Hello! I am the proud mommy of:
-South American cichlid tank
-"African" tank (African butterfly, Senegal bichir, leopard Ctenopoma)
-pea puffer tank (4 pea/dwarf puffers)
-Brackish tank (3 bumblebee gobies and a figure 8 puffer)
-2 fry nurseries (live bearer in one, African cichlid fry in the other)
-African Clawed Frog tank
-African Dwarf Frog tank
-7 Bettas (separate tanks of course)
-Pond with 4 giant comet goldfish
-Axolotl (aquatic salamander)
-2 ferrets (namaste and soots)
-hamster (diva)
-hedgehog (oodles)
- Reeve's turtle (Poseidon)
-standard poodle will be joining us soon!
I have joined to get insight into the wonderful world of puffers, and to see what I can do to improve the lives of my puffs, and get some advice!
I would love to know your opinions on this: I have a 60 gallon tank I would like to make a puffer tank. I don't want to do full marine, but would love to do mixed freshwater or brackish puffs. So any stocking suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Hello fellow finned-lover friends!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
-
Horsegirlmaddy
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:22 pm
- Location (country): Canada
Hello fellow finned-lover friends!
Last edited by Horsegirlmaddy on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- defool89
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 821
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
- Location (country): United states, Garland Texas
Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!
O wow quite a zoo you got... welcome. Puffers are mostly lonely critters and rarely do good in community tanks or like species tanks. I know the dwars do good and figure 8s as well in a large enough tank. You can probably fit a group of dwarfs in that tank or 2-3 f8s or maybe 2 gsps..a senior member will correct me if I'm wrong
You have the right to bear Puffers.
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!
Hi and welcome to the forum, puffers don't normally mix nicely. You could possibly fit 2 gsp in there but a little larger would be preferable.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!
Eventually, you will want to go marine with GSPs, otherwise your 50% weekly WC will get quite $$$. On my 55g, that was 10 cups of $alt/week. You have time to learn though. This is how I got into SW!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
-
Horsegirlmaddy
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:22 pm
- Location (country): Canada
Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!
Wouldn't marine water changes be even more expensive? Would it not still be a 50% water change, but with more salt? Please explain!
-
Master of Puffers
- Green Spotted Puffer
- Posts: 358
- Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:12 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: target puffer
fahaka
6 dwarf puffers - Location (country): La Belle Province
Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!
Bonjour et beinvenue
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hello fellow finned-lover friends!
In a properly set up marine tanks 30% monthly WC is all you should need.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"