Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
Elle GSP
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Iya, Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Los Angeles, USA
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by Elle GSP »

Hey, I'm Elle. I am brand new to the site. This is how I accidentally fell in love with my green spotted puffer.

I got my green spotted puffer maybe 8 months ago. My baby was in the dentists office and saw the aquarium and said fish very clearly. We had to get a fish. I went to an aquarium shop, told them I knew nothing about fish, and that I had a tank that had been cycling for two weeks because that is what I read to do. He said, well, do you want a bunch of fish or just one. I told him I would like a bunch of guppies. But then I saw the baby gsp's and could not take my eyes off of them. I will never return to or recommend this shop to anyone because of what he did next. He told me that I could get a couple of puffers and add however many other semi aggressive fish as I wanted as long as I only added an inch of fish at a time. Wow. Now, knowing what I do, I cannot believe he told me that. Especially with the knowledge that I had a 10 GALLON TANK!!

Of course, I got the puffers home to a heated tank. I placed them in, and within two weeks, one killed the other. I am a vegan, animal activist and have love for every living thing. This killed me. I started to learn about puffers from this forum. Thank goodness you are here. I bought all of my test kits, proper salt for brackish water changed the gravel to crushed coral, varied his diet and now he is thriving and growing! This guy is a full time job! I also found an amazing aquarium store with two puffer owners working there who I have befriended. I also have a snail bowl so Iya (my gsp) may have snails without a trip to the store.

He is a healthy guy, who is currently living with some ghost shrimp for the first time... that's not going to last. I swear Iya is a psychopath.

Also, I live in Los Angeles with my husband, 17 month old Daughter, Iya and two Bettas Spike and Dish.

Thank you for existing.
User avatar
sgtmyers88
Moderator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA
Contact:

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Welcome to the forum! We would love to see pictures of your tank and GSP. :D
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
He'll be getting a much bigger tank soon, I hope?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Elle GSP
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Iya, Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Los Angeles, USA
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by Elle GSP »

I will be moving him to a bigger tank when he gets bigger. Currently my apartment does not allow anything over 10 gallons. I will note though, he is very happy and healthy in his current set up.
User avatar
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 904
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:10 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.
Location: S.W. OH

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by JRC3 »

How big is the little guy and how often and large are his water changes?
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
User avatar
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:58 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by G S P Freak »

I will be moving him to a bigger tank when he gets bigger. Currently my apartment does not allow anything over 10 gallons. I will note though, he is very happy and healthy in his current set up.
Honestly, the puffer won't get bigger if kept in too small of a tank. For fish to reach optimum health and size, they require adequate space, temperature, and plentiful food. If you cut any of these out, you are effectively stunting growth.
I understand you problem with tank limit for where you live, my dorm only allows me to have a 10 gallon too. I managed to get away with a 15, no one knows what tank size looks like anyways, and I had to give up my gsp for a f8, which is pretty happy in a smaller tank compared to GSPs. GSPs require 30g minimum, and get around 6".
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
Elle GSP
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Iya, Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Los Angeles, USA
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by Elle GSP »

Hey guys, so as I appreciate all of your advice, I am aware of all of this. I read a lot and I promise that my puffer will be spoiled. I am beginning to feel like I am doing things wrong though rather than feeling welcomed. I am among a lot of puffer owners that have many years of experience and seem to think that my set up is great for now.

A side note, before I had my daughter, I worked in marine biology. So aquatic research is kind of my thing.
Elle GSP
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:59 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Iya, Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): Los Angeles, USA
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by Elle GSP »

JRC3 wrote:How big is the little guy and how often and large are his water changes?
I'm sorry, but I am on schedule with all of his water changes. It appears that you are looking to criticize me. Also, he is an inch long. I will ask for advice when I need it. Thank you.
User avatar
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 904
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:10 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.
Location: S.W. OH

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by JRC3 »

Elle GSP wrote:
JRC3 wrote:How big is the little guy and how often and large are his water changes?
I'm sorry, but I am on schedule with all of his water changes. It appears that you are looking to criticize me. Also, he is an inch long. I will ask for advice when I need it. Thank you.
:shock:

If anything I was gonna back you if you were doing frequent and large enough water changes for keeping a GSP in a 10g. I'm floored by how quickly you took offense to my question. I'm biting my tongue pretty hard right now.

*edit for the typos*
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
User avatar
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 821
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by defool89 »

Hello
You have the right to bear Puffers.
User avatar
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:58 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by G S P Freak »

People here may come off as bold, but we all are here to help others learn and see to the welfare of the animals we also care for. As someone who seems to care so much for animals, you should understand where we are coming from. You took offense so quickly when we are just trying to help you do what's right for you and the animal. I know sometimes the truth sucks, I never wanted to give up my GSP, but I couldn't subject him to stunting and cramped quarters after I learned 10 gallons was too small.

You shouldn't take offense, you are welcome here, as are all who love fish/puffers and wish to learn more.
Last edited by G S P Freak on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
User avatar
sgtmyers88
Moderator
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA
Contact:

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by sgtmyers88 »

+1 Dont take peoples responses or inquisitions too personally as an attack. ;)
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by Pufferpunk »

A 1" GSP may be OK for about a year in there. Unfortunately, by the time you realize the tank's too small he may already be stunted & his life shortened. This forum is full of folks who's only concern is a puffer's welfare. Please don't take anything they say personally. Ask your puffer-keeping friends if they've kept their puffers into their upper teens. That is our goal here. :)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
bunny
Puffer Fry
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:27 pm
Location (country): China Guangdong Provice

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by bunny »

Hello ~ hope to see ur new tank soon ~~bigger better ~
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: Accidentally ended up with a puffer..and I love it!

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum. No one is trying to get at you, or attack you. We are a community of puffer lovers who like nothing more than to have new members who care for their fish. We do get straight to the point and sometimes it comes accross wrong, stick around you will get used to us lol. With good maintenance your juvi will be fine for now, do expect an upgrade at some point, but as you grow more attached to puffers you will see how you just wanna give them more and more lol
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Post Reply