Hello

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Redwing19
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United states

Hello

Post by Redwing19 »

I’ve just recently discovered how cool freshwater puffers can be! I’ve had fish tanks my entire life and very recently found all the cool freshwater species. Been mostly a salty for the past ten years.

I’ve been researching freshwater puffers for about a week and really considering a larger variety. My idea is at least 72 gal bow front probably more around 100gal for the living room.

I have a few species in mind:
Fahaka puffer
abei puffer
Spotted Congo
Amazon puffer

Id like to stay away from brackish, just because I’m burnout on buying saltmix all the time for water changes.

There’s such a wealth of knowledge on here, I’m just wondering if you guys and gals have any tank setup ideas. I’d like activity, since the tank will be where everyone can see. Or any other puffer species I missed that you would suggest. Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Hello

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]

I wouldn't put a fahaka in <120g.
Abei is close to impossible to procure. I don't trust any of the suppliers. I bought a fish that was supposed to be the exact fish pictured at their site & they sent me a turgidus, which I already had!

Spotted Congos are available but expect to pay well over $100 for each. they like to be in groups. Good thing about them is they can get along with lots of other fish.

Same thing with Amazons as far as getting along with other fish but they have serious dentistry issues.

Another fish back on the market is the A modestus. Very cool fish! If you can find 3 of them that are juveniles that appear to get along together, you may be able to grow them up together.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Redwing19
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United states

Post by Redwing19 »

Thanks for the reply. I think im leaning to the Fahaka. Id probably like the group of spotted congo's but like you said that's getting pricey. Do you have any tank setup recommendations? I noticed that most Fahaka's available for sale are only a few inches. I was thinking of getting the Fahaka and putting it in my 55gal for alittle until it gets larger. So theres not a tiny fish in a 120gal plus tank.

Also, any recommendations for starting a snail breeding tank? Pond snails or Ramshorn? Size?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have a small fahaka in my 120g, he loves it!
library/feeding/basic-snail-breeding/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"