Just got a new baby puffer
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
-
sevenyearnight
Re: Just got a new baby puffer
Livesand is special: Companies get to sell mostly ammonia filled dead bacteria water, and that contributes to the net weight. So they get to sell less sand for more money.
-
CyberBob
Re: Just got a new baby puffer
So in the future, should I just buy the same sand I would for freshwater?sevenyearnight wrote:Livesand is special: Companies get to sell mostly ammonia filled dead bacteria water, and that contributes to the net weight. So they get to sell less sand for more money.
If so, how can I make it "live"? I would assume that's where some live rock might come into play?
For that matter ... I live in Florida. I have tons of free sand all around me.
Could I just use some sand from the beach and rinse it very well?
I always wondered, but never researched it.
Also, could I use beach sand for freshwater? (e.g. my DPs, just put it on top of the existing gravel?)
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it seems to be relative and could be informative to someone else
- puffykid
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 537
- Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 3:16 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Madison, WI
Re: Just got a new baby puffer
Cyberbob you can actually use the sand by the beach, but I think the accepted procedure on this forum is that you got to wash it and then bake it at high temperatures (I think around 400 degrees please correct if wrong) for a few hours first. A easier way to get the sand is to use Aragonite sand instead(it also helps steady the ph to be around 8 which isn't that important for dp but is useful for gsp), and the way to make "live" sand is to use cured LR (just like you said) and that will seed the sand with actual life, instead of dead bacteria.CyberBob wrote:So in the future, should I just buy the same sand I would for freshwater?sevenyearnight wrote:Livesand is special: Companies get to sell mostly ammonia filled dead bacteria water, and that contributes to the net weight. So they get to sell less sand for more money.
If so, how can I make it "live"? I would assume that's where some live rock might come into play?
For that matter ... I live in Florida. I have tons of free sand all around me.
Could I just use some sand from the beach and rinse it very well?
I always wondered, but never researched it.
Also, could I use beach sand for freshwater? (e.g. my DPs, just put it on top of the existing gravel?)
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it seems to be relative and could be informative to someone else
Last edited by puffykid on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
- xrayjeeper83
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 4167
- Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon - Location (country): USA
- Location: Orange Park, FL
Re: Just got a new baby puffer
Yep just what puffy said. The baking of the sand is to kill any harmful bacteria that could be in the sand
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
-
CyberBob
Re: Just got a new baby puffer
Hmmm ... I think I might just have to try that.
I even know a couple spots for "sugar sand" (in my backyard hehe)
But, perhaps I would want a sand that is more coarse.
I'm sure they would love the soft sugar sand, but it would prolly be hard to clean.
It also kills any good bacteria in the process, but it isn't worth the risk. I understand
it's been a while, but I think the way to wash it was a 5g bucket and the tub.
slowly let the water flow so the sand doesn't come out, keep going until the water is clear.
is that the process? did I miss anything?
Thanks
I even know a couple spots for "sugar sand" (in my backyard hehe)
But, perhaps I would want a sand that is more coarse.
I'm sure they would love the soft sugar sand, but it would prolly be hard to clean.
It also kills any good bacteria in the process, but it isn't worth the risk. I understand
it's been a while, but I think the way to wash it was a 5g bucket and the tub.
slowly let the water flow so the sand doesn't come out, keep going until the water is clear.
is that the process? did I miss anything?
Thanks
-
jus85411
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: none currently :(
- Location (country): USA
- Location: Philadelphia Area
Re: Just got a new baby puffer
to the OP: funny you named your GSP pierre, when i had my GSP i named it "rush" because of george "rush" st. pierre
nice looking puff btw. hes chunky already so i dont think it will be an issue but if you can keep and eye out on his poop and make sure its not like white and stringy. is that a white spot he has by his mouth or is just possibly a reflection of light in the second picture?
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Just got a new baby puffer
They call it live sand, because it used to be live. Just like they can say live bacteria in a bottle, because it was live when they placed it there.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"