Two Puffers on a 20G Tank?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
brodyx
Puffer Fry

Two Puffers on a 20G Tank?

Post by brodyx »

Hey there , im new to puffers , well , almost new , i have a 20G planted aquarium .. With:

1 F8 Puffer
1 Platty
1 Plecostomus
1 Paradise Fish

And i use to have a Monodactylus but it died 3 days ago :'( , he started to open his mouth and his gills expanded , 1 day after that he started to gasp for air on the surface till he died :S...

Well now i bought 2 new fish , 1 F8 puffer , and one Scat.. Will they be ok in my 20G community tank? I already got my Scat in the tank and he has been fighting with my Paradise Fish all day..Well hehe all 30 Min since i got him in there , and the Paradise Fish is the one looking for him :P...

My F8 is in QT and i dunno if he would give me any problems with my other F8...Well , can it be done ??? Can i get my F8 in the tank with my other F8 and fish?

Thnxs for the help...
.o(Puff!)o. ... - :S "Nice".
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Ok, you need to 1st decide if you want FW or BW fish. The F8s & scat are BW & the rest are FW (the platy would appreciate a little aquarium salt, but it isn't necessary). BW is made with marine salt & quite a bit of it. FW fish do not like to live in BW conditions.

Definately return the scat, as it will grow as large as your outstreched hand--way too big for that tank! Your tank is the perfect size for 2 F8s & a few bumblebee gobies, but that would be it. Please read all you can about your puffers here. Start out with the Library.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
brodyx
Puffer Fry

ahhh

Post by brodyx »

What if i keep the scat just for a while ?? im gonna get a bigger tank (maybe 55G) in bout 6 months...

Oh and i 4got to tell you that , my Water is already BW , has 1.005 of salt and my FW fish seem to be adapting very well..

So can my scat be there for just bout 5 months??? and im using FW salt .. ¿Should i change to Pure Marine Salt :D? Thnxs for answering
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You must use marine salt to make BW. The bioload of your tank will handle 2 F8s & maybe a couple of small gobies. That's it! Scats are extremely messy fish & will cause bad things to happen to your tank, if you keep it in there. You cannot kep FW fish comfortably in BW, for any length of time. Please don't!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Novaz
Puffer Fry

Post by Novaz »

Also regarding scats: I had a silver scat that grew in 6 months from really tiny (and cute I might add), to about 6" in length, and 3" tall. During that time it ate all of my plants, and most of the food I put in (they are really fast, and really greedy)

I took mine back to the store and swapped it for a bucket of plants to replace what it had eaten.
brodyx
Puffer Fry

Thnsx

Post by brodyx »

Cool thnxs for all the advise :D... i will return my scat to my LFS and trade it for some gobies if i can find some cuz here in mexico there´s not a lot to choose from...

By the way.. My Monodactylus died not so long ago , he was ok in the tank , i had him for 15 days , but then one afternoon i saw him with his mouth WIDE open and his gills were all open too ... like if he couldnt "breathe" and got all pale and white .. so i started to treat him with Green malaquite after reading some articles on diseases...after some hours he was ok , but then after an hour he started to gasp for air in the surface and slowly died :S , ...By the information i wrote here ..does anyone has an idea of what happened to him? ¿What disease should i blame it to? :S
TheSmJ
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Two Fig8s

Post by TheSmJ »

You know what it means to "cycle" a tank, correct? Did you do it before adding fish?
brodyx
Puffer Fry

YUP

Post by brodyx »

Yup did it...in fact my tank has been "stable" since bout a month , he was the only sick fish in it.. my other fish are doing great
TheSmJ
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Two Fig8s

Post by TheSmJ »

If the fish are dieing one after the other, then chances are none of them are doing all that great.
brodyx
Puffer Fry

hmmm...

Post by brodyx »

No fish has died , only my Mono...and i dont know why hehe thats why im asking if someone can identify the disease with the info i gave on my post :P
MichaelHaag23
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Sydney

Re: Two Puffers on a 20G Tank?

Post by MichaelHaag23 »

brodyx wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:57 pm Hey there , im new to puffers , well , almost new , i have a 20G planted aquarium .. With:

1 F8 Puffer
1 Platty
1 Plecostomus
1 Paradise Fish

And i use to have a Monodactylus but it died 3 days ago :'( , he started to open his mouth and his gills expanded , 1 day after that he started to gasp for air on the surface till he died :S...

Well now i bought 2 new fish , 1 F8 puffer , and one Scat.. Will they be ok in my 20G community tank? I already got my Scat in the tank and he has been fighting with my Paradise Fish all day..Well hehe all 30 Min since i got him in there , and the Paradise Fish is the one looking for him :P...

My F8 is in QT and i dunno if he would give me any problems with my other F8...Well , can it be done ??? Can i get my F8 in the tank with my other F8 and fish?

Thnxs for the help...
I wonder this too... :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Re: Two Puffers on a 20G Tank?

Post by Pufferpunk »

This post is from 2005.