newbie needs help!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
jo&mandy
Puffer Fry
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:53 am
Location (country): United States of America

newbie needs help!

Post by jo&mandy »

Hi my name is Joleen and I've just become the parent of two green spotted puffers. Unfortunately it is because my best friend passed away unexpectedly. They were very important to her, and while I'm honored to have them and to pay tribute to her in this special way, I have no idea how to care for them and will need all the help I can get. I'm eperienced in reptiles but know little about these unique creatures. One is about three to four inches and the other is about two inches and they are in a 75 gallon tank. They are well cared for but may have been neglected over the past week. I have not yet moved them to my house so any tips about how best to do that would bee greatly appreciated as well. Thank you so much!
Joleen
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: newbie needs help!

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
So sorry for your loss. :( I can't even imagine...

Before you move them, are there any test kits at their home? I'd test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & use a hydrometer to check the salt content (specific gravity or SG). Please post all those results here. You're going to probably need to do several water changes to get that tank up to the par of what is healthy water for them to be living in (as close to tap water as possible), so you can just fill the tank with tap water after the move. That means, doing 25% WC every day (with water that has matching SG) for 4-5 days. Please post your questions here, I'm sure you're going to have lots!

Here's some reading for you:
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
sgtmyers88
Moderator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA
Contact:

Re: newbie needs help!

Post by sgtmyers88 »

However, if you are on a city water supply make sure your Tap is treated with a declhorinator such as Prime or Aquasafe before adding the fish or water to the tank.
http://www.petco.com/product/7929/Seach ... 7AodCTQAbA

It probably would not hurt to also read up on this and grab a bottle to be safe.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32416

And sorry for your loss.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
jo&mandy
Puffer Fry
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:53 am
Location (country): United States of America

Re: newbie needs help!

Post by jo&mandy »

Thank you so much for your advice! I know she had test kits of all kinds so I will definitely check for those things and post the results before I do anything. I'm also going to solicit the help of a friend of mine that owns a fish store. The li ght has been left om since their owner passed on the fourth so the tank is going through an algae bloom. Her fiance is obviously having some issues right now and he is going to call me when he's ready for me to take them. He is feeding them, but does not know how to do a water change. How long can they safely go without one? Or does that depend entirely on the levels of everything? If they're in danger I might be able to convince to let me go over there and do one. I'm just trying to give him some time if possible. But Mandy would be smacking us both upside the head if her fish died...
Post Reply