Hi,
My husband and I are currently in the process of converting one of our tanks into a species tank for dwarf puffers. We currently have three other freshwater tanks - a community tank, a betta tank and a shrimp tank. I'm hoping that people here will be able to give us some advice on setting up and maintaining our puffer tank.
Clare
Hello from Scotland!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
- J-P
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 5626
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Japan
- Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Re: Hello from Scotland!
Welcome to the forum!! DPs are really cool! How many were you thinking of getting?
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Scotland!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Re: Hello from Scotland!
Hi, thanks for the welcome and the links.
I've wanted DPs for ages, it's just been a case of waiting until we were in a position to house them correctly. We recently upgraded our community tank from a Juwel Lido 120, and now my husband has agreed I can use that tank for DPs. It's currently housing two rowdy angelfish that don't know how to behave whilst we figure out what to do with them. Its pretty well planted although I did some fairly heavy pruning to cut the jungle back a few weeks ago to make room for the angels and so some of the plants are a bit short and stubby at the moment. On the bright side, they are keeping the tank cycled for me. I was thinking of 5 or 6 DPs in there once some of the plants had grown back.
At the moment I'm figuring out their food. Live food is pretty hard to get near us. We do have one LFS that sell it but "live" isn't the word I'd use to describe the bloodworm they had there this afternoon. I read an article last year sometime by RTR on breeding snails (on Aquaria Central I think it was) but when I went looking for it last the page had been taken down. As I recall it gave the impression that snails were fairly easy to breed (it possible involved snails, water, an ice-cream tub and fish food, but I could be wrong on any of those points).
I've wanted DPs for ages, it's just been a case of waiting until we were in a position to house them correctly. We recently upgraded our community tank from a Juwel Lido 120, and now my husband has agreed I can use that tank for DPs. It's currently housing two rowdy angelfish that don't know how to behave whilst we figure out what to do with them. Its pretty well planted although I did some fairly heavy pruning to cut the jungle back a few weeks ago to make room for the angels and so some of the plants are a bit short and stubby at the moment. On the bright side, they are keeping the tank cycled for me. I was thinking of 5 or 6 DPs in there once some of the plants had grown back.
At the moment I'm figuring out their food. Live food is pretty hard to get near us. We do have one LFS that sell it but "live" isn't the word I'd use to describe the bloodworm they had there this afternoon. I read an article last year sometime by RTR on breeding snails (on Aquaria Central I think it was) but when I went looking for it last the page had been taken down. As I recall it gave the impression that snails were fairly easy to breed (it possible involved snails, water, an ice-cream tub and fish food, but I could be wrong on any of those points).
- J-P
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 5626
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Japan
- Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Re: Hello from Scotland!
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Scotland!
As long as you haven't spoiled them with live (as mine are), they should accept frozen or even freeze-dried. Frozen: mysis shrimp, blood/blackworms, F-D: krill, plankton, shrimp, worms.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
![welcome [welcome]](./images/smilies/welcome.gif)