Greetings from a Sunny Island

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Shrimpy0z
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 F8 Puffers "Bean" and "Pebble)
Location (country): Singapore

Greetings from a Sunny Island

Post by Shrimpy0z »

Hi All!

I'm from Singapore and I've been keeping fishes/neocaridina shrimp for the past 4 years and I've finally decided to give keeping puffers a shot. For now I am keen on keeping 2 types of puffers, but am still researching about them so that I can provide a good environment for their growth.

The setups that I have in mind are:
3 Pea Puffers (1 Male and 2 Female) inside of a 64L (2 Feet) tank with hardscape and java ferns. This is the setup that I am more confident in as I've had previous freshwater fishkeeping experience and from what I've read seems to be an okay sized tank to puffer ratio to provide ample swimming and exploring space for them.

However, the one that I am still unsure about are the F8 Puffers. I've decided to convert my existing 4 feet (~100 Gallon) freshwater tank into a low brackish setup to house maybe 2 F8 puffers and some bumblebee gobys, but seeing the mixed responses online about F8s with tankmates, I will probably get the F8s first to see their temperament before deciding on tank mates.

One of the biggest question that I have is about hard foods for F8 puffers. As I do not have enough space to set up a dedicated snail tank to provide food for the F8s, how do I feed them clams to trim their beaks? As their mouths are much smaller than the clams. My train of thought is that if the clams are smashed, they can easily get to the meat without having to crunch on the shells. Or am I mistaken on that part?

Other than that, I'll continue browsing the forums and reading up more before getting my first puffers. I'm excited to start keeping puffers and I hope to learn more from you guys! Thank you!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Greetings from a Sunny Island

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Shrimpy0z
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 2 F8 Puffers "Bean" and "Pebble)
Location (country): Singapore

Re: Greetings from a Sunny Island

Post by Shrimpy0z »

Thank you for the resources!