New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
User avatar
Janzie
Puffer Fry
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 am
My Puffers: 1 porcupine puffa
Location (country): Stockton-on-tees united kingdom

New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Janzie »

Hi all hope to learn a lot
My wife wants a puffa fish for her birthday instead of shoes and handbags :)
So i guess must be serious
Just got 130ltr tank a week ago
The puffa is a yellow porcupine it is about an inch
The shop gave me salt ro water and an adative to start the cycle
Got 14kgs living rock and has a crashed sunk helicopter as they said it he needs places to explore and hide
I get the filter system tomorrow as it has just a fluvalfilter in at the moment just to keep the water moving
The filter system is a marisys 240 sump system
I will post pic when I work out how to do that
So any advise would be good as I get him in a week or so when they say my water is right
They said to put filter system on but not the protein skimmer on till we put the puffer in
So any advise much appreciated thanks
And as a bit of advise to people in same boat if your other half says I will have a puffa instead of shoes and handbags say NO you can have shoes and handbags wow money this gets out of hand to do it right we are upto £400+ and still not got a puffa yet :) but we are really looking forward to it
I love seeing my wife sitting in the shop talking to the little puffa with her puppy dog eyes how could you say no and she is 40+
User avatar
J-P
Former Staff Member
Posts: 5626
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
Gender: Male
Location (country): Japan
Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by J-P »

Welcome to the forum!!

For a porky you'r kind of missing a zero for the tank volume. Could be talk you into a Green Spotted?
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
User avatar
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1081
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:33 pm
Location (country): uk
Location: London

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Arny »

For a porcy you need a minimum tank size of 120 us gallons. A tank this size measures 4ftx2ftx2ft. Your little 1 inch porcy will grow to 19inches.

Here's some info
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28836
User avatar
Janzie
Puffer Fry
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 am
My Puffers: 1 porcupine puffa
Location (country): Stockton-on-tees united kingdom

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Janzie »

Yes tank is 30gal tank to start with but we have an empty tank 6x2x2 but going to cost a lot to set so just doing a bit to that as we go then in 6 months should be ok just he will look lost in there to start tank I am putting him in is 2.5x1x1
Will this be ok for six months
User avatar
Janzie
Puffer Fry
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 am
My Puffers: 1 porcupine puffa
Location (country): Stockton-on-tees united kingdom

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Janzie »

Hi how do I put a picture up thanks :D
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Janzie wrote:Hi how do I put a picture up thanks :D
Upload a photo on somewhere like photobucket and then copy the IMG or HTML and post it into here.

Try to take less than 6 months to set up your larger aquarium because a porcupine puffer in a 30 gallon is likely to poison themselves to death. Are you sure you wouldn't prefer a different species such as a green spotted puffer, since they can be in full marine as well? Or maybe one of the tobys?
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
User avatar
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 672
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:57 am
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by scpion »

For the pics, U can upload the attachment when posting. There's this option.. just need to resize it properly. so it can be seen in the post straight away rather than jumping to another site. Unless I am missing something here?..
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

scpion wrote:For the pics, U can upload the attachment when posting. There's this option.. just need to resize it properly. so it can be seen in the post straight away rather than jumping to another site. Unless I am missing something here?..
That works too. The reason for photobucket is the resizing thing. You can post a photobucket picture so it shows up on the forum, but you can also insert so long as it's the right size.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
User avatar
Janzie
Puffer Fry
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 am
My Puffers: 1 porcupine puffa
Location (country): Stockton-on-tees united kingdom

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Janzie »

This is the setup so far the shop we are getting the puffer from said this set up will do for upto a year as long as we have good protein skimmer and sump filtration and lots of live rock
So is this wrong info as new tank I have been told the live rock will cost me about £700+ as it is 550ltr I think 145 gallon
358931119.974792.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Janzie
Puffer Fry
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 am
My Puffers: 1 porcupine puffa
Location (country): Stockton-on-tees united kingdom

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Janzie »

Doh! Well you will have to be sideways to see this :)
Need more info
So you are saying I should get a 4 foot tank before I build the big tank and put all this in the 4 foot tank then when we do the bigger tank can I just move the rest of this live rock into the bigger tank
:) I think we're going to need a bigger house
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Janzie wrote:This is the setup so far the shop we are getting the puffer from said this set up will do for upto a year as long as we have good protein skimmer and sump filtration and lots of live rock
So is this wrong info as new tank I have been told the live rock will cost me about £700+ as it is 550ltr I think 145 gallon
358931119.974792.jpg
LFS tell you crap advice that sounds good because they want you to buy from them.

You do NOT need to spend that much on liverock. There are plenty of ways to get liverock at a cheaper price. You can do DIY rock, or order dry rock and seed it with your current live rock.

You can order dry rock from here: http://www.marcorocks.com/ (actually not sure if they ship out of the US, but I would think they do.)

Or you can join a local reef club and ask around for a bargain price.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Janzie wrote:Doh! Well you will have to be sideways to see this :)
Need more info
So you are saying I should get a 4 foot tank before I build the big tank and put all this in the 4 foot tank then when we do the bigger tank can I just move the rest of this live rock into the bigger tank
:) I think we're going to need a bigger house
Porcupine puffers definitely require lots of space.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
User avatar
Janzie
Puffer Fry
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 am
My Puffers: 1 porcupine puffa
Location (country): Stockton-on-tees united kingdom

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Janzie »

So I should have come to this site first :lol:
This is a pic I took of him they said it will grow to about 9inch this is wrong then
Also then is this a porcupine puffa
I will get a better picture when back in the shop as he would not stop moving he was a fast little thing
358932639.010430.jpg
358932683.718779.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

They can grow to be 19 inches. They need 120 gallons, minimum, and they are not reef safe.

Is there anything else the LFS told you that we need to clear up?
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
User avatar
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 672
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:57 am
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Re: New to forum And setting up ready for puffa

Post by scpion »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:
scpion wrote:For the pics, U can upload the attachment when posting. There's this option.. just need to resize it properly. so it can be seen in the post straight away rather than jumping to another site. Unless I am missing something here?..
That works too. The reason for photobucket is the resizing thing. You can post a photobucket picture so it shows up on the forum, but you can also insert so long as it's the right size.
I see.. Its really quite simple.. Open the picture in pc and most likely it will open in the picture manager, if U are on windows. Just choose the option to resize it for webpage. Its just so simple. :)
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
Post Reply