Are all PetCos bad?

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
User avatar
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:54 pm
My Puffers: Albie (F8) soon to be rehomed
Milo and Millie (DPs)
Location (country): United States of America
Location: Ohio

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Salmon »

Probably because puffers are very needy and either A, they can't keep them alive long enough to sell, or B they don't want the beggining aquarist to think that they can handle something that is semi difficult to keep.
Those who say money can't buy happiness don't know where to find puffers.
Srkoe
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:46 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka "Ares"
2 GSP "Wally"&"Marty"
6 Dwarfs "the peas"
2 Figure 8 "Fugu"&"Gizzard"
1 Honeycomb Toby "Ashera"
2 Congo "P-Nut"&"Bevo"
1 mystery puffer (turgidus?)"Manson"
Location (country): United States

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Srkoe »

My local Petco carries dogface puffers all the time. They also carry Longhorn Cowfish and lionfish.
Srkoe
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:46 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka "Ares"
2 GSP "Wally"&"Marty"
6 Dwarfs "the peas"
2 Figure 8 "Fugu"&"Gizzard"
1 Honeycomb Toby "Ashera"
2 Congo "P-Nut"&"Bevo"
1 mystery puffer (turgidus?)"Manson"
Location (country): United States

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Srkoe »

Also, they are doing their $1/gallon sale right now!!!
RTR
Mentor
Posts: 6155
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 4:39 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by RTR »

Chain stores in general are poor to awful. it is strictly a lowest common denominator thing. The chains understand marketing and sales, not biology. There will always be some exceptions, highly dependent on the local managers and the folks that they hire and can keep.

Local non-chain fish and pet stores vary almost as much, many are also awful. But if the LFS owner is good, they can go on being good for decades.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
User avatar
chiang01
Puffer Fry
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:08 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: zero
Location (country): US
Location: St Louis, MO

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by chiang01 »

Please try to patronize your LFS for everything even if their prices might be a higher than the chains. In the past year, at least three have closed in the St Louis area, stores which have had long traditions in the area. I was guilty of buying supplies at Petsmart and fish at LFS until my two favorites closed recently. Now I will drive 20 miles out of my way to try to support my LFS....
RTR
Mentor
Posts: 6155
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 4:39 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by RTR »

Huge +1 to chiang01's comments.

I have been shopping at my LFS for decades. They are the last LFS left in the area, and I am spoiled - they carry all the equipment lines I use and a fantastic selection of spare parts for those lines. They special order fish and inverts for me routinely. If they go away, I am not sure that i would be able to continue in the hobby outside of the few fish I breed, and those I would never sell to the chains, so i would likely just go back to few large tanks and singleton specimens in them or self-perpetuating schools of fish. I have more than enough equipment on hand to last out my lifetime, and with colonies of a few live foods for supplements could do without fresh challenges.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
User avatar
Reaperpilot2014
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers!
Location (country): USA
Location: Utah

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Reaperpilot2014 »

While I do admit to occasionally buying pet supplies from Petsmart and Petco, their care of animals/fish has in my experience been terrible. We have a LFS here called Jay's Jungle, and while the owner/manager's social skills are nonexistent, he takes good care of all his animals, especially the fish. He makes sure anybody who purchases fish knows how to properly cycle a tank! LFS all the way!
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...

Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
User avatar
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
Location (country): California, USA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by goldielocke76 »

I agree, support LFS, but not whole heartedly.

It really pisses me off when I go to buy from them, and they tell me what I have is "not good enough" for my soon to be puff. Now I know that a fluval or eheim pump is always (well, more than likely) going to be the better option, but I have an Aquaclear 70 on my 20 gallon and it's working perfectly while doing a fishless cycle. I guess it just irritates me when I have one person in there (usually a more veteran fish keeper) telling me I am doing ok, but all the younger ones are telling me that I am not being a conscientious fish owner. I think I am doing ok....joining my first forum ever-- to learn about the fish I am going to be keeping, asking the older emps lots of questions down there, and being told that they have never met someone who understood about the bene bacteria (thanks TPF)...just feels like a slap in the face. Feel like all I get is "you have to spend $400 on just a pump to show that you care." :ripped:

Sorry-- my little rant session. I love my LFS....most of the people know what they are doing. But sometimes I feel like I come out of there with piss poor information. I would be a poor puffer keeper indeed if I had not found all you wonderful people to talk to and ask questions.
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
User avatar
Reaperpilot2014
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 638
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers!
Location (country): USA
Location: Utah

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Reaperpilot2014 »

Lol, I use the aquatop pumps from ebay. They do the same thing for a lot less money. Obviously reliability may come into play, but I haven't had a problem yet.
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...

Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
User avatar
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Posts: 2938
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm
Location (country): Canada

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Flutter »

The LFSs around here are pretty bad in general. Their prices are much higher than a chain (sometimes double) and the fish are in poorer health. I can't forsee us getting new fish for a long time (fingers crossed) and if we do they'll be from a LFS due to species selection... Thankfully, one employee at a LFS is trying to keep better care of the puffers.

For items there is a somewhat local small business that we support for most things. The people there are great as are their prices.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
User avatar
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Posts: 1894
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:41 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA
Location: South Carolina

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by sevenyearnight »

I also don't like pretentious LFS workers Goldielocke, especially since the most arrogant ones seem to know the least!
Image
User avatar
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
Location (country): California, USA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by goldielocke76 »

sevenyearnight wrote:I also don't like pretentious LFS workers Goldielocke, especially since the most arrogant ones seem to know the least!

+1 ....damn, where is the "really like" button when you need it. That's EXACTLY how they act when I go in there. The two that I like talking to the best are the only two female employees in there, and they have been keeping fish for years! The rest are younger guys, and some of them know their stuff, and are nice about it, but the others...../facepalm. He told me that feeding my puff bloodworms was a good diet for them.

Also, I bought a dwarf puffer instead of a betta for my little 5 gallon. Boyfriend thinks our little "PZ the peewee" is awesome and told me that I should get a 10 gallon for him...yay! What a great excuse to do a minor upgrade LOL
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
User avatar
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Posts: 1894
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:41 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA
Location: South Carolina

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by sevenyearnight »

Sweet! Post pics!
Image
User avatar
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
Location (country): California, USA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by goldielocke76 »

sevenyearnight wrote:Sweet! Post pics!

I have to figure out how =( all mine are too big. And he's got ich = / not too bad, thank goodness I caught it before it was all over, but there is a bit of bi furan in his tank that is making it yellow = / been doing 50% water changes for the last 5 days. Hopefully it won't be too much longer and then he will be better, and I will get a bigger tank! =D
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Ummm... Furan is an antibiotic.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Post Reply