Fungus

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Fungus

Post by Troender »

My new puffer has arrived, and it has fungus! It had fungus on arrival. And it's been years since I medicated a puffer, so all my knowledge is forgotten and gone. All my medication turns out to be out of date, several years ago! The local pet shop is tiny, and has very few medication to offer. I have no idea if they are puffer friendly. Some advice is needed! What to do to fight the fungus. What must I avoid when it comes to medication? What can I do?
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fungus

Post by Pufferpunk »

I do hope you informed the seller of this?
https://www.pufferfishenthusiastsworldw ... blue-baths
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

Yes, I've told him. But I can't complain, as I got the puffer for free. The problem with Methylene blue, is that very few pet shops sell it in Norway, and certainly none of the local ones. I've found one shop in the south of Norway, but it will take its time in the mail. So far I've medicated Ragnhild with salt, and at least she isn't getting worse. I even maybe see a slight improvement. But she certainly is stressed, because she has puffed a few times. The first time she puffed, she spooked herself, by bumping the heater into the glass (which made a sound), so I can understand that puff. But now I've seen her puff twice after that. Both times in the morning, right before the light comes on. I call it her morning stretch. :lol:
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You can't order it from Amazon?
What kind of puffer?
I assumed it was mail-ordered.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

Ragnhild is supposed to be a cutcutia. But I will post a pic here for identification, if I ever get a pic of her. She hides all day, and only comes out when it's dark. But she has been through a lot of stress lately. She first moved from Sweden, and a few days later, she moved to me. Unfortunately she will soon have another move, as I will move across half of Norway in a month. Yes, I know. Bad timing! Very bad timing. But hopefully Ragnhild will be well and strong by then. And maybe know me a little better.

I don't think ordering through Amazon will go any quicker. Besides it's not allowed to import medication for animals into Norway unless you are a shop or something like that. Well, to be honest, I've done it several times anyway. But then I have to ask the dealer to NOT write fish medication on the custom clearance tag, or it will be returned when it reaches the customs. Yes, silly rules, but that's how it is. Ragnhild has improved a little bit, just with adding salt. But she still has a long way to go. And she puffed again this morning. This seems to be a daily event right now. I have no idea why she does this. In all my years with puffers, I've only seen puffers puff twice before I got Ragnhild. Could it be the salt? Or the stress of being sick? It could be that she is seeing Harald (my baileyi) in the neighbour tank, but I am not convinced it is. She doesn't seem scared when she puffs. She is very calm, and doesn't seem to focus on anything spesific. On the other hand, I don't see the exact moment she puffs, only when she already is puffed up. And it's always in the dark.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

How much salt are you using?

Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

The amount that is written on the packet. This is salt for fish tanks, for this kind of use. It has its own measuring spoon.

There is nothing wrong with her appetite by the way. She just got her daily two earthworms. And even though the lights were on and she saw me, she attacked those earthworms at once. And they were gone in record time. :D Luckily she has had good appetite all the way.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

Ragnhild is now well! I ended up not using Methylene Blue when I finally got it. I didn't want to give Ragnhild the stress of being caught twice a day, and put in a bath of Methylene Blue. Ragnhild doesn't handle changes very well. So the stress alone could have finished her off. But using salt worked. It took a long time, but in the end she was well!
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's great! This is always my concern using the bath treatments, too.