Hi,
My last puffer died a week ago and I am hoping that someone can tell me where I went wrong so I can try some again.
Current tank conditions
pH 8.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrates 40
spec grav 1.005
I first set up my 20 gallon tank the first week in January and adjusted the gravity to 1.005 with sea salt and let my small Penguin power filter run for several days but didn't actually cycle the tank. I then bought 2 F8's (about 1.5" long) and 2 GSP's (about 1" long).
I was feeding them frozen brine shrimp and they seemed to be doing okay and getting along pretty well, but after a couple of days, one of the GSP's was curling up and swimming sideways and died the next day. The other 3 were looking fine. I was doing 20% water changes every 3-4 days.
After the first one died, I decided that I should start testing the water. The first time I tested, I got NH3 of 2 and NO3 of 10. The ammonia went down slowly until it was 0.25 a week later. In another week, the nitrate had climbed to 40. This is pretty much where the tank has stayed since then.
About this time, I also added some washed CaribSea Ocean Direct sand over the gravel in half the tank.Things seemed fine, the 3 puffers were getting along fine and I was feeding them frozen brine shrimp and the occasionally cocktail shrimp tails or crab shell with some crabmeat inside. They all ate fairly vigorously.
Over the next week, the F8's were starting to slow down on their eating, but they seemed healthy. The GSP was still eating well.
I had bought some distilled water, which I thought would keep the nitrate a little lower, and I did a water change and added the 3 gallons of distilled after first adjusting the gravity to 1.005
It was the next day after this that I lost the first F8. He was very weak and was barely alive in the morning and died soon after. It was then I discovered that the pH was down to 7.8 and the nitrate was up to 80. I did an 80% water change using tap water and adjusted everything before I added the water to the aquarium. The nitrates were down to 20 after the change and the pH was up to 8. I lost the 2nd F8 the next day, but the remaining GSP survived and was doing fine.
The remaining GSP was the most aggressive one from the beginning and we had named him Spike. Over the next few weeks, his appetite also slacked off, although he continued to eat the frozen brine shrimp, he lost interest in the shrimp tails and crab meat. I bought 3 ghost shrimp, which he didn't try to eat.
Sadly, the ghost shrimp are the only things alive in the tank now. Spike eventually lost his appetite, grew weaker and started just drifting in the water until he died a few days ago. I had him for about 5 weeks.
If you would like to see videos of Spike and one of the F8's, it is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u59CIapHMRM
This video of Spike was taken a week and a half before he died:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OyAG9DANVw
I am planning to get another puffer (just one at a time from now on) soon, but I would sure appreciate any help you all can give me. I have been reading this forum for the last month and find it incredibly useful, but I was unable to figure out how to keep my poor puffers alive.
Thanks!
Don Crozier
Ofallon, Missouri (near St Louis)
My last GSP died, can you help?
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!
Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.
1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.
2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.
3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)
4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.
5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.
We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.
While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.
Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Read this before posting!!
Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.
1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.
2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.
3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)
4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.
5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.
We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.
While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.
Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: My last GSP died, can you help?
Wow, so sorry for all that loss in your tank,
Puffers are one of the worst fish to cycle a tank with. They have no scale or gill covers, no protection from the very toxic ammonia nitrite that cycling produces.
Even thought it sounds like the tank finally did cycle, your overstocked tank with high ammonia & nitrite was just too much for them, did enough permanent damage to kill them.
Now that you have an empty tank. Start reading! You can keep this tank cycled by adding ammonia, as per this article: library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
GSP: library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
F8: library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
Even thought it sounds like the tank finally did cycle, your overstocked tank with high ammonia & nitrite was just too much for them, did enough permanent damage to kill them.
Now that you have an empty tank. Start reading! You can keep this tank cycled by adding ammonia, as per this article: library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/
GSP: library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
F8: library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- chiang01
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:08 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: zero
- Location (country): US
- Location: St Louis, MO
Re: My last GSP died, can you help?
Thank you so much. I never realized how important tank cycling is until I started reading your forum. So I guess that all of the fish were so stressed from the initially uncycled tank that they were too weakened to survive.
I was surprised that they went downhill so quickly. One day they were active and happy, the next they were looking a bit peaked, the next they died.
The ghost shrimp still seem to be doing fine and are noticeably more active now that Spike is gone. Spike seemed to regard them more as a curiosity than food. If they were in his way when he wanted to duck through a narrow opening in the rocks, he would pause for just a bit, then nudge them out of his way.
I'm going to look for some bumblebee gobies soon and just one F8 or GSP, whatever looks healthy. I am also thinking about setting up a small freshwater tank for plants and snails.
Thanks!
Don
I was surprised that they went downhill so quickly. One day they were active and happy, the next they were looking a bit peaked, the next they died.
The ghost shrimp still seem to be doing fine and are noticeably more active now that Spike is gone. Spike seemed to regard them more as a curiosity than food. If they were in his way when he wanted to duck through a narrow opening in the rocks, he would pause for just a bit, then nudge them out of his way.
I'm going to look for some bumblebee gobies soon and just one F8 or GSP, whatever looks healthy. I am also thinking about setting up a small freshwater tank for plants and snails.
Thanks!
Don
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: My last GSP died, can you help?
Just be sure you have completed your fishless cycling, before you purchase ANY fish!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- chiang01
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:08 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: zero
- Location (country): US
- Location: St Louis, MO
Re: My last GSP died, can you help?
> Just be sure you have completed your fishless cycling, before you purchase ANY fish!
Isn't the tank already cycled? I've kept the tank just as it was with the power filter going, etc, and am feeding the ghost shrimp every 3 days or so. I thought as long as the NH3 / NO2 / NO3 levels stay as they are, the tank would be fine.
Isn't the tank already cycled? I've kept the tank just as it was with the power filter going, etc, and am feeding the ghost shrimp every 3 days or so. I thought as long as the NH3 / NO2 / NO3 levels stay as they are, the tank would be fine.
- Myaj
- Tech Team
- Posts: 4587
- Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:27 pm
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish - Location: SE Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: My last GSP died, can you help?
With no fish in the tank to keep it cycled, the bacteria will die off to only support what is in there (the shrimp). Add a larger source of ammonia (a new fish) and it will have to recycle again.
Two things that are sticking out here for me...
One is that your tank isn't big enough for a GSP, they need 30 gallons minimum, so stick to one Figure 8 and maybe a couple bumblebee gobies.
Two, do you know what water changes are? If you do 50% weekly, and don't overstock the tank, that will keep your levels nicely under control ( you want nitrates under 20, preferably under 10 for puffers). Clean water means healthy fish, and its the cheapest, easiest way to keep them happy and healthy.
Two things that are sticking out here for me...
One is that your tank isn't big enough for a GSP, they need 30 gallons minimum, so stick to one Figure 8 and maybe a couple bumblebee gobies.
Two, do you know what water changes are? If you do 50% weekly, and don't overstock the tank, that will keep your levels nicely under control ( you want nitrates under 20, preferably under 10 for puffers). Clean water means healthy fish, and its the cheapest, easiest way to keep them happy and healthy.
- Pufferpunk
- Queen Admin
- Posts: 32984
- Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
- Gender: Female
- My Puffers: Puffers I have kept:
T lineatus
T miurus
A modestus
T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
C lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles - Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC
- Location: Greenville, SC
- Contact:
Re: My last GSP died, can you help?
A few ghost shrimp will not put out enough bioload to support the bacteria needed to combat a puffer's waste. If you can find Dr Tim's bacteria product (NOTHING ELSE WILL DO!!!), you could add that to your filter at the same time as your fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
- chiang01
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:08 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: zero
- Location (country): US
- Location: St Louis, MO
Re: My last GSP died, can you help?
> the bacteria will die off to only support what is in there
OK, now I understand.
I've been doing 20% water changes every 3-4 days. I tested my tap water once before I added it back to the tank and the NO3 level was 10, so that's why I tried the distilled.
Thanks!
Don
OK, now I understand.
I've been doing 20% water changes every 3-4 days. I tested my tap water once before I added it back to the tank and the NO3 level was 10, so that's why I tried the distilled.
Thanks!
Don
- chiang01
- Puffer Fry
- Posts: 11
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:08 pm
- Gender: Male
- My Puffers: zero
- Location (country): US
- Location: St Louis, MO
Re: My last GSP died, can you help?
Thanks again, I'll check out Dr Tims!
don
don
