pea puffer not eating

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
autumnal
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

pea puffer not eating

Post by autumnal »

Hi! I've just joined the site so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I have a tank of six pea puffers, I'm relatively new- got them around July. Up until this point I've been feeding them live blackworms semi regularly but cannot access any right now. My one pea is very stubborn and appears to have decided no live worms means no eating. I'm very worried about her- will she be alright? Is there anything I can do to make her eat frozen? Do I have no choice but to get live worms? She's looking thin, but her belly isn't concave or anything yet. Everything else seems normal and the other peas eat frozen just fine. ImageImage
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: pea puffer not eating

Post by Pufferpunk »

Unfortunately, there has been a live worm shortage for close to a year now. Same thing happened to me. I lost a few to starvation but the others eat pretty much anything frozen now.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
autumnal
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Re: pea puffer not eating

Post by autumnal »

Pufferpunk wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:34 pm Unfortunately, there has been a live worm shortage for close to a year now. Same thing happened to me. I lost a few to starvation but the others eat pretty much anything frozen now.
Oh dear, definitely not what I wanted to hear. Sorry about the puffers you lost. I've only found one place that consistently has them, but it's in another state. So while feasible, and I'll do it if it's all that would keep her alive, it's really not sustainable. How long can she avoid eating until it becomes a severe problem?
(Also, is this how I reply to posts properly? :D )