Are all PetCos bad?

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
User avatar
xvCODY
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Smudge - 1.5 inch GSP
Location (country): United States
Location: Kentucky

Are all PetCos bad?

Post by xvCODY »

I went to my local PetCo today for some pest snails. While i waited to be helped (There was someone ahead of me getting help with the fish) i saw 3, 3.5ish inch blue gouramis, completely white eyes and riddled with ich getting attacked by other dwarf gouramis. These fish werent in the "under observation" tanks.. They were straight up for sell. Once i finally got help the guy told me he would advise me to wait for pests until saturday because he has a snail problem and he just loaded all his tanks with "snail killer".. wtf could he be putting in tanks to kill his snails that wouldnt harm his fish? Good thing there's another LFS 2 minutes down the road that also gives me all the snails i want plus a great deal on ghost shrimp.
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by bertie 83 »

I would not buy from such a shop or even accept freebies
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
xvCODY
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Smudge - 1.5 inch GSP
Location (country): United States
Location: Kentucky

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by xvCODY »

I normally dont buy from there. I check back and forth on prices for tank equipment like filters and such but for ALL my live purchases i always go to the good LFS. It isnt a chain store. Its a single "ma and pa" store.
User avatar
hadla
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by hadla »

no, the one nearest to my house takes good care of all their animals... and i got dory from a different one in 2005 and shes my little baby now
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
User avatar
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 4167
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA
Location: Orange Park, FL

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

petco/petsmart around here suck but petsupermarket is usually pretty good and the guys that work there have been there forever and know there walrus.
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
User avatar
xvCODY
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Smudge - 1.5 inch GSP
Location (country): United States
Location: Kentucky

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by xvCODY »

lol, surlaW?
User avatar
Salmon
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:54 pm
My Puffers: Albie (F8) soon to be rehomed
Milo and Millie (DPs)
Location (country): United States of America
Location: Ohio

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Salmon »

surlaW equals another word for poop
Those who say money can't buy happiness don't know where to find puffers.
User avatar
hadla
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1626
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California
Location: Sacramento, CA
Contact:

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by hadla »

as in shiznit XD
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Srkoe
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 770
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:46 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka "Ares"
2 GSP "Wally"&"Marty"
6 Dwarfs "the peas"
2 Figure 8 "Fugu"&"Gizzard"
1 Honeycomb Toby "Ashera"
2 Congo "P-Nut"&"Bevo"
1 mystery puffer (turgidus?)"Manson"
Location (country): United States

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Srkoe »

I'm sure Petco employees have guidelines they have to follow. I happen to live in an area with a "nice" Petco if you will. The only fish I have bought from there have been guppies and a bumblebee goby. The head of the fish department is awesome! You can tell she truly cares and busts her butt to keep the tanks clean and the fish taken care of. She is very educated and knows her stuff. I go there often to browse and pick up supplies. I've heard her on many occasions giving people who are obviously new the hobby wonderful advice. The only private owned LFS in my area often gives rather crappy advice. I wish Sadie would just open her own store so I wouldn't have to go to Petco to talk to her.
User avatar
xvCODY
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:09 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Smudge - 1.5 inch GSP
Location (country): United States
Location: Kentucky

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by xvCODY »

The guy thats always working on the tanks at my PetCo is super nice and has a vast amount of knowledge about aquariums. Sadly though i think they let others work on the tanks and thats why theyre so crappy most of the time. Dead fish/ich/etc.
User avatar
Dadof4
Tech Team
Posts: 2862
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:50 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States
Location: North Wisconsin

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by Dadof4 »

I hate to admit this but I buy from Petco a lot. The one close to here is very good, clean tanks, healthy fish, and they quarantine their fish before placing them on display. About a year ago someone put liquid dish soap in one of their main tanks and it wiped out the rest seeing as they are on central filtration. They were down for a few months while they rebuilt and to get the rebuild done they hired someone that knew what they were doing and she has it running her way, not the Petco Way. It also help that I know her very well..... :shock:
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
puffpaddy
Figure 8 Puffer
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:27 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: RIP-Puffy(GSP)
10gal Snail tank.
Location (country): Dana Point CA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by puffpaddy »

I alternate between Petco and Petsmart, the nearest LFS is 35 mins away while petco and petsmart are 5-10. The LFS doesnt carry ghost shrimp, and is more about SW than anything. Petsmart has a better selection I.E. filters and equipment, but the employees are usually a little off. But the Petco I go to has 2 fish guys that are AWESOME! They have always given me good advice (petco was the first place I went when I got my GSP), and I have continued to get good advice from them, and they hook me up on under the table deals!

But yes most of the time those stores are iffy cause there may be one person who take care of the tanks they way he or she should, and others half-buttocks it.
"I SAID BABAY YOUS A PUFF MANNNN!"


This is my other hobbie..
User avatar
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Posts: 1894
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:41 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA
Location: South Carolina

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by sevenyearnight »

xvCODY wrote:lol, surlaW?
walrus !!!
I guess some Petco stores can be ok, but it's like Dadof4 says, it depends on the management. I don't like that I catch them telling people to put "aquarium salt" in their tanks, even the girl studying to become a biologist. You'd think she'd know better. But I think they are "ok" overall.
Image
User avatar
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 519
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 am
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA
Location: Royal Palm Beach , Florida_ USA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Around here Petcos dont really carry any marine supplies , other than marine salt and some fish food ! Petsmart has much more!
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
puffpaddy
Figure 8 Puffer
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:27 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: RIP-Puffy(GSP)
10gal Snail tank.
Location (country): Dana Point CA

Re: Are all PetCos bad?

Post by puffpaddy »

One thing that the Petcos and Petsmarts don't do is keep puffers! At least in the ones in my surrounding area...
"I SAID BABAY YOUS A PUFF MANNNN!"


This is my other hobbie..
Post Reply