Hello, Puffer People!

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
User avatar
LooksLater
Dwarf Puffer
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:50 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Suki: Fahaka Puffer
Squee and Bella: Dwarf Puffers
Also:
30g Tanganyikan community tank
10g RCS/planted/community tank
2.5g snail/endler breeding tank
2g Sulawesi invert tank
Location (country): Spring, TX- USA
Location: Spring, TX

Hello, Puffer People!

Post by LooksLater »

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Sasha. I'm new to the forum but honestly I've been lurking/gathering info here for awhile, it's such a great resource!

I have a Fahaka Puffer, Suki...finally got her a little over a week ago, after months of research and preparing. She's about 6-7'', and currently settling in nicely to her (fully cycled) 45g "wide" tank (it's one of Odyssea's old B-series bowfronts, if that means anything to anyone? Hahah. It's about 29'' x 16'' x 18''tall). I absolutely plan on moving her to a 120g+ as soon as I can get one. I'm watching my parameters and so far doing 35% WC twice a week. I don't know if that's paranoid or just good mommy instinct, but I want her to have a nice clean tank until I can move her up! I am very in love with this puffer, it's kind of ridiculous...but I wouldn't have it any other way.
Image

I also ended up with a Dwarf Puffer a couple of days ago, Squishy. He came along with a nicely planted, established Fluval Ebi tank that I was buying from a fellow Houston Fishboxer, and I just couldn't say no. Now my heart's getting slayed all over again. I'm thinking of getting him a female or two after I do some more research so I can be sure of "his" sex, and if the size requirement is right. He's settling in quite nicely, very curious and hungry (and cute!) little fella.
2/20 Update: Looks like "He" is a "she"...and has been re-named Squee. :)
Image

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and I'm very glad to be here. I am new to puffers but I am dedicated to making their homes good ones...I'm glad to have a place like this to come and learn...so, nice to meet you all and I'll see you around the forum!
Last edited by LooksLater on Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Without tact you can learn nothing."
Benjamin Disraeli
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, nice waistline on that, GF!

With those quarters, I'd be doing 50% 2x/week or 75% weekly WC.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
LooksLater
Dwarf Puffer
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:50 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Suki: Fahaka Puffer
Squee and Bella: Dwarf Puffers
Also:
30g Tanganyikan community tank
10g RCS/planted/community tank
2.5g snail/endler breeding tank
2g Sulawesi invert tank
Location (country): Spring, TX- USA
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Post by LooksLater »

Lol, she sure isn't starving...! Though I have to say, she is pickier than I thought she'd be.

Thanks, I will beef up the WC to more, I saw that coming... like I say, it's been a week or so and I'm watching my numbers...I also scoop after her like a dog in the park, it's pretty comical how paranoid I am about the water... :)
"Without tact you can learn nothing."
Benjamin Disraeli
User avatar
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:52 am
My Puffers: Arrowhead / Suvattii
Location (country): UK

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Post by suvattii2012 »

Welcome, lovly fish you have there.
Arrowhead
User avatar
LooksLater
Dwarf Puffer
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:50 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Suki: Fahaka Puffer
Squee and Bella: Dwarf Puffers
Also:
30g Tanganyikan community tank
10g RCS/planted/community tank
2.5g snail/endler breeding tank
2g Sulawesi invert tank
Location (country): Spring, TX- USA
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Post by LooksLater »

Thank you!
"Without tact you can learn nothing."
Benjamin Disraeli
User avatar
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA
Location: Royal Palm Beach , Florida_ USA

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Cool Puffies!
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
User avatar
LooksLater
Dwarf Puffer
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:50 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Suki: Fahaka Puffer
Squee and Bella: Dwarf Puffers
Also:
30g Tanganyikan community tank
10g RCS/planted/community tank
2.5g snail/endler breeding tank
2g Sulawesi invert tank
Location (country): Spring, TX- USA
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Post by LooksLater »

Thanks, I appreciate it!
"Without tact you can learn nothing."
Benjamin Disraeli
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Post by bertie 83 »

I agree you should increase waterchange volume. Aim for an upgrade ASAP . Welcome to the forum
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
LooksLater
Dwarf Puffer
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:50 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Suki: Fahaka Puffer
Squee and Bella: Dwarf Puffers
Also:
30g Tanganyikan community tank
10g RCS/planted/community tank
2.5g snail/endler breeding tank
2g Sulawesi invert tank
Location (country): Spring, TX- USA
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Post by LooksLater »

bertie 83 wrote:I agree you should increase waterchange volume. Aim for an upgrade ASAP . Welcome to the forum
I will, on both counts. I wouldn't have started with a 45g, except that I had been planning on getting a 2'' Fahaka from a friend, then that fell through...I saw these up at the LFS, and couldn't help but take her home. I figured, inherently it was better than the 10g long they were keeping her in-with a tankmate-for the last 2 months...and I can come up with a bigger tank faster than some who might impulse buy her. The gal at the LFS actually asked me if I wanted to get 2 and breed them! Hahah. I saw it as a rescue.
And thanks for the welcome.
"Without tact you can learn nothing."
Benjamin Disraeli
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1116
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: none currently :(
Location (country): USA
Location: Philadelphia Area

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Post by jus85411 »

welcome! nice looking dwarf fatty! all good recommendations from all above, and you knew yourself you needed a 120 before it was mentioned, happy your doing your research!
User avatar
LooksLater
Dwarf Puffer
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:50 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Suki: Fahaka Puffer
Squee and Bella: Dwarf Puffers
Also:
30g Tanganyikan community tank
10g RCS/planted/community tank
2.5g snail/endler breeding tank
2g Sulawesi invert tank
Location (country): Spring, TX- USA
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Hello, Puffer People!

Post by LooksLater »

jus85411 wrote:welcome! nice looking dwarf fatty! all good recommendations from all above, and you knew yourself you needed a 120 before it was mentioned, happy your doing your research!
Thanks! And of course...these aren't fish to take lightly. I know I have a lot to learn yet, but I am always hungry for more info. That's why forums like these are THE BEST!
"Without tact you can learn nothing."
Benjamin Disraeli
Post Reply