new owner

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
garciahex
Puffer Fry
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:18 am
Location (country): united states, so cal

new owner

Post by garciahex »

hello my name is hector and I just purchased a green spotted puffer a little bit smaller than an inch. gsp lives in a 40 gallon tank all by himself, the tank has a fluval 305 filtering the water, tank was cycled. when I bought the gsp he was living in freshwater so starting next week I will start to convert the water to brackish. love the articles this forum has and I am sure they will help me with this process. would anybody recommend adding some tank mates or should I just leave the gsp alone
My HD PVR
Green Spotted Puffer
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:46 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): Maryland

Re: new owner

Post by My HD PVR »

tank mates.... im not really sure on the GSP tank mates, but do not get another GSP, having two in there would not end well.
Noobs, it takes one to know one.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: new owner

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

I recommend leaving the GSP by himself. At first it may seem like the tank is just empty because you have one fish but they really have a lot of personality and he/she will get very excited by you just walking into the room soon. Basically anything you get he will kill and eat. if you feel your tank is looking a bit empty add decor. A lot of stuff for this can be found at the dollar store and yard sales, just make sure it's a safe material/paint for the fish. Glazed pots are good for this in my opinion. Lay them on their sides and the puffer will soon be interested enough to go inside.

I also suggest reading this article: library/puffer-care/alone-but-not-lonel ... fers-solo/

Welcome to the forum and best of luck!
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
garciahex
Puffer Fry
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:18 am
Location (country): united states, so cal

Re: new owner

Post by garciahex »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote: I also suggest reading this article: library/puffer-care/alone-but-not-lonel ... fers-solo/

Welcome to the forum and best of luck!

Thanks for that artcle. I think I will just leave the GSP alone. In the long run what would be better. A brakish water tank of full marine .
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: new owner

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

He will need a full marine in the long run but if he's a little smaller than an inch it's unknown how well he will do. I'd say wait until he's like an inch and a half then you can start going full marine but it's a long process anyway.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
User avatar
trekenk
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:53 am
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: new owner

Post by trekenk »

GSP can do fine their whole lives in high brackish water. The reason full marine is highly suggested is to cut down on cost. With the proper marine filteration of liverock and skimmer water chamges can be cut down to once a mouth, hence a big saving on salt. People also like to consider the possible tank mates with a large enough tank and marine conditions.
Michael99
Puffer Fry
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:15 am
Location (country): USA

Re: new owner

Post by Michael99 »

That was a real enlightening discussion especially so since I also bought a green spotted puffer about an inch long (don’t you find that weird??) and was just wondering along the same lines when I happened to read the advice and suggestions given here!! I am sure that I can learn a lot from here – lucky I found this forum!!
_________________________________________________
4396508
Last edited by Michael99 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: new owner

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
1" is the norm for these being offered in most shops.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Post Reply