Hello Everyone!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
User avatar
Liliana
Puffer Fry
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Two GSP in an 80 gallon tank
Location (country): United States
Location: Colorado

Hello Everyone!

Post by Liliana »

I'm very glad I came across this site. It's nice to have other Puffer Lovers to chat with and get some guidance from. I'm new to this site, but not extremely new to puffers. I first started with Green spotted puffers a few years back. Unfortunately, I was one of those people that goes to the store, looks at the fish, and is all-Oh! Theyre so cute! and buys them without getting any background info on the fish. Quite quickly, I discovered that they needed to have the brackish water and a lot of other things to keep them happy. Unfortunately, I was quite young and didn't really know what I was doing..my parents basically just bought them for me because I liked them.
Due to all of this, and not checking the Nitrate, Nitrite, and ammonia, my two puffers died within 6 months.

Shortly after that, they stopped carrying puffers in my area. A few years later, they have the puffers available again and I was quite excited to start anew. I did some research, got the necessary supplies, bought a 40 gallon tank and recycled the water with some mollies for a few days before I bought the two little guys that I have swimming in my tank now. Theyre usually very happy, get along well, and love to swim up and down the sides of the aquarium glass. The only time they get a little snippy with each other is when they are both trying to rip into their food.

Pictures of my 40 gallon tank:
Image
Image

I love to spin poi, and besides my puffers I also have a parakeet and a little pug (who is sadly, getting old). Writing is a good hobby of mine and I enjoy drawing as well.
If anyone could please look at my post -Green Spotted Puffer Help, Parasite? Whenever it gets up and posted by the admin that would be great. I seriously need some help for my other puffer that is in another tank. He's got some kind of 'bump' thing on his back and it moved the other day behind his eye, and then went back to his back. I feel like there's something I'm missing and I would like to help the little guy.

Thanks guys, and hello to everyone here!
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome, I see you have a 40g tall tank, that is certainly a good start. As they grow the footprint of a long tank will be much better for them. They will need 55g minimum for the pair but 75g is more suitable. As I said in your other thread being wild caught the bump could be almost anything I'm afraid. You need to keep a very close eye on your water it takes weeks to cycle a tank with fish, also mollies may not produce waste like puffers so you have upped the bio- load instantly. We use the fishless cycle here as it enables you to fully stock your tank from the time the cycle is complete, also we then don't have to put fish through the ordeal of a cycle.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
Liliana
Puffer Fry
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Two GSP in an 80 gallon tank
Location (country): United States
Location: Colorado

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by Liliana »

bertie 83 wrote:Welcome, I see you have a 40g tall tank, that is certainly a good start. As they grow the footprint of a long tank will be much better for them. They will need 55g minimum for the pair but 75g is more suitable. As I said in your other thread being wild caught the bump could be almost anything I'm afraid. You need to keep a very close eye on your water it takes weeks to cycle a tank with fish, also mollies may not produce waste like puffers so you have upped the bio- load instantly. We use the fishless cycle here as it enables you to fully stock your tank from the time the cycle is complete, also we then don't have to put fish through the ordeal of a cycle.
Yes, they really enjoy their 40 gallon tank, but like you said when they grow bigger I'm going to have to purchase a larger tank. I fear that day haha as they can be quite expensive. But at least I know now how i should cycle it and such when I get a larger one.
Thanks for the welcome! :D
User avatar
*GSP*Fan*
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 434
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:27 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Solandri
Location (country): USA
Location: West Virginia

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by *GSP*Fan* »

Welcome! :D
User avatar
sgtmyers88
Moderator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA
Contact:

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by sgtmyers88 »

:D [welcome]
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
User avatar
Liliana
Puffer Fry
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Two GSP in an 80 gallon tank
Location (country): United States
Location: Colorado

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by Liliana »

Thank you for all of the welcomes. I appreciate it! :D
User avatar
eieio
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:34 am
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.
Location: Prescott, Arizona

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by eieio »

Liliana wrote:Yes, they really enjoy their 40 gallon tank, but like you said when they grow bigger I'm going to have to purchase a larger tank. I fear that day haha as they can be quite expensive. But at least I know now how i should cycle it and such when I get a larger one.
Thanks for the welcome! :D
welcome to The Puffer Forum :)
for a larger tank, keep an eye out for Petco's "dollar a gallon" sale, which they have periodically
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
User avatar
Liliana
Puffer Fry
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Two GSP in an 80 gallon tank
Location (country): United States
Location: Colorado

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by Liliana »

eieio wrote:welcome to The Puffer Forum :)
for a larger tank, keep an eye out for Petco's "dollar a gallon" sale, which they have periodically
I had no idea of this sale! Thanks for the tip :)
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by bertie 83 »

Also you will not need to mess around with a cycle when you do get a larger tank, you just put everything including filter media and substrate from the old tank into the new one.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
Liliana
Puffer Fry
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Two GSP in an 80 gallon tank
Location (country): United States
Location: Colorado

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by Liliana »

bertie 83 wrote:Also you will not need to mess around with a cycle when you do get a larger tank, you just put everything including filter media and substrate from the old tank into the new one.
Oh That's awesome! Cool, thank you very much :D
Post Reply