New here and to Puffers

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
User avatar
zookey
Figure 8 Puffer
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:04 pm
Location (country): United States

New here and to Puffers

Post by zookey »

Hello... I have had animals in my life since childhood. Dogs, cats, farm animals, wild animals and fish. Have a tendency to take in any stray with a need. I have been keeping fish again for the last 4 years approximately... goldfish and betta to be exact. Quite often I am given a fish someone no longer wants and I graciously take them in. Recently I was given some plattys and an odd little fish with the cutest little face and big adoring eyes. After much internet searching I have decided s/he is a green spotted puffer. I have been looking all over the net for some good advice as to water/food/temps/tank.... stumbled across your site and decided to join. Even though I have kept many fish in the past this is my first experience with these fish or any fish requiring anything other than freshwater, so please forgive me if I ask some really "dumb" questions. What may be common knowledge to most of you will be new and possibly confusing to me. I am determined to make a good home for this little froggy green fish though... no mater the time or effort.

So to start my visit here with one of those dumb questions: Can the puffer and the plattys live in the same tank? They had been kept together by the previous owner in fresh water (no salt) and after doing a bit of research found that the puffer needs salt but my cycled tank was fresh water so I added 1 Tblsp per 5 gallons so as not to harm my cycle and not shock the fish. The fish are all doing well and the puffer has captured the heart of all in the house. Here is to hoping that I can provide a proper home for these fish.
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: New here and to Puffers

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
The platties are not BW fish, although they have been known to tolerate some aquarium salt--which is nopt the same as marine salt & certainly not at the levels required for the high-end BW puffer you have.
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 3979
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:04 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB
Location: South Yorkshire, UK

Re: New here and to Puffers

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Be aware, puffers are addictive, but have so much personality! :D

Also .... [welcome]
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
Post Reply