food question
food question
im wondering if feeding my puffers mussel will be giving them enough range of nutrients (plus whatever they pick off the liverock)
they only seem to want to eat mussels! there is all different kinds of 'meat' in the mussel, so i wonder if mussels alone will be giving them what they need?
they only seem to want to eat mussels! there is all different kinds of 'meat' in the mussel, so i wonder if mussels alone will be giving them what they need?
- xrayjeeper83
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 4167
- Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon - Location (country): USA
- Location: Orange Park, FL
Re: food question
you can get liquid vitamins that you soak the food in before feeding it to them. Put some in the water you use to thaw the mussels out.
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
- purplecandle
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 2019
- Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer - Location (country): USA (NC)
Re: food question
I have some mussel addicts too 
Once I started feeding them less, they started to eat more varieties of food..
Feeding them everyday "I want a mussel, I will wait for one"
Feeding every other day "I don't care what that is I am hungry"
Once I started feeding them less, they started to eat more varieties of food..
Feeding them everyday "I want a mussel, I will wait for one"
Feeding every other day "I don't care what that is I am hungry"
-
RTR
- Mentor
- Posts: 6155
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 4:39 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): East Coast, USA
Re: food question
Young, small in relation to adult size puffers do need feeding more often than every other day. But skipping a day will definitely increase their appetite and keep them from being spoiled to one particular food. When trained to eat a variety of foods, they are more likely to get a well-balanced. diet So I strongly agree w/purplecandle's technique for training them to a variety of foods.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
- mairdan13
- Dwarf Puffer
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:57 pm
- My Puffers: Four F8's
- Location (country): wales, united kingdom
- Location: Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, United Kingdom
Re: food question
what are you giving them for their beaks?
Do the mussels have shells intact?
Do the mussels have shells intact?
smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast...
-
RTR
- Mentor
- Posts: 6155
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 4:39 pm
- Gender: Male
- Location (country): East Coast, USA
Re: food question
The mussels are open, but the scraping needed to get the goodies out is great for the incisors IME.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
- purplecandle
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 2019
- Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 pm
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer - Location (country): USA (NC)
Re: food question
mairdan13 wrote:what are you giving them for their beaks?
Do the mussels have shells intact?
Poofs eating Mussel
- mairdan13
- Dwarf Puffer
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:57 pm
- My Puffers: Four F8's
- Location (country): wales, united kingdom
- Location: Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, United Kingdom
Re: food question
brilliant video, love it...
would you recommend this for F8's?
and.. (Stupid question coming, buckle up...) the mussels are raw or cooked?
It's just that the shells are open..
would you recommend this for F8's?
and.. (Stupid question coming, buckle up...) the mussels are raw or cooked?
It's just that the shells are open..
smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast...
-
jus85411
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: none currently :(
- Location (country): USA
- Location: Philadelphia Area
Re: food question
you should only get raw food, cooked food lost pretty much all beneficial nutrients that the puff needs with it being raw. the mussell should be frozen when you get it and when you defrost the shell opens a little if its not already from before freezing. defrost them in tank water with vitamins, pry it open the rest of the way, drop them in and you got yourself some happy puffs
as long as they like the shell on mussell. my GSP didnt like the mussell on the shell but would love the frozen cubes of mussell
- mairdan13
- Dwarf Puffer
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:57 pm
- My Puffers: Four F8's
- Location (country): wales, united kingdom
- Location: Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, United Kingdom
Re: food question
cool!
ok, I'll give it a go... can you recommend a type / brand of vitamins that you would soak them in prior to feeding?
my F8's are still young but they love snail sheel so I'm hopeful about the mussel shell, they're used to finely chopped mussels...
ok, I'll give it a go... can you recommend a type / brand of vitamins that you would soak them in prior to feeding?
my F8's are still young but they love snail sheel so I'm hopeful about the mussel shell, they're used to finely chopped mussels...
smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast...
-
jus85411
- Mbu Puffer
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: none currently :(
- Location (country): USA
- Location: Philadelphia Area
Re: food question
what SG are you at? that would pretty much be the factor on which is suggested. for marine its Selcon Gel and Vita Chem for freshwater i believe. i dont know what you would use if your between in brackish
- mairdan13
- Dwarf Puffer
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:57 pm
- My Puffers: Four F8's
- Location (country): wales, united kingdom
- Location: Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, United Kingdom
Re: food question
jus85411 wrote:what SG are you at? that would pretty much be the factor on which is suggested. for marine its Selcon Gel and Vita Chem for freshwater i believe. i dont know what you would use if your between in brackish
I'm light brackish, running at around 1.005 - 1.006
smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast...