New with some questions

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
jkl1041
Puffer Fry
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:12 pm
Location (country): U.S.

New with some questions

Post by jkl1041 »

Hey everybody, I just joined and Im interested in getting a puffer fish! It would be a fresh water one forsure but really that is all I have. As of pets I own 2 turtles, a goldfish, 2 mollies, guppies and over 20 baby guppies. Now a tank availiable is a 4 gallon tank that had a filter in built it. Im hopeing I could use this for a puffer but i could always upgrade. Well thats about all I have if anyone could send me some articles for getting started or anything that would be great thanks!
sevenyearnight

Re: New with some questions

Post by sevenyearnight »

The 4 gallon be great to breed snails in. No puffer for that tiny of a tank though. :|
User avatar
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 4167
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA
Location: Orange Park, FL

Re: New with some questions

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

minimum tank for a puffer would be a 5gallon for 1(one) dwarf puffer.

But as stated would be a great snail breeding tank, then get a 10g and get 2 Dp's
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
User avatar
J-P
Former Staff Member
Posts: 5626
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
Gender: Male
Location (country): Japan
Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan

Re: New with some questions

Post by J-P »

you could take a look at:
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/

to see the different basic care requirements
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 971
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: New with some questions

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

As it was said above none of them can be in a four gallon, but it would be great for snails.

A lot of freshwater puffers need at least 20 gallons for just one. But you can get a 5 gallon for one dwarf puffer. However, remember bigger is always better and puffers need extra filtration.

I say give the link, that J-P posted a look and decide on a puffer you like/want and research it =]

Best of luck and have fun with whatever you decide on.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
jkl1041
Puffer Fry
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:12 pm
Location (country): U.S.

Re: New with some questions

Post by jkl1041 »

Thanks guys! Ill check out the link and look into which one I like the best :D
Post Reply