Newbie
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Newbie
Hi, Chris here from England, should of joined up ages ago! Been keeping tropical fish for 10years now and had a few puffers along the way! Def my favourite fish!! Nice to meet you all and I'll defiantly be asking questions in the near future!! Regards chris
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Newbie
Welcome to the forum, where ya from?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Re: Newbie
Hi, I'm from sunny suffolk!! Ipswich.bertie 83 wrote:Welcome to the forum, where ya from?
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Newbie
Ah. Over 100 miles away, what are the Lfs like in your neck of the woods?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Re: Newbie
not to bad mate, probably got 6 or 7 with in a 15 mile radius from me, the best by far being swallow aquatics in colchester. took a ride there today, there marine section is crazy!! the staff are pretty clued up apart from one or two! nice selection of puffers, the normal mbu's , green spotted, amazon, f8's and humpback, had another one which im now looking for info on now as ive never seen one before!!
was a FUGU puffer?? never seen one before
was a FUGU puffer?? never seen one before
Last edited by Chris2007 on Sat May 19, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Newbie
Which one is that? This is the best resource for puffer info, it will always be honest and to the point.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Re: Newbie
agreed, its a brill site! love looking through all the info! my little boy has 2 f8's which were now in the process of slowly turning brackish! i had a mbu about 10 years ago, i wish all this info was avaliable back then!! i lost him in the end which i was gutted about!!
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Newbie
Fugu are very misunderstood, even with the years of experience I have I would not attempt it. We have a member who is successfully keeping one, many others failed. Mbus are incredible but also misunderstood, I don't think they should be in the trade as few people have tanks large enough to house these beasts
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Re: Newbie
bertie 83 wrote:Fugu are very misunderstood, even with the years of experience I have I would not attempt it. We have a member who is successfully keeping one, many others failed. Mbus are incredible but also misunderstood, I don't think they should be in the trade as few people have tanks large enough to house these beasts
just been reading up on it now and by the looks of things it wont be lasting long at the shop, it was in full freshwater setup, it was about 5-6 inches long.
also agree on the mbu, gets far to big
- Christie_ZXR
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 154
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:32 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Takifugu Ocellatus - "Mushroom"
Figure 8 Puffer - "Aleister" - Location (country): London, England
- Location: West London
Re: Newbie
Hello! Meet Mushroom

Fugu are awesome! Complicated, but awesome...lol
I do reckon us on this side of the pond with our crappy weather have a sort of better chance than that lot over there with all their sunshine and stuff.
I'm basing that solely on it being a bit easier to keep the temps down, but it's just my little theory. To be honest, not that I'd swap Mushroom for the world, but Fig 8s are sooo much easier!
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)

Fugu are awesome! Complicated, but awesome...lol
I do reckon us on this side of the pond with our crappy weather have a sort of better chance than that lot over there with all their sunshine and stuff.
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)

Re: Newbie
what a cutie!!! lol,
yes my son has f8's. im holding out for something alittle more interesting!! i loved the little fugu i saw today, but not ever seeing one before didnt know nothing about there requirements! whats your secret??
yes my son has f8's. im holding out for something alittle more interesting!! i loved the little fugu i saw today, but not ever seeing one before didnt know nothing about there requirements! whats your secret??
- FADE2BLACK_1973
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1185
- Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:09 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)
Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish - Location (country): United States of America
- Location: Kentucky
Re: Newbie
Hey Chris, welcome to the group 
Chris,
He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
- Christie_ZXR
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 154
- Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:32 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Takifugu Ocellatus - "Mushroom"
Figure 8 Puffer - "Aleister" - Location (country): London, England
- Location: West London
Re: Newbie
I reckon my secret's mostly luck I'm afraid! Mushroom was pretty healthy when I got him.
Have a nosey here for the way I'm keeping him: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28434&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
If you're thinking of getting one, do TONS of research first! There's not much out there on fugu like Mushroom, but I'm happy to send you some of the stuff I've found so you can have a read
I'd pester one of the others for that fab article by the person who owned Sushi the fugu too! I've had a look for it but couldn't find it. (hint hint guys..! Ty
)
In my opinion, horrid though it sounds, it's people like us having a go at keeping these fish and sadly making mistakes along the way that should hopefully lead to someone somewhere working out the best way to keep them alive and healthy in captivity.
Can't stress enough how complicated they are though! You've got to be so careful what you feed them, where their tank is, what salinity you put them in, how you change the salinity etc. Vitamin supplements are a must IMO too. No one really knows how to look after them properly, so I could be just lucky, or I could be on the way to stumbling onto something useful.
Don't want to put you off having a go at looking after one, just want you to be aware what you're letting yourself in for if you do decide to get one!
Have a nosey here for the way I'm keeping him: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28434&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
If you're thinking of getting one, do TONS of research first! There's not much out there on fugu like Mushroom, but I'm happy to send you some of the stuff I've found so you can have a read
In my opinion, horrid though it sounds, it's people like us having a go at keeping these fish and sadly making mistakes along the way that should hopefully lead to someone somewhere working out the best way to keep them alive and healthy in captivity.
Can't stress enough how complicated they are though! You've got to be so careful what you feed them, where their tank is, what salinity you put them in, how you change the salinity etc. Vitamin supplements are a must IMO too. No one really knows how to look after them properly, so I could be just lucky, or I could be on the way to stumbling onto something useful.
Don't want to put you off having a go at looking after one, just want you to be aware what you're letting yourself in for if you do decide to get one!

Re: Newbie
Thanks interesting read!!