Are all PetCos bad?

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
User avatar
Reaperpilot2014
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers!
Location (country): USA
Location: Utah

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Reaperpilot2014 »

goldielocke76 wrote:
sevenyearnight wrote:Sweet! Post pics!

I have to figure out how =( all mine are too big. And he's got ich = / not too bad, thank goodness I caught it before it was all over, but there is a bit of bi furan in his tank that is making it yellow = / been doing 50% water changes for the last 5 days. Hopefully it won't be too much longer and then he will be better, and I will get a bigger tank! =D
I'm on Ambien right now, and that whole thing blew right over me.

9-07 edit: Makes sense now. I shouldn't be on the puffer forum after taking my meds lol.
Last edited by Reaperpilot2014 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...

Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
User avatar
ILoveLola
Figure 8 Puffer
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:33 pm
Gender: Female
Location (country): Virginia, USA
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by ILoveLola »

Its really hit or miss, from what I've found. Mostly miss, but sometimes you get lucky. The local petco I lived near in Maryland was just absolutely atrocious, there were always dead fish, obviously sick, it was just awful. I go to a Petsmart here in Florida thats pretty decent though. Ive only gotten snails and ghost shrimp from them recently, but they're always clean, and there's a girl there who is very knowledgable about fish care :) You just have to get lucky.
The only LFS I've found around me is a really small marine/reef store. It's pretty cool, but doesnt help me much..
xrayjeeper83 wrote:petco/petsmart around here suck but petsupermarket is usually pretty good and the guys that work there have been there forever and know there surlaW.
^
I actually got Lola from the petsupermarket in San Jose! Worth the drive.
Image
User avatar
Reaperpilot2014
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers!
Location (country): USA
Location: Utah

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Reaperpilot2014 »

Petco here tells me to grab feeder snails myself. I ask for a net, but they generally just want me to reach in and grab the boogers.
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...

Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
User avatar
DrKennethNoisewater
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:55 pm
My Puffers: Puffers:
2xGSP
Non Puffers:
3xPictus Catfish
1xBlack Ghost Knife
1xGolden Dojo Loach
1xHighfin Pleco
1xBoesemani Rainbow
4xHarlequin Rasboras
Location (country): under a bridge ontario, canada

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by DrKennethNoisewater »

best of luck to your small puffer! i gave my dwarfs to a friend who seen them and wanted them terribly, and i wanted bigger ones anyway. they look terrible since i did, even though i gave him really good info on keeping them, and referred him here... but ill be there next weekend to straighten things out :) they are a great fish!
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm on Ambien right now, and that whole thing blew right over me.
Just took my Lunesta. I'll be typing funny soon... :notimpressed:
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 4167
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA
Location: Orange Park, FL

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

Ilovelola I got the the petsupermarket on Blanding in OP, the guys are top notch and know there stuff
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
User avatar
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
Location (country): California, USA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by goldielocke76 »

Pufferpunk wrote:Ummm... Furan is an antibiotic.

PP, it is this that I am giving: http://uskoi.com/bifuran+.htm

I was told by the LFS that it would work = / maybe I am just wishing him well, but he went from 8 spots of ich (lol yeah, I counted...I was really worried = / ) to 4 spots. Not sure if it's the BiFuran working, the 50% WCs or a combination of both. I just know that finally, PZ is starting to recognize me and he flits like a little bumblebee every time I pass his tank. Only had him since the 2nd and already I'm crazy about him ^.^
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
User avatar
Dadof4
Tech Team
Posts: 2862
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:50 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States
Location: North Wisconsin

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Dadof4 »

Yeah...about that spot reduction....more than likely coincidental. Furan and Bifuran have minimal effects on external protozoa, it works on external infections though. Even though Ich is a protozoan infection it is hard shelled and has very little to no uptake of antibiotics.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
RTR
Mentor
Posts: 6155
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 4:39 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by RTR »

First off, from any store or merchant, whether local or on-line: Do not expect any salesperson to tell you the truth. Their job is to make sales, not to educate the public, that wastes their time and costs the owner money. If you do not know what you want or need, research it for yourself and decide for yourself. For equipment in living areas, it must be absolutely silent; in the tank room some noise is allowed. I buy for value in life cycle costs - purchase price plus operating costs and all replacement parts or media, etc. for a 10 to 20 year period. The initial purchase price is just one factor in that decision. It may or may not be over 10-plus years relatively trivial compared to operating costs. And I will definitely pay more fro both silent operation and for higher efficiency. The first of those is for my own peace of mind, the second in for economy. Good canisters are highly efficient; excellent canisters are dead silent. I have not used any HOB filter in the last 40 years because I cannot put up with the noise. Efficiency also impacts the operating costs - if a filter has to pass the same volume of water through itself multiple times for good clearance, that costs money in power use as well.

One size definitely does not fit all. My values are strongly tied to efficiency and silent operation and low upkeep. I will invest more effort up-front to plan and set a system which will operate well for a given time period for the least money and do so as quietly as possible. That does require me or anyone to consider total life cycle costs of a set-up. I certainly do not expect any LFS or chain employee or owner/manager to even know what that means, much less understand it or be able to discuss it.
Last edited by RTR on Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
User avatar
Reaperpilot2014
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers!
Location (country): USA
Location: Utah

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Reaperpilot2014 »

Very well said RTR! An excellent and informational post!
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...

Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
User avatar
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
Location (country): California, USA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by goldielocke76 »

Dadof4 wrote:Yeah...about that spot reduction....more than likely coincidental. Furan and Bifuran have minimal effects on external protozoa, it works on external infections though. Even though Ich is a protozoan infection it is hard shelled and has very little to no uptake of antibiotics.

Bummer =( anyone have a product that they recommend for ich? Going out in a bit, I can pick up something so I can get this guy better. =)
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
User avatar
Reaperpilot2014
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers!
Location (country): USA
Location: Utah

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Reaperpilot2014 »

Salinity and heat. I also like ich attack and haven't had any problems with it affecting my fish, inverts, or plants, no matter how high the dose.
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...

Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
User avatar
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Posts: 1894
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:41 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA
Location: South Carolina

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by sevenyearnight »

Reaperpilot2014 wrote:Salinity and heat. I also like ich attack and haven't had any problems with it affecting my fish, inverts, or plants, no matter how high the dose.
Make sure you specify herbal ich attack, because they have a blue chemical version that is their regular ich attack.
Image
User avatar
Reaperpilot2014
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers!
Location (country): USA
Location: Utah

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Reaperpilot2014 »

Good catch. I didn't know that they had the same name. I thought Kordon's only other ich treatment was Rid Ich and Rid Ich+. Those have some nasty chemicals.
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...

Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
User avatar
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Posts: 1894
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:41 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA
Location: South Carolina

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by sevenyearnight »

Well, I just looked again, and either I have a skewed memory, or they only have herbal ich attack now.
:/
Sorry, I thought they had 2 products with the same name, except one had herbal.
Image
Post Reply