Hello! New on here

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
jlcoop277
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm
Location (country): USA, TX

Hello! New on here

Post by jlcoop277 »

Hi I'm new to the forum, i'm about to buy my first puffer and found my way here will searching for tips and advice. I'm setting up a 55g 48x12.5x20 and I'm trying to decide on which puffer to get. It's going to be fresh water, and my LFS has Fahaka, Hairy, Spotted and Figure 8. I like the Fahaka the best, then the spotted, Figure 8, and the Hairy last. I'd prefer to stay away from the brackish setup, but not against it.
Any advice would be wonderful!

I'm going to be running Bio-wheel HOB filters a Pen 350 and an Emp 280
Substrate will be pool filter sand.
User avatar
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 3:16 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): Madison, WI

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by puffykid »

Hey welcome. I am a newbie here too so the pros will be coming to answer soon. Here is a gallery of fresh water puffers and their requirements.
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/?g2_GAL ... 2268f31c71


Also here are some brackish puffer fish just to get some idea of what kind they are.
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
User avatar
J-P
Former Staff Member
Posts: 5626
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
Gender: Male
Location (country): Japan
Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by J-P »

Welcome tot he forum!!

Fahaka .. nope tank too small
Spotted? Is that the Green Spotted? They are Brackish water to full marine
F8 .. they are light brackish.
hairy will also fit and if full FW
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
User avatar
El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:11 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by El Scorpio »

Fahaka puffers grow to be a foot and a half long; a 55 gallon aquarium is less than half of what one needs to survive. Green Spotted and Figure 8 puffers are brackish water fish that will NOT live to see their full lives in freshwater. The hairy puffer would work, though. They're hard to find, too; I think having one would be cool.
jlcoop277
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm
Location (country): USA, TX

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by jlcoop277 »

Yes, i keep leaning towards the hairy puffer. If it's there when I go to purchase the Puffer i'll most likely grab him. Idk where you all live, but if you're in DFW where would be the best bet to find a South american or a Brown?
User avatar
J-P
Former Staff Member
Posts: 5626
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
Gender: Male
Location (country): Japan
Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by J-P »

F8s are cool, and the SW level is very mild.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
User avatar
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 4167
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA
Location: Orange Park, FL

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

If I had a 55 to set up, Id got with 3 F8s. Next would be the hairy. Enless you wanna go full marine at some point then Id go with the GSP
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
jlcoop277
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm
Location (country): USA, TX

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by jlcoop277 »

I like the idea of having 3 F8's plus the wife thinks they are "super cute" IF i go that route what would be the best way to set up the tank as far as decor goes? I was going to do some rocks but keep it pretty simple. Do i need to break up the tank into territories? fake plants?
User avatar
greenspottedlover
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:47 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): Vermont

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by greenspottedlover »

At the SG that F8s like, there are even some live plants you could try. I suggest a lot of decor to prevent fighting or stress. I'm a big fan of caves(or any other good hide) because the puffers can completely hide if they want. I use fake skulls for this purpose.
Image
sevenyearnight

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by sevenyearnight »

I use real ones. They were starting to pile up in my basement anyway.
jlcoop277
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm
Location (country): USA, TX

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by jlcoop277 »

Would Mangroves do well in brackish or do they need to be full marine? I should prob create a ghost shrimp/ snail nursery too huh?
User avatar
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 3:16 pm
Gender: Male
Location (country): Madison, WI

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by puffykid »

sevenyearnight wrote:I use real ones. They were starting to pile up in my basement anyway.

+1
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
greenspottedlover
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 632
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:47 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): Vermont

Re: Hello! New on here

Post by greenspottedlover »

Personally, I love my GSP, but if you don't want to deal with a lot of salt it might not be a good option. I kept several freshwater setups before going salt, and honestly, it's not that much more difficult (just expensive).
Image
Post Reply