New to the puffer forum
- Sylar_92
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Figure 8 puffer and dwarf pea puffers
- Location (country): Canada
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
New to the puffer forum
Hey gals and gals, Name's Sylar. As the title says Im new to the forum. I currently own a baby 2" figure 8 puffer in a brackish 35gallon with barbs and danios. Im planning to buy a baby fahaka in the next three months and I was wondering what accomendations would I need for the little guy compared to a figure 8? Beside a farily larger tank. Thanks in advance, I'll post some pics of my figure 8 later on today. 
- J-P
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 5626
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Japan
- Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Re: New to the puffer forum
LOL!! don't tell me you're from Bancroft!!
Welcome to the forum!!!
A Fahaka needs a really big tank... really big.
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/T_Lineatus/
I had a larger tank but the width is the key. Just because you have the water volume, doesn't mean it is ideal for one of these monsters.
Welcome to the forum!!!
A Fahaka needs a really big tank... really big.
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/T_Lineatus/
I had a larger tank but the width is the key. Just because you have the water volume, doesn't mean it is ideal for one of these monsters.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: New to the puffer forum
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)
How much salt is in your "brackish" tank? What kind of salt? Neither barbs nor danios are BW fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- Sylar_92
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Figure 8 puffer and dwarf pea puffers
- Location (country): Canada
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: New to the puffer forum
LOL, Iam from Toronto. I understand they will need a huge tank and I have a 90gallon in my cellar waiting for him, which is wider and longer than a 90gallon tall. I was wondering if the PH or salt content would be different for it compared to my figure 8's setup. Thanks for the link, appreciate it.J-P wrote:LOL!! don't tell me you're from Bancroft!!
Welcome to the forum!!!
A Fahaka needs a really big tank... really big.
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/T_Lineatus/
I had a larger tank but the width is the key. Just because you have the water volume, doesn't mean it is ideal for one of these monsters.
- Sylar_92
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Figure 8 puffer and dwarf pea puffers
- Location (country): Canada
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: New to the puffer forum
Not really sure anymore lol, I use to have bumble bee gobies in the 35gallon. The danios and barbs have been in the same tank for roughly 2 years now. The salt didnt really seem to bother them so I just left the in there. I currently use Instant Ocean for the brackish water, generally I tend to use 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons. For substrate I have silica sand which is neutral, do you think it will be better to switch to a higher PH sand.Pufferpunk wrote:
How much salt is in your "brackish" tank? What kind of salt? Neither barbs nor danios are BW fish.
Last edited by Sylar_92 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
- J-P
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 5626
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Japan
- Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Re: New to the puffer forum
no salt... no salt, no salt..
90 gals is a tad too small. Even in my 210 I couldn't have one.
90 gals is a tad too small. Even in my 210 I couldn't have one.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
- xrayjeeper83
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 4167
- Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon - Location (country): USA
- Location: Orange Park, FL
Re: New to the puffer forum
Fahaka's are pure freshwater, no salt. But you need a 120 gallon tank minimum
You really really need to know what the SG(specific gravitiy) is. With a hydrometer or refractor for the F8
You really really need to know what the SG(specific gravitiy) is. With a hydrometer or refractor for the F8
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: New to the puffer forum
Xray is referring to your BW F8 tank. You don't just toss salt in there. They do best at a SG of 1.005. That's roughly a cup of salt/5g. I don't think your FW fish would like it much in there...
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- Sylar_92
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Figure 8 puffer and dwarf pea puffers
- Location (country): Canada
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: New to the puffer forum
Alright thanks, I'm a bit new to the puffer scene. I only kept my figure 8 for a month now, I always thought puffers were either BW or pure SW. Its pretty cool to see that a Fahaka is pure fresh water. Thanks for the feedback.xrayjeeper83 wrote:Fahaka's are pure freshwater, no salt. But you need a 120 gallon tank minimum
You really really need to know what the SG(specific gravitiy) is. With a hydrometer or refractor for the F8
- Sylar_92
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Figure 8 puffer and dwarf pea puffers
- Location (country): Canada
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: New to the puffer forum
LOL, my bad. Yes I do use a cup per 5 gallon, I current study culinery and I have to type up alot recipies. If tsp or tblsp keeps showing up forgive me. I will remove the FW though.Pufferpunk wrote:Xray is referring to your BW F8 tank. You don't just toss salt in there. They do best at a SG of 1.005. That's roughly a cup of salt/5g. I don't think your FW fish would like it much in there...
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: New to the puffer forum
Glad you found us!
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- Sylar_92
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 29
- Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:01 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Figure 8 puffer and dwarf pea puffers
- Location (country): Canada
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: New to the puffer forum
A question I have always thought about was if it was possible to use kitchen grade non-iodize seasalt as a substitute for aquarium salt. I heard it was possible but I also heard it wasn't. I never tried it fearing it might kill my fish. Also should I switch my silica sand to CaribeSea Arogonite? I been reading today and it says it better for figure 8's. The only other puffers I had before this figure 8 was a group of 5 pea puffers.Pufferpunk wrote:Glad you found us!
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
- J-P
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 5626
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Japan
- Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Re: New to the puffer forum
marine salt only, no aquarium salt, no table salt.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
- Salmon
- Green Spotted Puffer
- Posts: 270
- Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:54 pm
- My Puffers: Albie (F8) soon to be rehomed
Milo and Millie (DPs) - Location (country): United States of America
- Location: Ohio
Re: New to the puffer forum
The argonite would be good because it will keep your pH up around 8 which is ideal for fig 8s. Also you want to use Marine salt, not aquarium salt or iodized table salt, just marine salt.
Those who say money can't buy happiness don't know where to find puffers.
- J-P
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 5626
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Japan
- Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Re: New to the puffer forum
can't say that argonite will be of use or not without knowing the pH of the tap water.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q