Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!
Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.
1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.
2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.
3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)
4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.
5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.
We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.
While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.
Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Read this before posting!!
Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.
1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.
2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.
3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)
4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.
5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.
We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.
While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.
Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
- J-P
- Former Staff Member
- Posts: 5626
- Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): Japan
- Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
poor google. Your GSPs and F8s will need separate tanks. GSPs are higher salt levels , and as mentioned 30 gals min. F8s are lower salt levels.
As for the teeth trim, Dadof4 has it pegged. Wait till he / she has healed enough to go ahead with the treatment.
In the meantime; look to separating them into their tanks, research MS-222 (lots of info on this site).
Feeding please check the library:
library/category/feeding/
GSPs:
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Nigroviridis/
F8:
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Biocellatus/
I know that is a lot of reading... but necessary.
As for the teeth trim, Dadof4 has it pegged. Wait till he / she has healed enough to go ahead with the treatment.
In the meantime; look to separating them into their tanks, research MS-222 (lots of info on this site).
Feeding please check the library:
library/category/feeding/
GSPs:
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Nigroviridis/
F8:
library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Brackish/T_Biocellatus/
I know that is a lot of reading... but necessary.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
- jamnmom
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:51 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Two GSP and One F8P
- Location (country): United States
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
OK.. I gave her some blood worms this morning and checked on her again when I got home. She was acting better, but I am still going to transfer Google and her sidekick(other GSP) to a bigger tank and leave the Spot (F8P) in the 25g high.
I tested the water with an API liquid test kits and here are the results:
pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 80 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Salinity - 6 ppt
SG - 1.005
I am doing a 50% water change and will test again in few hours before I go to bed. She has regained her green coloring again and the black is gone from her belly. However, I am still going to move her to a bigger tank. I didn't realize that they needed so much space. I will be buying a 55g tank this weekend. In the mean time I did stop at Petco and buy a 29g (they had the $1 per/gallon sale) to put her in and I am going to start the cycling on that tonight with the water from the water change tonight.
Any other suggestions? I am open to all help and advice.
This site has been really helpful. I have been reading all the links you guys have posted for me and have been trying to read all of the forums as well.. Taking some time, but I am getting through it. Thank you again so much!!! 
P.S. - I posted a couple of pics in my album for you to see what she looks like now.
Jamnmom
I tested the water with an API liquid test kits and here are the results:
pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 80 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Salinity - 6 ppt
SG - 1.005
I am doing a 50% water change and will test again in few hours before I go to bed. She has regained her green coloring again and the black is gone from her belly. However, I am still going to move her to a bigger tank. I didn't realize that they needed so much space. I will be buying a 55g tank this weekend. In the mean time I did stop at Petco and buy a 29g (they had the $1 per/gallon sale) to put her in and I am going to start the cycling on that tonight with the water from the water change tonight.
Any other suggestions? I am open to all help and advice.
P.S. - I posted a couple of pics in my album for you to see what she looks like now.
Jamnmom
- Dadof4
- Tech Team
- Posts: 2862
- Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:50 am
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
- Location (country): United States
- Location: North Wisconsin
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Yeah, you're on the right track! Get the nitrates down below 20, preferably below 10 and I think Google will be a happier, healthier fish. Keep up with the blood worms and if you can try adding some vitamins to them.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Water doesn't contain any the beneficial bacterial use to cycle a tank. Try to obtain use filter media, gravel or ornaments. The link below should be useful to you.jamnmom wrote:I will be buying a 55g tank this weekend. In the mean time I did stop at Petco and buy a 29g (they had the $1 per/gallon sale) to put her in and I am going to start the cycling on that tonight with the water from the water change tonight.
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
- jamnmom
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:51 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Two GSP and One F8P
- Location (country): United States
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Tested this morning and the results were
pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 40 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Salinity - 6 ppt
SG - 1.005
Going to do another water change this evening and will check the paremeters again. I read the article you posted for me Trekenk and I am starting the cycle process on it. I will get some vitamins to soak the blood worms in on my lunch today and give that to her tomorrow morning. Thank you guys so much for all your comments. I appreciate it! Before long Google, Spot and Digit will be a lot healthier and happier in thier new tanks!
Jamnmom
pH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 40 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Salinity - 6 ppt
SG - 1.005
Going to do another water change this evening and will check the paremeters again. I read the article you posted for me Trekenk and I am starting the cycle process on it. I will get some vitamins to soak the blood worms in on my lunch today and give that to her tomorrow morning. Thank you guys so much for all your comments. I appreciate it! Before long Google, Spot and Digit will be a lot healthier and happier in thier new tanks!
Jamnmom
- Dadof4
- Tech Team
- Posts: 2862
- Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:50 am
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
- Location (country): United States
- Location: North Wisconsin
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Huh, odd lunch.....oh well, everyone has their own tastes!jamnmom wrote: I will get some vitamins to soak the blood worms in on my lunch today
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
I love lunchworms!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- jamnmom
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:51 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Two GSP and One F8P
- Location (country): United States
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
LOL.. Yum...
They were so good!
You guys crack me up!
You guys crack me up!
- jamnmom
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:51 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Two GSP and One F8P
- Location (country): United States
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
OK all... I am getting ready to test the water and do another water change. I have the blood worms soaking in the vitamin supplement and will give that to them right after the water change. I am also going to take the one of the filter media's and put it in the 29g to get the cycling started on it. Wish me luck!!! My fingers are crossed for lower nitrates!
I will post the water parameter results later.
Jamnmom
I will post the water parameter results later.
Jamnmom
- c333davis
- Figure 8 Puffer
- Posts: 187
- Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:10 pm
- Gender: Female
- Location (country): Jacksonville, FL, USA
Re: Hello from Oklahoma, United States
Hi, Jamnmom! Love your avatar... talk about a close-up!
How are your puffers doing?
How are your puffers doing?
~ Candice
With the following creatures in various tanks:
1 GSP with live rock and red mushrooms (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25686)
1 Red-ear Slider Turtle—32-yrs-old!
1 African Cichlid - not sure of species
2 Green Terror Cichlids
2 Jack Dempsey Cichlids
~30 Jewel Cichlids
With the following creatures in various tanks:
1 GSP with live rock and red mushrooms (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25686)
1 Red-ear Slider Turtle—32-yrs-old!
1 African Cichlid - not sure of species
2 Green Terror Cichlids
2 Jack Dempsey Cichlids
~30 Jewel Cichlids