Fahaka Puffer Rescue

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
akadios
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Fahaka Puffer Rescue

Post by akadios »

my daughter and I were in a new local fish store that just opened checking out stock and meeting owner when some one brought in a 7” fahaka puffer in a tide pod container and said he couldn't keep him because he was killing all his other fish…. He didnt seem much interested in hanging out just dropped it off and left. The LFS owner was looking around not sure where to put it, he has mostly salt water and his freshwater stock wall was full and the display tanks were small. He seemed frustrated and said he really didnt have a place to put the fish…. So now i have a Rescue Fahaka Puffer named Pauli the Puffy by my 4 year old.

Right now it is in my 40 gallon breeder quarantine tank, i am going to be getting a whole new setup for Pauli. This will be my biggest tank (I have a 55 with the GSPs I rescued 4 years ago that you all helped me save and a 90 Gallon reef). I want to make sure that i am planning the right setup.

I can fit (and get my annoyed but loving wife to approve) either a 6ft 125 (18” wide) or a 4 ft 120 (24” wide) I am unsure which is a better option. I am partial to the 120 based on location if it is really irrelevant.

I am planning on using Ultra Fine CarebSea Super Naturals Moonlight White Sand. I read that it should be deep enough for the puffer to bury itself in, is that accurate?

I was unsure specifically what the aquadecor should look like, i heard they like plants but the sand wont work well for planting, what do you suggest, also should i put rock and maybe a big driftwood in the tank?

Beyond the setup, currently i havent been able to get him to eat, this includes cut up shrimp, live shrimp, clams, live snails, and one of my daughters mollys… Pauli just doesnt want to eat (its been 2 days now since his tide pod container adventure). How long will it take for her to start eating and what should i start with.

Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka Puffer Rescue

Post by Pufferpunk »

How lucky that puffer is! I'm surprised the owner was willing to take a fish he had no room for.
Longer footprint is always better, so you'd want the 125g. A large driftwood cave is a must! Play sand from the hardware store is much cheaper. Just be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse & then rinse some more.
Fahakas love to sulk, especially when moved to a new environment. Try live earthworms.
Keep a close eye on the parameters.
https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldw ... care-sheet
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
akadios
Puffer Fry

Post by akadios »

So the width of 18 on the 125 is enough for them to spin? Do you use rocks too or just a wood cave? My guess is it was an inexperienced person who saw it at a petco or something when it was a baby. The good news is he gave it up. If you meant the lfs owner it wasnt much of a choice the guy basically said i cant keep this fish its killing all my fish and put the tide pod container down. Even if he said no at the point someone has the fish in a tide pod container rejection would likely just mean toilet.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I doubt the puffer will get >18".
Unfortunately, the puffer may have been poisoned by detergent from the container.
Did you try earthworms?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

akadios
Puffer Fry

Post by akadios »

So they are now eating earth worms that has worked, i have tried some other things but so far interest has been low. I am perfectly happy at the moment that they are eating worms. Moving forward once in the bigger tank with a sand bottom i will toss some snails in and see. Color has come back a good bit and doing well in the 40b.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Great!

akadios
Puffer Fry

Post by akadios »

Got pauli moved into its cycled tank, he is loving the aquascape and loves to play in the bubbles from the sponge filter. So far he hasnt eaten any of the fish i had in the tank while it cycled but is otherwise eating. will only eat live though, still not taking anything that isnt moving lol. My LFS says the local chinese market sells live prawns which is a relatively inexpensive way to get shelled foods. He wont eat snails i was wondering if anyone had any ideas? Should i drop snails in there and let him find them? Even if he is hungry if j drop a snail in he just watches it fall down and then stares at me waiting for his worm
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »