New member
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New member
How is everyone doing?
First of all let me thank you for a great site. My name is J. living in Ireland at the moment and foreseeable future.
Today, after cycling my 60l tank, I went and bought my first green spotted well three actually. All no more than an inch long. And yes I was told they are a freshwater fish.
After doing a little (more) research I came across a great article written by pufferpunk in 2005 which led me to this site. Thank you for that.
A few days ago I went looking for snails to start a feeder tank and was sold some assassin snails which upon entry killed off the minute amount of pest snails i found on some plants in the puffer aquarium. (man do i feel stupid just typing this).
Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and will be trying to find out more on steadily changing the tank to brackish. Do I add the small amounts of marine salt during water changes? (reading in the article to up the solidity .002 a week?????????? Wasnt reading up on marine at all sorry)
Thanks
J.
First of all let me thank you for a great site. My name is J. living in Ireland at the moment and foreseeable future.
Today, after cycling my 60l tank, I went and bought my first green spotted well three actually. All no more than an inch long. And yes I was told they are a freshwater fish.
After doing a little (more) research I came across a great article written by pufferpunk in 2005 which led me to this site. Thank you for that.
A few days ago I went looking for snails to start a feeder tank and was sold some assassin snails which upon entry killed off the minute amount of pest snails i found on some plants in the puffer aquarium. (man do i feel stupid just typing this).
Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and will be trying to find out more on steadily changing the tank to brackish. Do I add the small amounts of marine salt during water changes? (reading in the article to up the solidity .002 a week?????????? Wasnt reading up on marine at all sorry)
Thanks
J.
- xrayjeeper83
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 4167
- Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon - Location (country): USA
- Location: Orange Park, FL
Re: New member
Welcome
Before you worry about moving to brackish/salt, get a tank suitable for 3 GSPs. 60l is about 15 gallons which is WAY WAY WAY to small. You need atleast 90g or 340l.
And dont worry about the snail thing, we all make mistakes
Before you worry about moving to brackish/salt, get a tank suitable for 3 GSPs. 60l is about 15 gallons which is WAY WAY WAY to small. You need atleast 90g or 340l.
And dont worry about the snail thing, we all make mistakes
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
Re: New member
Really too small I was afraid of that. and you know what? The shop assistant is expecting me back in five days to collect the two south american puffers i originally put the deposit on. for the same tank. and I went through the whole set up with him.
I also have a 90l (25g?) tank doing nothing but I cant seem to source a lid for it
Thanks.
J.
I also have a 90l (25g?) tank doing nothing but I cant seem to source a lid for it
Thanks.
J.
Re: New member
So just looking in the pufferpedia I should bring my spotted puffers back to the shop and stick with the south american puffer says there they need less tank size/space?
- Salmon
- Green Spotted Puffer
- Posts: 270
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:54 pm
- My Puffers: Albie (F8) soon to be rehomed
Milo and Millie (DPs) - Location (country): United States of America
- Location: Ohio
Re: New member
I could be wrong but I believe south american puffers will eventually need their teeth trimmed... so I wouldn't pick them as a first puffer.
Those who say money can't buy happiness don't know where to find puffers.
- xrayjeeper83
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 4167
- Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon - Location (country): USA
- Location: Orange Park, FL
Re: New member
Neither would I. SAP's are hard to keep and you need a long tank for them. Plus they dont act like other puffers. very skitish
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
- Reaperpilot2014
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 638
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 am
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers! - Location (country): USA
- Location: Utah
Re: New member
How did it go with the fish store? Did you end up getting the SA puffers? They should be kept in a tank on their own, and preferably in a group of 3 or more. As for dentistry, they only need their teeth trimmed about once a year if you feed them a regular diet of snails. As for the GS puffers, what did you end up deciding. Are they going to be in the same tank together?
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...
Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
Nom nom nom!...
Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: New member
Actually, every 4-6 months for dentistry, is more like it...
library/hospital/dentistry/
library/hospital/dentistry/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- Reaperpilot2014
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 638
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 am
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers! - Location (country): USA
- Location: Utah
Re: New member
Have you had to do it that often before? That would get annoying I'd think.
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...
Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
Nom nom nom!...
Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: New member
Yep
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- Reaperpilot2014
- Fahaka Puffer
- Posts: 638
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:38 am
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: 150g - 1 Fahaka Puffer "Ramses" (The Pharaoh)
55g - 3 SA Puffers "Larry, Curly, * Moe"
30g - 1 GSP "Demon"
15g - 1 C. Irrubesco "Raoden"
29g - 1 Figure 8 - Looking for good name ideas...
29g - Ramshorn, Marmorkreb, Cherry & Ghost Shrimp Breeder Tank
10 wonderful years with puffers! - Location (country): USA
- Location: Utah
Re: New member
Then I guess my SAPs are either mutated or I'm really really lucky lol. Or my memory is failing... that's a scary thought.
It's a crayfish! It's a snail! It's a... ah who cares?
Nom nom nom!...
Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?
Nom nom nom!...
Tank: 4 liter custom-shaped sphere
Contents: 1 Brainfish
Ph: 7.4
Ammonia, nitrites, nitrates: ?
Problem: Cloudy/muddy water
Can you help me?