I'm New

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
verona
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 am
Location (country): United States

I'm New

Post by verona »

Which I guess is obvious, since I'm posting this. I've been really interested in puffer fish since about a month and a half ago when I saw one at the local aquarium. I'd been wanting to get an aquarium for my home anyway, so I started researching the care of puffers-- don't want to be one of those people who get pets they don't know how to properly care for. Becoming active in a forum about them seemed like a good idea, both so I could get answers to any questions I might have that Google can't answer, and so I'd have people to talk to about these awesome fish.

Anyway, nice to meet you all! :D
User avatar
eieio
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:34 am
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.
Location: Prescott, Arizona

Re: I'm New

Post by eieio »

welcome verona :)
you found your way to an amazing forum with amazing people, who can help you with whatever you need help with :D
what kind of puffer strikes your fancy?
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
User avatar
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Posts: 2938
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm
Location (country): Canada

Re: I'm New

Post by Flutter »

Welcome :) We're happy to help you through this awesome journey.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
verona
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 am
Location (country): United States

Re: I'm New

Post by verona »

Thank you both!

I really like the Green Spotted Puffer, but I'm told that the South American/Amazon Puffers are best for beginners.
User avatar
eieio
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 1033
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:34 am
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.
Location: Prescott, Arizona

Re: I'm New

Post by eieio »

verona wrote:Thank you both!

I really like the Green Spotted Puffer, but I'm told that the South American/Amazon Puffers are best for beginners.
what size tank are you thinking?
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
User avatar
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Posts: 2938
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm
Location (country): Canada

Re: I'm New

Post by Flutter »

SAPs aren't really as they require regular dentistry and a specialized tank. I would recommend a F8. They're lightly brackish but awesome fish. If you want to stick with freshwater then I would go with a red eye species.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
verona
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 am
Location (country): United States

Re: I'm New

Post by verona »

eieio wrote:I really like the Green Spotted Puffer, but I'm told that the South American/Amazon Puffers are best for beginners.
what size tank are you thinking?[/quote]

About 45g-50g probably.
Flutter wrote:SAPs aren't really as they require regular dentistry and a specialized tank. I would recommend a F8. They're lightly brackish but awesome fish. If you want to stick with freshwater then I would go with a red eye species.
The specialized tank isn't really a big deal, because all I'd be keeping in there is the puffer(s) anyway, so I can make the tank how they'd like it and not have to worry about how suited it is for other fish. How regular is "regular dentistry?" I don't have a problem with brackish fish.

Anyway, I'll check out F8s and red eyes.
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
Posts: 5298
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England
Location: brighton , england

Re: I'm New

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: I'm New

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
If you've never kept fish at all before, then you have a lot to learn. There's tons more than just buying an aquarium, filling it with water & plopping in a fish. Read the water/filtration articles in our Library & also the puffer articles. Also, check out our Pufferpedia for puffer's requirements, etc.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sevenyearnight

Re: I'm New

Post by sevenyearnight »

Unless you like the idea of catching 5 or so fish every few months, holding them, and clipping their teeth with nail clippers, I would not suggest south american puffers.

Your conscientious attitude and forethought is a much welcome change to certain common attitudes and practices.
Last edited by sevenyearnight on Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verona
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 am
Location (country): United States

Re: I'm New

Post by verona »

Pufferpunk wrote:[welcome]
If you've never kept fish at all before, then you have a lot to learn. There's tons more than just buying an aquarium, filling it with water & plopping in a fish. Read the water/filtration articles in our Library & also the puffer articles. Also, check out our Pufferpedia for puffer's requirements, etc.
Will do. I'm currently looking for a good tank, filters that will actually filter the right amount of water, etc., and then I'll start cycling the tank (fishless). I was looking through Pufferpedia for a good type of puffer, and I think I have to agree with the person who said a figure eight would be good. I'm really excited, but I also don't want to get ahead of myself and get an animal I'm not prepared to take care of. Thank you for all the advice. :)
User avatar
J-P
Former Staff Member
Posts: 5626
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
Gender: Male
Location (country): Japan
Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan

Re: I'm New

Post by J-P »

Welcome to the forum!!

I am sure, what ever you choose, you will have a long lived friend. Do your homework and select wisely.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
User avatar
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Re: I'm New

Post by Pufftastic »

It's always great to hear about someone researching puffers BEFORE getting one. I agree that F8s are an awesome intro to the world of puffs. I started with dwarf puffers (DPs) myself, which are purely freshwater, and eventually worked up to keeping F8s in brackish.

You could have 2 or 3 F8s in a tank the size you're considering. Very cool fish.
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
Post Reply