Hi guy's, I have a 28g tank which is home to tetras & oto's at the min but once I rehome the tetras i'm planning on having puffer(s) for this tank. If I go for FW puffers I was thinking of the DP but not sure how many I could keep in this tank or if there is another type that would be happy in the tank. The next option is to go for a BW set up & get a GSP (if the tank is big enough) or the F8. If I went for the F8 could I keep more than 1 of them ?
At the min the tank is filtered with a Fluval 206 filter which i've increased the amount of bio media & it is coping with the high stocking levels the tank has no problem would this be enough to handle the mess puffer make ?
Lastly as I live very close to the sea could I use sea water & mix it with FW to make up BW I would need ? the reason i'm asking the price of the marine salt around be is rather high.
Sorry for all the queastions
Stocking options & other queastions
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Stocking options & other queastions
Dps are an option, they do best with 5g each. One of the red eye species are another f/w choice. The gsp is out as you just don't quite have enough room. You would likely be ok with 2 f8s. I would not use sea water as you risk adding all sorts of crud and germs to your tank. The fluval runs at about 120gph? This should be ok as far as flow goes.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
- puffykid
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 537
- Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 3:16 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Madison, WI
Re: Stocking options & other queastions
+1 to Bertie about the gsp. I'd only keep 1 f8 if you were to keep one in there, you can throw in a few bumble bee gobies though (1-2)
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
-
Sweety
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:07 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Northumberland. UK
- Location: Northumberland. UK
- Contact:
Re: Stocking options & other queastions
Thanks for your help guy's
Just had a look about the GSP on here & i'm 15 litres short but I do have an old damaged 4ft tank striped in the garden so after cutting off the damaged end of the base glass (bad chip) it might be upto the job. If not think it'll be either 4-5 DP's or 2 F8 hmm better see what my wife fancies now
-
RTR
- Mentor
- Posts: 6155
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 4:39 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): East Coast, USA
Re: Stocking options & other queastions
I doubt the safe future of 2 F-8s in that small a tank. I have not had good long-term results with two without a much roomier tank. I agree w/PP's comments. Success w/two juveniles does not predict success with two adults. These are very active fish and need space and swimming room.
FWIW
FWIW
Where's the fish? - Neptune
-
Sweety
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:07 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Northumberland. UK
- Location: Northumberland. UK
- Contact:
Re: Stocking options & other queastions
Thanks again
After a chat with my wife it looks as if we are going for DP's in our main tank but I think once my fighter's day comes i'll be moving my cherry shrimp into his tank & get a F8 for the 20G the shrimp are in now. Just got to find somewhere that sells the DP's or see if my mate can get me some from the wholesalers