Hello from Florida
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
- stangd1909
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 163
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm
- Location (country): USA
Hello from Florida
A little back ground, I have a 92 gallon corner tanks with a 20 gallon sump. I let it cycle for 6 weeks and just got my first fish. I got a stars and Stripes Puffer....and I love him. I was looking for a Lion fish, when I came across this little guy. He was just so cool, that I got him instead of the Lion. I plan on upgrading to 300 gallon tank next year, so he will have a bigger house.I am looking forward to learning a lot on this site. It's a really cool site....
Re: Hello from Florida
Welcome to The Puffer Forum stang1909. Do you mind me asking how your tank was cycled?
- stangd1909
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 163
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm
- Location (country): USA
Re: Hello from Florida
trekenk wrote:Welcome to The Puffer Forum stang1909. Do you mind me asking how your tank was cycled?
The first week I had only sand in the tank. Everyday for 7 days I added this bio stuff. At the end of 7 days I added my filter sock and my Live rock, I also added 15-20 LBS of live rock into the sump. I let it run like that for about 4 weeks. I did a water change and let it run for another week. It was good to go after that, I took water up to the LFS and they said it looked good and I was ready for fish. I will be adding a skimmer next week.
Re: Hello from Florida
You really have to keep an eye on your parameters, a good investment now for you is a liquid test kit of your own. Now that you have introduced the puffer the initial bio load is larger than with just the live rock( which wasn't much to begin with). Watch for a ammonia/nitrite spike, puffers don't tolerate these well at all. Most of the stuff in a bottle doesn't work and the ones that do you add fish right away.
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
Last edited by trekenk on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- stangd1909
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 163
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm
- Location (country): USA
Re: Hello from Florida
trekenk wrote:You really have to keep an eye on your parameters, a good investment now for you is a liquid test kit of your own. Now that you have introduced the puffer the initial bio load is larger than with just the live rock. Watch for a ammonia/nitrite spike, puffers don't tolerate these well at all.
I just went out and bought one today. I will be checking the water in a while just to see what it is at.
Re: Hello from Florida
Post them here when you get a chance. You did get the liquid and not the strips?stangd1909 wrote:I just went out and bought one today. I will be checking the water in a while just to see what it is at.
- stangd1909
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 163
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm
- Location (country): USA
Re: Hello from Florida
trekenk wrote:Post them here when you get a chance. You did get the liquid and not the strips?stangd1909 wrote:I just went out and bought one today. I will be checking the water in a while just to see what it is at.
I bought this one, let me know if it is OK before I open it LOL.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... &lmdn=Fish
Re: Hello from Florida
stangd1909 wrote:trekenk wrote:Post them here when you get a chance. You did get the liquid and not the strips?stangd1909 wrote:I just went out and bought one today. I will be checking the water in a while just to see what it is at.
I bought this one, let me know if it is OK before I open it LOL.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... &lmdn=Fish
Good choice.
Make sure to shake the H@ll out of them when testing.
- stangd1909
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 163
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm
- Location (country): USA
- stangd1909
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 163
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm
- Location (country): USA
Re: Hello from Florida
Looks like the
PH-8.4
Ammonia-.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-20ppm
PH-8.4
Ammonia-.25
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-20ppm
Re: Hello from Florida
Looks like you have some ammonia there. Time for a big water change. Ammonia is really hard on puffers.
It isn't cycled......
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
It isn't cycled......
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
Re: Hello from Florida
Your guy isn't breathing heavy at all is he?
- stangd1909
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 163
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm
- Location (country): USA
Re: Hello from Florida
Nope, he is breathing fine. i used my buddies test stripes and the ammonia came out at 0. I am going to recheck with the test kit. when I shake the bottle I lose half the water in the tube. It says not to hold the cap, so I can't keep it tight.
- stangd1909
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 163
- Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm
- Location (country): USA
Re: Hello from Florida
After redoing the test kit, it looks better. If not 0, it is really close....it is not green (.25) this time, and the paper test strip says 0. I will take a sample down to my LFS to have them run a check on it as well.
Re: Hello from Florida
Strips aren't near as accurate as the liquid, I wouldn't trust the strips. I would be surprised if your tank is fully cycled with the way you described cycling it and then adding your guy. Just keep an eye on the parameters.
Are you taking a sample to the same LFS that sold you your dog face puffer???? Sorry but most of us have come to realize most LFS are in the market of making money selling products you don't need and giving not the greatest advice. Sad but true. I had found that most don't take the time to shake the bottle long enough for a accurate reading. Trust you test kit and yourself for this.
Are you taking a sample to the same LFS that sold you your dog face puffer???? Sorry but most of us have come to realize most LFS are in the market of making money selling products you don't need and giving not the greatest advice. Sad but true. I had found that most don't take the time to shake the bottle long enough for a accurate reading. Trust you test kit and yourself for this.



