Page 1 of 1

Emergency - Massive MBU having issues after long transport

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2025 6:32 pm
by Thefredpit
I transported a 26" mbu 1100 miles the other day to its new owner via 40g tote. I transport monster fish across the country all the time and usually without any issues. Because the ph of the tanks I usually deal with are all around 6.8-7.2 I never really think about it, however the water at the location he came from is always extremely high(8-9), and has been a problem in the past, this time we believe it was probably 8.5. Unfortunately I forgot about it and the tank he went into was 7.2. I had done a 40% waterchange on the tote about 6 hours after picking him up with water around 7.0 ph. When arriving at the new owner he did have some tank water added slowly over 45 minutes before putting him into the 600g aquarium unfortunately he has been having a difficulty sinking. I figured he might of swallowed air so we treated him with a low dosage of epsom salt and prazipro. It has been 2 days and he is still having problems but doesn't appear to be getting worse. It was yesterday when I remembered about the ph problems at the other location. I know that this drastic of a drop will usually kill very quickly and the waterchange mid transport is probably what saved him. I also know that there isn't much of a treatment and a major issue with "ph shock" is how it compromises the immune system. Is there anything that can improve his odds?