Hi All!!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Hi All!!
i would keep that filter and add another bigger one as i love multi-filtering. I would also advise just keeping the f8 on his own in a 20gal, less is more with puffers. Also bbg's can turn out to be a nice snack for a f8 so if you do get them dont get attached. You are doing the right thing with your research and will make a good puffer mummy lol. Good luck
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
- goldielocke76
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
- Location (country): California, USA
Re: Hi All!!
Thanks! I am definitely trying. At this time I think I am going to be sticking with the one puff until I get a bigger tank. =) Sorry, still new to the whole forum world, so if it's a while before I reply again, it's not because I am ignoring everyone, I just don't know how to navigate the forum yet LoL. =D
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
- goldielocke76
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
- Location (country): California, USA
Re: Hi All!!
How long is a python hose? It's about 10 feet from the closest faucet LoL...and it would only be the bathroom one at that. At least it will be near a window...it's going to be easy to empty, just a pita to refill haha.
**I see lots of bucket carrying in my future** ahahaha =)
**I see lots of bucket carrying in my future** ahahaha =)
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
Re: Hi All!!
You can buy extensions for the hose to get whatever you need. They also come in different length in the orginal packages.
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hi All!!
I have a 100' hose on my Python. It goes from my basement & up to the opposite end of the house.
Be sure to read the fishless cycling articles & the one on F8s, in our Library.
Be sure to read the fishless cycling articles & the one on F8s, in our Library.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- goldielocke76
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
- Location (country): California, USA
Re: Hi All!!
@Pufferpunk: I have been reading thru them like crazy, they all have great information in them!! ^.^ I did miss that one though, so I will definitely go back and look. The local shop here "rents" out Giant Danios for tank cycling, so I was thinking about getting a few of those after I got my tank filled with water. 100' hose....I don't know where I would keep something like that in our tiny apartment LOL. Definitely going to have to get something. It will help with my betta tank too, I am sure. =)
So, I was thinking, since I have to cycle for a few weeks before getting the fish, is it possible to cycle now, and add plants/decor later? Maybe during a water change or something? I am buying bits and pieces right now, since I have to buy textbooks for school starting this week (major class books are not cheap. = /). Wasn't sure if that was done, but I was sure I could ask around here to see what people thought. =)
So, I was thinking, since I have to cycle for a few weeks before getting the fish, is it possible to cycle now, and add plants/decor later? Maybe during a water change or something? I am buying bits and pieces right now, since I have to buy textbooks for school starting this week (major class books are not cheap. = /). Wasn't sure if that was done, but I was sure I could ask around here to see what people thought. =)
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
- goldielocke76
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
- Location (country): California, USA
Re: Hi All!!
Forgot to mention this in my other post:
I went to the fish store today, to look at possible puffs, and to get an idea of how I want to set my tank up. I was asking an employee about filters, and he told me he recommended a Eheim Pro3 G65(2170) rated at 250gph canister filter. I thought this was a bit over kill myself, but my goodness...$285.99 plus tax! I bought AquaClear 70 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed for $34.83 on Amazon and says it performs about the same rate. If I need to get the canister, then the aqua clear would be a temporary fix until I can a. find a cheaper Eheim and b. afford one period. Is a canister filter really necessary for one lil puff?
I went to the fish store today, to look at possible puffs, and to get an idea of how I want to set my tank up. I was asking an employee about filters, and he told me he recommended a Eheim Pro3 G65(2170) rated at 250gph canister filter. I thought this was a bit over kill myself, but my goodness...$285.99 plus tax! I bought AquaClear 70 Power Filter - 110 V, UL Listed for $34.83 on Amazon and says it performs about the same rate. If I need to get the canister, then the aqua clear would be a temporary fix until I can a. find a cheaper Eheim and b. afford one period. Is a canister filter really necessary for one lil puff?
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
- xrayjeeper83
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 4167
- Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon - Location (country): USA
- Location: Orange Park, FL
Re: Hi All!!
all you need to have to cycle is water and a filter
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
- goldielocke76
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
- Location (country): California, USA
Re: Hi All!!
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: Hi All!!
Eheims rock tho. They are well worth the extra IMO if you can afford it. If not the sun suns are good if you don't mind modifying them
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hi All!!
AC HOB filter is fine for your system. I have an old 110 on my 20g with a single miurus.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- goldielocke76
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
- Location (country): California, USA
Re: Hi All!!
@PP, thank you! I might invest in one of the gargantuan sized filters at a later date, I understand their value with their current flow and what not. But really, I thought the guy was trying to push it on me. Almost felt like I couldn't have a puffer without one. That's how it came across towards me anyways. I thought 70 gallons was a teeny tiny bit on the overkill side for a 20 gallon, but I would rather have o.k. and not under with a puffer after reading so much about them...
Filter came today! Huzzah! Now I just have to wait to get substrate and decor = / was going to get all of that today, but, on my way to the university, the car broke down. We (the BF and I) had to push the car out of the road, to a gas station, only to find that he doesn't have towing insurance. We had to then push the car back to the apt complex, (which thank God it was only about a mile or so away), but pushing a car in 86 degree weather on black asphalt sucks hahahaha.
Btw, what kind of adhesive would I use that is tank/puffer friendly, if I wanted to glue rocks and or plastic plants to PVC....thank you in advance for the answer!
Oh yeah: I was thinking about getting a snail farm/ shrimp...thing...set up. "Thing" is the word I used because I wanted to ask: does it have to be in a tank? Does it need a filter? I have a 3 gallon (possibly 5 gallon, not sure, would have to measure) sterilite container in which I was given to transport the original fish that came with the tank. I was hoping that maybe I could put some gravel in this, with a few cheap plants, and keep snails in there, and shrimp when I need to load them up. Any thoughts, any suggestions?
Filter came today! Huzzah! Now I just have to wait to get substrate and decor = / was going to get all of that today, but, on my way to the university, the car broke down. We (the BF and I) had to push the car out of the road, to a gas station, only to find that he doesn't have towing insurance. We had to then push the car back to the apt complex, (which thank God it was only about a mile or so away), but pushing a car in 86 degree weather on black asphalt sucks hahahaha.
Btw, what kind of adhesive would I use that is tank/puffer friendly, if I wanted to glue rocks and or plastic plants to PVC....thank you in advance for the answer!
Oh yeah: I was thinking about getting a snail farm/ shrimp...thing...set up. "Thing" is the word I used because I wanted to ask: does it have to be in a tank? Does it need a filter? I have a 3 gallon (possibly 5 gallon, not sure, would have to measure) sterilite container in which I was given to transport the original fish that came with the tank. I was hoping that maybe I could put some gravel in this, with a few cheap plants, and keep snails in there, and shrimp when I need to load them up. Any thoughts, any suggestions?
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
- Pufftastic
- Green Spotted Puffer
- Posts: 430
- Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm
- My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus - Location (country): California USA
Re: Hi All!!
You can definitely breed snails in something other than an aquarium. I'd recommend at least 8-10 gallons minimum (I have my snails in a 10) so you won't have to perform endless water changes -- snails are messy and poop a LOT. The more room you give 'em, the more water you have to dilute the ick. However, if you only have one puffer, you won't need to maintain a large snail colony, so your 5 gallon container might suffice.
For adhesive, you can use aquarium silicone. It's sold at any LFS and comes in a tube. It's clear and will definitely stick rocks or plants to PVC.
Welcome to the world of puffers! Warning: they're addictive.
For adhesive, you can use aquarium silicone. It's sold at any LFS and comes in a tube. It's clear and will definitely stick rocks or plants to PVC.
Welcome to the world of puffers! Warning: they're addictive.
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
- goldielocke76
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 878
- Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm
- Location (country): California, USA
Re: Hi All!!
Hehe, thank you for the welcome! I find myself thoroughly enjoying myself here-- I can't wait to get to a compy to check any new posts, LoL.Pufftastic wrote:You can definitely breed snails in something other than an aquarium. I'd recommend at least 8-10 gallons minimum (I have my snails in a 10) so you won't have to perform endless water changes -- snails are messy and poop a LOT. The more room you give 'em, the more water you have to dilute the ick. However, if you only have one puffer, you won't need to maintain a large snail colony, so your 5 gallon container might suffice.
For adhesive, you can use aquarium silicone. It's sold at any LFS and comes in a tube. It's clear and will definitely stick rocks or plants to PVC.
Welcome to the world of puffers! Warning: they're addictive.
I am already finding myself addicted, and I don't even have one yet = / I really, really WANT a GSP, there is one at the LFS, with a bright, green head. He was the exact color I thought of when someone said "Green spotted puffer." I want him so bad, but I wouldn't have any where to put him, I know he needs at least a 29 gal bare min, and my 20 gal was free........BUT IT'S KILLING ME. He follows my finger every time I say hi to him, he's the most active one in the tank and I swear, his little finny butt wiggles...darnit. I need to stop thinking about him LOL
That aquarium silicon, does it come in different sizes? I am going to need a decent amount of it LoL. I bought some PVC parts, a 45 and a T, and I wanted to glue rocks/plants on to them so they wouldn't look so bad. Also thought my lil puff would enjoy them, as they are hiding spots.
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)
RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3