GSP owner new to TPF
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
-
NMpufferfiend
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:15 am
- Location (country): Albuquerque NM USA
GSP owner new to TPF
I would like to introduce myself and my GSP Puffy. My name is Sean, and this is actually my second attempt at keeping GSP's. The first time was a tragic incident due to lack of knowledge on both mine and my LFS. After MUCH research and years of success with two brackish water tanks (55g fiddler crab, 18g sailfin mollie), I decided I was ready for another one of these delightful creatures. I found a juvenile GSP at one of my LFS being housed in 1.006 sp. gr., and brought him home to temporarily stay in my 18g bow front. After a slow acclimation by drip to my 1.009 established tank, I introduced him and he readily went about ridding my tank of snails (as well as ghost shrimp and quite a few juvenile mollies). He has been in this tank for about a month and a half while I got a 29g for him and let it cycle. He is growing nicely at around 1.75" and is now in 1.012 sp. gr. water. His new tank is almost ready, and I hope to have him in there within the week. He readily eats up snails, frozen krill (thawed), and small mollies, but still refuses flake and crisps. I count it as a privilege to be a member of such a vast and knowledgeable community of Puffer keepers.
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: GSP owner new to TPF
welcome to the forum
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
- puffykid
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 537
- Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 3:16 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Madison, WI
Re: GSP owner new to TPF
Welcome to the forum!
= D
Gsp don't eat flakes thats why he isn't eating them. Also krill can cause lockjaw and shouldn't be fed on a regular basis.
= D
Gsp don't eat flakes thats why he isn't eating them. Also krill can cause lockjaw and shouldn't be fed on a regular basis.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
- bertie 83
- Moderator
- Posts: 5298
- Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis - Location (country): Brighton, England
- Location: brighton , england
Re: GSP owner new to TPF
didnt spot that no flakes should be given
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
-
NMpufferfiend
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:15 am
- Location (country): Albuquerque NM USA
Re: GSP owner new to TPF
Thanks for the warm welcome. I pretty much new he'd (assuming male) refuse the flakes and crisps, but that's what the mollies and shrimp get fed, so I was hoping... Oh well, he seems to be quite content on his snail and tankmate diet. I'm also trying other forms of food such as clams and such, but with no luck. He loves his snails though. Goes absolutely ballistic stalking the tank for them and gobbles them up immediately.
Re: GSP owner new to TPF
Hi NMpufferfiend and welcome to The Puffer Forum. Here are a couple great links from our libary on feeding and general care.
library/category/feeding/
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
Ghost shrimp are ok for feeling but i would skip the mollys. Make sure to quarintine before feeding.
library/category/feeding/
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
Ghost shrimp are ok for feeling but i would skip the mollys. Make sure to quarintine before feeding.
-
NMpufferfiend
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:15 am
- Location (country): Albuquerque NM USA
Re: GSP owner new to TPF
Thanks for the links. I do have another question that I'm sure has been answered on here before, but I'm not having any luck finding an answer. How big should my little Puffy be before I make the gradual switch to full marine conditions. As I stated in my original post, I've been raising his sp. gr. by .001 every two weeks or so. Thanks in advance for your help and apologies for the noob questions, but I'd rather look like a noob than risk the safety of my finned buddy.
Re: GSP owner new to TPF
The reason that we do suggest that GSP's go full marine is the money. They can live fine in high end brackish their whole life but the cost can be high. Proper filteration in saltwater cuts down on waterchanges thrus saving money. The proper filterage is live rock 1 1/2 - 2 lbs per gallon, a good protein skimmer and good flow, that is it ( sump is also useful). Most start transtion over at about 2" give or take.
-
NMpufferfiend
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:15 am
- Location (country): Albuquerque NM USA
Re: GSP owner new to TPF
Thanks for the info. And I don't feed him mollies, more like he decides to feed himself mollies. While his 29g is cycling he has been housed in an established brackish mollie breeding tank. So he basically has a tank full of constantly replenishing healthy, well fed snacks. Same with the ghost shrimp. There where about 12 when I introduced him, now I count 3. And I definitely don't feed him if he's "snacked" during the day. Don't want him overeating, but its hard to keep him from doing what comes natural, hunting.