Another hello from Connecticut!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
zooropa42
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:40 am
My Puffers: Three pea puffers
Location (country): Connecticut, United States

Another hello from Connecticut!

Post by zooropa42 »

Hi there, I am new to the forum and would like to say hello! First off, your forum is extremely informative and educational and was integral in helping me choose the type of fish I settled on (pea puffers) and the tank setup and feeding and care, so THANK YOU!!

I recently got a small aquarium with three little pea puffers. I chose them because of their relatively easy care in comparison to larger and more complex fish/setup requirements and the east of acquiring food for them, but most of all, their little spunky attitudes! I adore big personalities in small packages so these guys are a perfect fit. They enjoy their frozen bloodworms and after the third day of having them home, already recognize the food syringe and swim up to it. I had goldfish and koi growing up (along with frogs and snails) and wanted something a little more in the personality department, and these guys are awesome!

Thank you for all your helpful information and posts, and for making this site free for us all to peruse. Have a great day!
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: Another hello from Connecticut!

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome. Dps are really amazing little fish.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Another hello from Connecticut!

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
How "small" is small?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
zooropa42
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:40 am
My Puffers: Three pea puffers
Location (country): Connecticut, United States

Re: Another hello from Connecticut!

Post by zooropa42 »

It's a 5 gallon :)
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Another hello from Connecticut!

Post by Pufferpunk »

Minimum 10g for 3. Are they mature enough to be sexed?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
zooropa42
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:40 am
My Puffers: Three pea puffers
Location (country): Connecticut, United States

Re: Another hello from Connecticut!

Post by zooropa42 »

I've been trying to figure that out myself! I have one "bossy" fish who is semi-territorial and will argue a bit over food, but the fish's markings are light and cloudy. The other two, one of which is smaller, has darker markings but no stripe on the belly or dark around the eyes, so it may be a female. The other one is larger and has dark markings but no striped belly, so I'll see if they "grow into" any colorings in the next few weeks. They are energetic, and really enjoy hunting the snails! So amazing to watch!!
Post Reply