When to trim?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Post Reply
Piker
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 am
Location (country): Winnipeg

When to trim?

Post by Piker »

Hi

Picked up a F8 several weeks ago. Was going to pick up some dwarfs but came across this guy and he was way too personable. A quick google search on my bb resulted in several websites stating it was freshwater. However I see now that its best to keep this guy in light brackish. He's in with some livebearers atm but hoping to get a brackish tank going soon.

Anyhow I think I may have to trim his teeth as he's a lil bucktooth. :lol: I feed him krill, snails, worms, scallops and flakes(he steals them from the platies). However I have to crush the live snails for him to be able to eat it. I don't think he can open his mouth far enough for the snails. Here's a vid I took, maybe someone can advise.

Image

Image
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: When to trim?

Post by Pufferpunk »

He's definitely ready.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Piker
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 am
Location (country): Winnipeg

Re: When to trim?

Post by Piker »

Pufferpunk wrote:He's definitely ready.
Thanks

The clove oil I picked up did not have a dropper so I put in 0.2ml into 5 cups aquarium water. Once he rolled I put him back into clean water to work on him. Its not quite easy trimming their teeth, there thicker than I thought. Hopefully they dont have nerves like we do or thats gonna be one hell of a tooth ache.
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: When to trim?

Post by Pufferpunk »

Please let this be the last time you use clove oil. It is used mostly for euthanasia. MS222 (Finquel) is much more highly recommended for tranquilizing. A dropper is easy to find for measurement. I hope you didn't overdose. How is he now?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Re: When to trim?

Post by purplecandle »

Has he recovered?

In the future stay away from Clove oil. Now that they are trimmed you should not have to trim them again as long as you stick to hard shelled foods.
Image
Piker
Puffer Fry
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 am
Location (country): Winnipeg

Re: When to trim?

Post by Piker »

Couldn't find Finquel. Even online. The puffers fine. Could have done a better job on the teeth but I'm hoping your right and this is the last time. I've got a tank full of ramsnails, pond snails and shrimp. May I ask whats the difference between the 2. Both are used to euthanize the fish so I'm guessing they're both lethal.

Edit: Nevermind, found library/hospital/dentistry/
User avatar
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Posts: 2938
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm
Location (country): Canada

Re: When to trim?

Post by Flutter »

I crush all of our snails first. If I don't the puffers just bite the foot/flesh off and leave everything that's in the shell.

Your vet can get you some MS-222. They can order it online or possibly through their supplier. My vet just ordered it online and then gave it to me.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
User avatar
J-P
Former Staff Member
Posts: 5626
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:21 am
Gender: Male
Location (country): Japan
Location: Sasebo, Nagasaki, Japan

Re: When to trim?

Post by J-P »

Piker wrote:Couldn't find Finquel. Even online. The puffers fine. Could have done a better job on the teeth but I'm hoping your right and this is the last time. I've got a tank full of ramsnails, pond snails and shrimp. May I ask whats the difference between the 2. Both are used to euthanize the fish so I'm guessing they're both lethal.

Edit: Nevermind, found library/hospital/dentistry/

It was confirmed by Myaj and others that clove oil is carcinogenic. It is never fully removed from the fish's system and trace amounts may reside in the fatty tissues, liver etc... With each dose it takes longer and longer for the fish to recover and eventually they do not recover.

MS-222 is different and is actually used as a transport additive to ship exotic fish world wide (especially the larger ones).

http://www.argent-labs.com/argentwebsite/ms-222.htm

That is where I got mine from.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Posts: 32984
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
Location: Greenville, SC
Contact:

Re: When to trim?

Post by Pufferpunk »

The other problem is when using clove oil the puffer stops breathing, which can cause permanent brain damage. Not so with MS222.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 826
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:09 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK
Location: Southampton

Re: When to trim?

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Depending on the other fishes in your tank you may be able to raise the salinity slightly of your current tank. The link below describes that Platies can adapt to low salinity systems:
http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/Projects/FAQ/6e.html
Post Reply