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25686)
1 Red-ear Slider Turtle—32-yrs-old!
1 African Cichlid - not sure of species
2 Green Terror Cichlids
2 Jack Dempsey Cichlids
~30 Jewel Cichlids
Re: Hi glad to be here
Thank you for the kind welcome.
I have a 20 gallon tank that is currently empty. I found some really inquisitive dwarf puffers at our LPS and they caught my attention...
I'm considering setting this up for the puffer. They are young and probably hard to discover gender for sure, so even though its big, I probably would only get 1 to make sure of no aggression... I mean I already have everything a 20 gallon needs... why go out and buy something smaller when I still would have an empty tank?
Hope that makes sense... I guess another reservation I have is the providing live snails for them to eat... I read somewhere on the net that I could put in a cuttlebone, like they put in bird cages, and the puffer would chew on it instead and I could offer other food instead....
Anyway, comments? advice?
Gina
I have a 20 gallon tank that is currently empty. I found some really inquisitive dwarf puffers at our LPS and they caught my attention...
I'm considering setting this up for the puffer. They are young and probably hard to discover gender for sure, so even though its big, I probably would only get 1 to make sure of no aggression... I mean I already have everything a 20 gallon needs... why go out and buy something smaller when I still would have an empty tank?
Hope that makes sense... I guess another reservation I have is the providing live snails for them to eat... I read somewhere on the net that I could put in a cuttlebone, like they put in bird cages, and the puffer would chew on it instead and I could offer other food instead....
Anyway, comments? advice?
Gina
Re: Hi glad to be here
DPs tend to be harder fish to feed. They seem to be more picky than most. Can you get live blackworms? People tend to have the most success with them. When I had mine they mostly ate bloodworms, I didn't know better then. Thankfully though, they don't demand as much crunchy food as other puffers.
Here's an article on feeding puffers.
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
Have you seen other puffers around you? Irrubescos or F8s (light brackish however) can also fit in a 20gal. DPs are awesome little fish though. The other option is that you could buy them and sell them if you have too many males or you could put a divider in the tank.
Here's an article on feeding puffers.
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
Have you seen other puffers around you? Irrubescos or F8s (light brackish however) can also fit in a 20gal. DPs are awesome little fish though. The other option is that you could buy them and sell them if you have too many males or you could put a divider in the tank.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Charles Darwin
- FADE2BLACK_1973
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1185
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:09 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)
Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish - Location (country): United States of America
- Location: Kentucky
Re: Hi glad to be here
Welcome to the group, GinaGinaGV wrote:Thank you for the kind welcome.
I have a 20 gallon tank that is currently empty. I found some really inquisitive dwarf puffers at our LPS and they caught my attention...
I'm considering setting this up for the puffer. They are young and probably hard to discover gender for sure, so even though its big, I probably would only get 1 to make sure of no aggression... I mean I already have everything a 20 gallon needs... why go out and buy something smaller when I still would have an empty tank?
Hope that makes sense... I guess another reservation I have is the providing live snails for them to eat... I read somewhere on the net that I could put in a cuttlebone, like they put in bird cages, and the puffer would chew on it instead and I could offer other food instead....
Anyway, comments? advice?
Gina
Chris,
He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Hi glad to be here
Hi Chris,
Oh I have tons of MTS in my 55 gallon tank.. I just have a problem of watching something die because I chose it to go in there... I guess Im just over sensitive? Ok.. Im a wimp.. there.. I said it... which is why I was asking about a cuttlebone working for the puffer to gnaw on to keep the teeth down. I feed my other fish frozen worms and brine shrimp... as well as flakes, pellets, veggies... etc..
Maybe puffers aren't a good fit for me, if I can't watch live things die.... (please don't make fun of me lol )
Gina
Oh I have tons of MTS in my 55 gallon tank.. I just have a problem of watching something die because I chose it to go in there... I guess Im just over sensitive? Ok.. Im a wimp.. there.. I said it... which is why I was asking about a cuttlebone working for the puffer to gnaw on to keep the teeth down. I feed my other fish frozen worms and brine shrimp... as well as flakes, pellets, veggies... etc..
Maybe puffers aren't a good fit for me, if I can't watch live things die.... (please don't make fun of me lol )
Gina
- c333davis
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 187
- Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:10 pm
- Gender: Female
- Location (country): Jacksonville, FL, USA
Re: Hi glad to be here
I understand! I just told someone the other day that I have to hum "The Circle of Life" to myself when I feed snails to my puff.GinaGV wrote:Maybe puffers aren't a good fit for me, if I can't watch live things die.... (please don't make fun of me lol)
~ Candice
With the following creatures in various tanks:
1 GSP with live rock and red mushrooms (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25686)
1 Red-ear Slider Turtle—32-yrs-old!
1 African Cichlid - not sure of species
2 Green Terror Cichlids
2 Jack Dempsey Cichlids
~30 Jewel Cichlids
With the following creatures in various tanks:
1 GSP with live rock and red mushrooms (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25686)
1 Red-ear Slider Turtle—32-yrs-old!
1 African Cichlid - not sure of species
2 Green Terror Cichlids
2 Jack Dempsey Cichlids
~30 Jewel Cichlids
Re: Hi glad to be here
I'm a wimp too. You get more used to it over time. All of our tanks are busy and we put shrimp in overnight so they have a fair chance at finding hiding places. I crush snails. It seems really icky at first but I use pliers and give one quick strong crush. They're dead instantly so there's no suffering.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Charles Darwin
-
sevenyearnight
Re: Hi glad to be here
This is so awesome! LolI understand! I just told someone the other day that I have to hum "The Circle of Life" to myself when I feed snails to my puff.
- FADE2BLACK_1973
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1185
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:09 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)
Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish - Location (country): United States of America
- Location: Kentucky
Re: Hi glad to be here
Gina, I been feeding my Fahaka puffer live red claw crabs that you buy from the lfs or such and had to save one for the kids because they did not want to see the live crab being eaten by the puffer like its a potato chip..lol. But they got a kick out of it when they saw it done for the very 1st time though. So for now on, I will just feed while the kids are in school but still keep that other one for them...lol. Btw, before I could buy them from the petshop, I had to sign a form for them. I was like do I have to? They told me it was their pet policy. Thinking to myself, glad they don't know what im going to do with these..lol. Its my way of help keeping his teeth filed down but thats for a very large puffer. Well other smaller puffers can kill and eat live small crabs too but not dwarf's though. Every once in awhile feed those lil snail to your DP's will help the puffer. Btw, I feed the live crabs to my fahaka once to twice a month.
Chris,
He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Re: Hi glad to be here
well the ironic thing here is MY kid (who is 18) would be thrilled to watch snails get eaten alive.. she's odd like that lol.
I even have to turn my head and not watch when hubby smacks spiders and stuff inside the house.. He's like Clint Eastwood or something with that slipper.. LOL
Gina
I even have to turn my head and not watch when hubby smacks spiders and stuff inside the house.. He's like Clint Eastwood or something with that slipper.. LOL
Gina
- FADE2BLACK_1973
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1185
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:09 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)
Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish - Location (country): United States of America
- Location: Kentucky
Re: Hi glad to be here
GinaGV wrote:well the ironic thing here is MY kid (who is 18) would be thrilled to watch snails get eaten alive.. she's odd like that lol.
I even have to turn my head and not watch when hubby smacks spiders and stuff inside the house.. He's like Clint Eastwood or something with that slipper.. LOL
Gina
There you go, have your daughter start feeding your puffer the live snails so you don't have to..lol.
Chris,
He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson