Hello

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Post Reply
User avatar
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
Posts: 904
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:10 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.
Location: S.W. OH

Re: Hello

Post by JRC3 »

That's tank has nice dimensions for it's size. I think adding another DP might be risky unless you were lucky enough to get two females. If you do add an otto just wait for a few months so the tank has some good algae and diatoms for it since that is pretty much all they like to eat. you'll probably still have to try and supplement the oto's diet with some algae wafers or zucchini. And I would choose between either the oto or the extra DP with a preference towards the oto and I would even leave an adult ghost shrimp in there and see how that goes. Your little guy probably won't eat the guppies so they have to go back to the store unless you have a place for them at home.

Your little DP looks a bit skinny, hopefully he just needs the right food and doesn't have any internal parasites. For food mine devour frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. With just one DP in an office setting you'll have to find away of splitting the frozen cubes up and storing them...Do you have a little office fridge? For feeding a pair of tweezers work great and helps to prevent over feeding.

Also, I hope your tank has been *cycled and it just needs some more decor. I would add a timer to the light so it will come on over the weekend and stay on for a few hours after work.

Good luck and welcome.

*Tank cycling (Just in case)
library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
User avatar
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 4167
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA
Location: Orange Park, FL

Re: Hello

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

otos are best in groups, and with that size tank a group of otos would over stock it(I say this but I only have one cause my puffer ate the other 2)

Love the tank, i agree you do need more decorations. I would put a piece of small drift wood and tons of live plants. Also freeze dried foods have very little nutritional value. Frozen bloodworms would be much better
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
User avatar
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
Posts: 3979
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:04 pm
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB
Location: South Yorkshire, UK

Re: Hello

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Awwww... he doesn't look like a killer to me! :roflmfao:

Yes, definitely need more plants in that tank. Puffer like to hide in plants, it makes them feel safe. And if you add some plants and decorations, it will give you puffer something to do by allowing him to swim around and through plants and/or ornaments. Shame you don't have a bigger tank because I prefer to have a group of DP's rather than just one (of course that's my preference, maybe not everyone's). :wink:

And I agree with xray, most DP's love their frozen bloodworm, I know mine do. :)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new puffer! :hello:
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
User avatar
Hilly
Mentor
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:36 pm
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Current: Tetraodon Lineatus
Previous:
Tetraodon Sabahensis
Montrete Abei
Tetraodon Biocellatus
Carinotetraodon Salivator
Location (country): UK
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK

Re: Hello

Post by Hilly »

[welcome]
Hilly
Post Reply