New to puffers but have fallen in love!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
User avatar
Daisy
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm
Location (country): United States

New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by Daisy »

Hi folks, I've been reading posts and this seems like a great forum. I don't have a puffer yet, but that will soon be remedied! I have been keeping fish tanks for years and currently have a freshwater planted and a marine reef tank. I have always wanted to try my hand at brackish, and I think I've fallen in love with puffers after seeing a tank full of them at the fish store in the last few weeks.

I first thought of a GSP but I have decided a figure 8 will probably be a better choice for me. I have 15 gal cycled tank (currently housing 3 guppies) that I'm thinking of putting my first puffer in. I've already got aragonite sand in the tank (we have extremely soft water so I wanted to buffer it for the guppies). The fish store has their F8's in fresh water so I'm thinking I'll start with FW and gradually increase the salinity. The guppies will be moved elsewhere so they aren't the puffer's first meal here!

Anyway, I wanted to say hi and I'm going to be doing a lot of reading up on puffers!
User avatar
I.Puff.Too
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:52 am
Gender: Male
Location (country): USA
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by I.Puff.Too »

Figure 8 puffers are low-end brackish fish, who do best with an SG of 1.003-1.006. The lower end of that range is when using aragonite sand, which you already use. If the tank is already cycled no point in dropping it back down to FW, just drip acclimate the fish, and he'll be fine.

Others will chime in with more info I'm sure. Good Luck!
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

I.Puff.Too wrote:Figure 8 puffers are low-end brackish fish, who do best with an SG of 1.003-1.006. The lower end of that range is when using aragonite sand, which you already use. If the tank is already cycled no point in dropping it back down to FW, just drip acclimate the fish, and he'll be fine.

Others will chime in with more info I'm sure. Good Luck!

I don't think her tank is brackish yet. I think she's just saying that she will keep it FW for adding the fish.

When you increase the salinity do it by no more than .02 per week. You may be able to get away going all the way up to .03 without shocking your system, but I think that'd depend on how long it's been properly cycled.

Welcome to the forum and the world of puffer keeping. They're like chips though, you can't have just one lol. They're truly addictive things. Congrats on researching before buying, too. It will really help you in the long run. =]
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by Pufftastic »

F8s are my very favorite puffers. Colorful, active, friendly, and just plain fun to keep. One would be very happy in your 15 gallon. Welcome to the world of puffers!
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
User avatar
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Posts: 2938
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm
Location (country): Canada

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by Flutter »

Welcome! F8's are my favourite puffer as well :)
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
User avatar
I.Puff.Too
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:52 am
Gender: Male
Location (country): USA
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by I.Puff.Too »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:
I.Puff.Too wrote:Figure 8 puffers are low-end brackish fish, who do best with an SG of 1.003-1.006. The lower end of that range is when using aragonite sand, which you already use. If the tank is already cycled no point in dropping it back down to FW, just drip acclimate the fish, and he'll be fine.

Others will chime in with more info I'm sure. Good Luck!

I don't think her tank is brackish yet. I think she's just saying that she will keep it FW for adding the fish.

When you increase the salinity do it by no more than .02 per week. You may be able to get away going all the way up to .03 without shocking your system, but I think that'd depend on how long it's been properly cycled.

Welcome to the forum and the world of puffer keeping. They're like chips though, you can't have just one lol. They're truly addictive things. Congrats on researching before buying, too. It will really help you in the long run. =]
Lol. At second glance, I misread it. Meh.
User avatar
sgtmyers88
Moderator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA
Contact:

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Welcome Aboard. Please read my signature below. lol
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
RTR
Mentor
Posts: 6155
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 4:39 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by RTR »

F-8s are my favorite puffer also. I think that is common to many of us.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
User avatar
Daisy
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm
Location (country): United States

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by Daisy »

Thanks for the warm welcome! :D

My 15 gallon is indeed still FW but has aragonite sand. I confirmed with my fish store that their F8's are currently in FW. I can't wait to add a puffer of my very own! I have no doubt they will be addictive since I already have "multiple tank syndrome". Maybe once I get my feet wet (ha ha) with puffers I can think about another, bigger full marine tank for a GSP......or some of those really cute tiny dwarf puffers.......

So my plan this week is to move the guppies out of the 15 gallon and get ready for "Puff".

Thanks again for saying hi and I can't wait to keeping reading up on puffers!
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by Master of Puffers »

F-8s were the starting point for me too. They have bags of personality for such smallish puffers.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
User avatar
Daisy
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm
Location (country): United States

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by Daisy »

Hi everyone! I haven't been back in a few weeks but I am getting close to getting my puffer! I had a change in plans about my 15 gallon since I got a stand that fits my 20H. So I have set that up with aragonite sand and it is hopefully done cycling (fingers crossed, going to check parameters tonight!). I have fake wood and real java fern and anubias for now....we'll see how they do down the road as the tank becomes brackish. I am concerned about the filter though. I have an AC 50 on the tank now and it's not exactly creating a lot of water flow. At least as far I as I can tell. I would really like a canister filter 'but it's not in the budget yet. I'm wondering if an AC70 would be better for the time being. I use one on my reef tank for mechanical and chemical filtration, but of course I have live rock and powerheads in there as well so that's probably different.

Does anyone have any advice on filter/water flow? I will be searching for some threads as well. I can't wait to have a puffer, but I want to make everything perfect first.

PS I am doing a fishless cycle, so nobody is in the tank yet!
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by Pufferpunk »

I was thinkng the AC 70 would be better. Heck, I have a 110 on my 20L, with a single Congo in there.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 904
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:10 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.
Location: S.W. OH

Re: New to puffers but have fallen in love!

Post by JRC3 »

Good job taking your time. And also going for the 20g high tank. If you already have the AC50 I don't see why that would not work as that would be a good 10x filter, though the AC70 would be better as PP said.

Good luck.
Last edited by JRC3 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
Post Reply