Hi! new here on the forum

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
anouk
Puffer Fry
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:08 pm
Gender: Female
Location (country): the Netherlands
Location: the Netherlands

Hi! new here on the forum

Post by anouk »

Hi everyone,

My name is Anouk, and i'm 24 (almost 25) years old. And i'm from the Netherlands.
I've had different kind of puffers sinds i was about eleven. But unfortunatly i don't have allot of time anymore to take care of multiple tanks, so my only tank right now is a 500L (i believe thats about 130G ?) Saltwater tank thats about 1.5 years old, and currently houses the following:

- (completly)black dogface puffer (Arothron nigropunctatus)
- false eyed toby (is this name correct? Either way the scientific one is Canthigaster Solandri)
(not really sure of the common english names of the following fish, so the scientific names will have to do)
- Zebrasoma flavescens
- Siganus magnificus
- Halichoeres melanurus
- Mespilia globulus
- a bunch of different kind of snails (mainly for feeding/snacking, and if still alive they're joining the cleaning crew ;) )
- a bunch of hermitcrabs
- and about 3-4 crabs (which will become food some day)
The scape is done with live rock, and varius corals (mainly different kinds of soft corals). The fish are all very easy going, and none are agressive towards eachother. The dogface puffer is about 15 cm right now, and once i start to notice that he needs more room i'll get him a bigger tank (Great excuse for a bigger tank :D ). I've been reading allot about puffers and saltwater, but you can never learn enough so i hope to learn some more on this forum. :D
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Sounds wonderful, WE NEED PICS! :D
Soooo glad you said you'll be upgrading... ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
anouk
Puffer Fry
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:08 pm
Gender: Female
Location (country): the Netherlands
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by anouk »

I have one pic here on this computer, but i really need to learn how to take pics of black fish with marine lightsetting haha.
And its taken with my phone so its crappy quality ;)
( btw the fish doesn't have ick, the windows needed cleaning :redface:, if you look close you'll see that the dots are green, and not white haha )

Image

I'll be upgrading as soon as they seem to need more room or when i notice that my tank can't take the waste anymore, but eventhough is sounds like allot of fish they still have plenty of room for now :) . My scape is quite open, so there is allot of swimming room. I'll try to upload a pic of the whole tank :D
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by Pufferpunk »

Wow, stunning, gorgeous, impressive fish!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:33 pm
Location (country): uk
Location: London

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by Arny »

Wow cool df. How much did he cost?
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome, does your dogface not nip at your corals?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
anouk
Puffer Fry
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:08 pm
Gender: Female
Location (country): the Netherlands
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by anouk »

Thanks everyone!

@arny I bought the puffer for 225 euro's. It's not cheap but also not to expensive, haven't seen them on stocklist before or after here in the area so I don't know if the price was good, but I'm very happy with him :)
@bertie83 so far he leaves the corals alone, but I mostly have soft corals. I don't think hard corals will have a long live haha! I might buy some (cheap) small pieces just for him to feed on, because it's a natural food supply. But I'll need to do some reasuch on that first (as in which corals) ;)
User avatar
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:33 pm
Location (country): uk
Location: London

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by Arny »

anouk wrote:Thanks everyone!

@arny I bought the puffer for 225 euro's. It's not cheap but also not to expensive, haven't seen them on stocklist before or after here in the area so I don't know if the price was good, but I'm very happy with him :)
@bertie83 so far he leaves the corals alone, but I mostly have soft corals. I don't think hard corals will have a long live haha! I might buy some (cheap) small pieces just for him to feed on, because it's a natural food supply. But I'll need to do some reasuch on that first (as in which corals) ;)
Id def pay that much for him, hes gorgeous
User avatar
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:33 pm
Location (country): uk
Location: London

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by Arny »

Hey mate would you be able to show us some more pix or a vid of your puffer eatting please :)
anouk
Puffer Fry
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:08 pm
Gender: Female
Location (country): the Netherlands
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by anouk »

I have a short video of him eating, just not sure how to get it on this site (it's uploaded with photobucket). I also made some pictures with a decent camera, but I still need to upload these. So if anyone knows which link I need to use, I'll put it on here
anouk
Puffer Fry
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:08 pm
Gender: Female
Location (country): the Netherlands
Location: the Netherlands

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by anouk »

I hope this link works, it's a short video of him eating a shrimp from the tweezers (well close enough try I guess haha)

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 16_1_1.mp4
User avatar
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:33 pm
Location (country): uk
Location: London

Re: Hi! new here on the forum

Post by Arny »

Cool mate thx. I love him :)
Post Reply